+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked
    32
    Reviews
    0

    Default Opinion please - Fresh v. Frozen and Testing

    I can't make my mind up and after some opinions please...

    I am 41 years old and this is my last IVF cycle.

    On Friday we had 7 eggs collected, 4 mature and were fertilised, 2 fertilised normally. They've continued to do their thing and now we have two embryos that look good, at 8 cells each.

    When we thought we were looking at 4 embryos, we were going to do a freeze all, and test them, at FS's suggestion. Then do an FET. We've opted to test embryos purely because of my age, we are not looking for anything in particular.

    Now that we only have 2 embryos, I'm no sure what to do. Do I...

    1) go ahead with fresh transfer tmrw and freeze/test the other.
    2) freeze both, test both, and do an FET
    3) or, do I take my chances and not worry about testing as we onlly have two anyway

    What would you do??

    I need a crystal ball...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,612
    Thanks
    1,608
    Thanked
    1,042
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't do the testing for only 2 embryos. We've had 7 embies tested and 2 of them gave no results (invalid test). Would hate to spend all that $$ to get no answers.

    Does your clinic allow embryo banking? Ie/ freeze embies now, but test later with another batch of embies.

    If this is possible I would bank the 2 you have and do another fresh cycle to get more embies for testing.

    If not I would do a double fresh transfer and take my chances.

    Good luck!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Townsville
    Posts
    791
    Thanks
    220
    Thanked
    364
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monicker View Post
    I can't make my mind up and after some opinions please...

    I am 41 years old and this is my last IVF cycle.

    On Friday we had 7 eggs collected, 4 mature and were fertilised, 2 fertilised normally. They've continued to do their thing and now we have two embryos that look good, at 8 cells each.

    When we thought we were looking at 4 embryos, we were going to do a freeze all, and test them, at FS's suggestion. Then do an FET. We've opted to test embryos purely because of my age, we are not looking for anything in particular.

    Now that we only have 2 embryos, I'm no sure what to do. Do I...

    1) go ahead with fresh transfer tmrw and freeze/test the other.
    2) freeze both, test both, and do an FET
    3) or, do I take my chances and not worry about testing as we onlly have two anyway

    What would you do??

    I need a crystal ball...

    Monicker fresh transfers are supposed to have better success rates than frozen ones. I would probably just transfer them both now (if there is no actual specific reason for testing the embies i.e no medical reasons for you or DH) but it is totally your decision.

    Good luck with your decision.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked
    32
    Reviews
    0
    Thanks ladies.

    We just can't afford another full stim cycle, Simpson Desert, which is why I've decided this was my last full cycle and we'll just work with whatever embryos we get.

    I've left a msg for my FS to call me back so I will see what he recommends too - I have a feeling he will say to test both. He doesn't see the point in transferring an embryo we know is not 'normal'. But, I mean, plenty of people continue to do cycles without any testing at all.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked
    32
    Reviews
    0
    Just an update ... we've decided to go ahead with a fresh tfr tmrw and freeze the other embryo (if suitable) without any testing. This is what my FS advised and to be honest, I'm happy to go with it...I was just happy for someone to make the decision for me!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    462
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked
    701
    Reviews
    0
    Good luck for your transfer!

    I've just completed a cycle with the aim of testing via CGH (my EPU was also last week) so I can relate to how much of a rollercoaster it can be, and the not wanting to make decisions. Best wishes for your frostie - I've had better results from FETs than fresh transfers, and my clinic says that success rates are very similar, but this might vary between clinics.

    SimpsonDesert - I tried making a case to my FS to banki (do several stim cycles, with biopsy and freeze after each, then doing the CGH for all of them together). This was quickly shot down - was told that NHMRC guidelines don't permit this. I'd be interested to see what the attitudes of other clinics are though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,612
    Thanks
    1,608
    Thanked
    1,042
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Glad you've come to a decision that you're happy with Monicker. Best of luck with your fresh transfer and hope the other embie makes it into the freezer.

    Spring rain- I know there is a limit to how many frosties you can have before being allowed to stim again, but I've never heard that embryo banking isn't allowed. I can't speak for other clinics but I know Genea does it. There's a lady called Scarlet on the CGH thread who did it that way. The guideline may be more recent however 'guidelines' are not laws... The clinics should still have the flexibility to offer it.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

    SpringRain  (16-10-2013)

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    387
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked
    227
    Reviews
    0
    Mi Monicker,

    I hope the transfer went well and hope you get some wonderful news shortly.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rozzie1976 For This Useful Post:

    Monicker  (17-10-2013)

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,728
    Thanks
    3,744
    Thanked
    4,032
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would have done what you've ended up doing. If you have a heap of embryos and money testing is good, but if you're limited with both I'd just work with what you have.

    I've embryo banked in the past. I had 9 day 3 embryos on ice, yet did another stim cycle. My doctor wasn't know for following the rules though. My eggs weren't getting any younger.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

    Monicker  (20-10-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25-02-2013, 18:00
  2. Replies: 91
    Last Post: 12-02-2013, 16:58
  3. Recipes with fresh strawberries
    By jez in forum General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-01-2013, 10:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Life FertilityLife Fertility Clinic is a boutique fertility clinic located in Spring Hill, Brisbane. Our dedicated fertility and IVF ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›