+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    All this is just another reason to have a national curriculum and uniform schooling across Australia.

There's no qsc? in nsw.
    What's that other thing we have though - the assessment marks rankings ? Not sure how it works but something about taking the schools average marks?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    You wouldn't if you've never had any experience in the Queensland schooling system.

Yes it is very confusing. If you're bored read this.
    http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/downloads/..._op_basics.pdf

The fact that they need an 8-page leaflet to explain really sums up how stupid the system is.

No. Yes to health field. Yes there are other ways to get into medicine. However my original point was that simply going to different school, my final OP would have been different. Even my principal admitted this to me.

This thread was about where did private/public schooling get you, my point was that private schools often have artificially inflated high OP scores due to their ability to prevent low-achieving students from sitting the QCS test. Whether or not you agree with this, it's still something to factor in if you're expecting your child will want to apply for university.

Why do people bully others? Because they're @ssholes and think it's funny that they have the ability to do so.

Because of it's extra curricular programs on offer in sporting and cultural pursuits. National champion basketball team, national champion volleyball team, rugby excellence school, debating, oratory, band, orchestra etc etc. International student exchange program. And it offers an alternative curriculum, the International Baccalaureate Diploma.

Some high schools (mine in particular) like to be able to "brag" about the fact that they've got x% of students op-eligble and x% of students applying for university without actually considering the fact that some of their students shouldn't really be doing that. One of the issues with my school was how heavily university and getting an OP was pushed, when really their should have been more encouragement about looking tafe, apprenticeships, full-time work etc. But that's individual issue with the school, not Queensland system.
    Sounds like my old school. Was it in South Brisbane by chance?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    In regards to QCS...

Plenty of subjects are OP-eligible... for me, I did Art, English, Drama, Maths A, Film and Television and Ancient History. All OP-eligible. Plenty of the kids who got crappy results did those subjects, and still did QCS.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    In regards to QCS...

Plenty of subjects are OP-eligible... for me, I did Art, English, Drama, Maths A, Film and Television and Ancient History. All OP-eligible. Plenty of the kids who got crappy results did those subjects, and still did QCS.
    I think it may depend on the school. My school had a huge selection of vocational subjects, as well as all your OP eligible subjects. If you wanted to bludge or didn't give a crap- it was vocational subjects all the way. The bulk of students that took this option didn't sit the QCS.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (14-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    OMG - my boss would be so cranky at that!! Goes to show how schools get their higher data though.
    I suspect some principals would be doing it as well. I blame myschool.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dh wants to put dd into a private school with an awesome reputation. Im not so keen. I want her to go to private school but I cant justify the cost. They sent us an info pack and the year (im not even sure if it was for a year or per term/semester or whatevs) would cost us 5,000 plus alllll of the extras they included in their however many page fee list. There were heaps of fees. Its ridiculous. We live right across from a public school and I dont see anything wrong with that one. Except the principal, I picked up a friends dd and the principal is a bi7ch.
    But yeah, im in two minds too. I want the best for dd but with dh being a teacher I think going to the school he teaches at would be best for her. Thats what I want anyway. Hubby doesn't want dd in his classes tho.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh oops. Just read the op again and see that I didnt andwer the question.

I went to public school. I skipped year 10, completed year 11 but didn't go to year 12. (I moved out when 15 and needed to earn money so had to work instead of school so I could survive after moving out of an abusive, drug and alcohol filled home)
    I have done a few tafe things since and have some certificates but to be honest I think for me all of the education side of things and career side can wait til im older. Im a stay at home mum to 19month old dd at the moment and am just happy being a mum for now im only 22 so why not.

Dh went to public school too. He completed year 12. Did a Batchelor of business at uni and then did some working with youth degree and 2 more degrees. Then started his masters of theology. (He has done quite a few so I cant remember which ones he has done, will ask tomorrow)

He then did his graduate diploma of education- senior years and is a high school teacher (in his 3rd almost 4th year teaching)

He is doing pretty well I think, having gone to caboolture high school (lol) Oh and dh is 30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySeeMonkeyDo View Post
    Dh wants to put dd into a private school with an awesome reputation. Im not so keen. I want her to go to private school but I cant justify the cost. They sent us an info pack and the year (im not even sure if it was for a year or per term/semester or whatevs) would cost us 5,000 plus alllll of the extras they included in their however many page fee list. There were heaps of fees. Its ridiculous. We live right across from a public school and I dont see anything wrong with that one. Except the principal, I picked up a friends dd and the principal is a bi7ch.
    But yeah, im in two minds too. I want the best for dd but with dh being a teacher I think going to the school he teaches at would be best for her. Thats what I want anyway. Hubby doesn't want dd in his classes tho.
    My DS1 currently attends my primary school (public) I would never teach himself though even though he learns very well with me. He doesn't listen as well to my instructions and I find myself not having the same amount of patience with him as the other kids in his class as I have high expectations of him. I've only taught him for one supply day and that was enough. I also found myself avoiding letting him answer question as even though he knew the answer (and I knew he did) I didn't want to seem like I was favouring him.

Next year I'll be teaching him one hour a week for science though as I teach science to all the year one classes as well as English, maths & art to two classes. I'm a part time teacher two days in one Year 1 class and one day in another and we swap over with the class next door so I teach science (for both my classes) and the ones next door and the other teaches cover history/sose.

It'll be strange writing his report card got myself for science but I'm very professional. He is already the highest performing student in his class (along with his friend) so academically I think he'll be fine. He growing up a lot socially too. He was 4 when he started prep and although he was intelligent is was very young and childish socially. Still is the class clown wanting a laugh.

Sorry went off track there myself!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Qld system also takes into account the school and the school's 'ranking' and past performances.

The school I went to was brand new and we were the first lot of year 12s through (and one of the first years to do the QCS I think) and because of that no 1s were allocated, despite students with high-handed VHA averages and As on the QCS.

Schools with an established academic record got plenty of 1s with students with the same marks.

It really is an odd system. The QCS test itself is fine and relatively simple, but how it gets applied to other marks and the school ranking is where it because far less simple.

I'm not sure how it works in comparison to the HSC?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on the child and also on the public school itself and the community in which the public school is situated. I went to a public school in Sydney's north shore in a really affluent area and the school received lots of support from the community. There was 3 other private high schools just in our suburb, and many more nearby. I loved my high school and would send my boys there if I could (not sure we are in the catchment area now). I went to private primary school for a couple of years and hated it. My brother went to the same private school until end of yr 10 and then did 11 & 12 in the same school as me. My sister did all of her schooling in public, including the same high school as us. My brother and I are both professional accountants in tax (he did a bachelor of business degree, plus CPA qualifications; I've done a bachelor of business, master of finance and CPA) he has his own accounting firm, earning over $300k pa and I'm currently on $100k+ pa but I work part time.. while my sister is an artist and pretty much unemployed. A lot of it has to do with the student although my sister is very smart and did go to uni.