Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Graves' disease

Good evening ladies.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with Graves' disease?

Did medication help you?

Did you fall pregnant ok?

I'm going in for more tests next week, just curious to hear from someone with experience.

Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had Grave's Disease for about 8 years. I was originally treated with medication (beta blockers and carbimozole) for 2 years. It didn't work for me and I eventually had radioactive iodine to kill the thyroid. I was fine for a year but after that have had to take thyroxin to keep my levels stable. I get my levels checked every 6 months and my dose adjusted if necessary.
    I fell pregnant naturally after trying for a few years. My age 37 was probably the greater issue with falling pregnant.
    During pregnancy I saw an endocrinologist who monitored me more regularly to make sure my dose was optimum for bub and I. Having Grave's was one of the things that made the hospital classify me as a high-risk pregnancy (being 37 & having GD were the others) so having a natural birth wasn't possible for me. I had an induced labour and constant internal monitoring of baby for distress during labour. I was able to vaginally birth and baby was born a healthy 3.1kg at 38 weeks gestation.
    Baby is now 6 months and doing well and I am back to my pre-pregnancy dose of thyroxin. Graves is relatively easy to manage and is well understood by the medical community. I hope your journey is an easy one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you so much for your reply! I haven't been diagnosed yet, I have to have an ultrasound on my throat first. My thyroid is over active and looking at the symptoms of graves', I have quite a few indicators. I'm nervous about it all.

You're story has given me a great understanding, thank you.

Did you find any dietary changes helped anything?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've had it too. I was medicated with carbimazole for a couple of years. Fell pregnant on our second cycle of actively trying and our little one is now 13 months old. I was able to come off the medication while I was pregnant - and all testing so far has shown that my thyroid is working normally so far, so I haven't had to go back on meds!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sycx View Post
    I've had it too. I was medicated with carbimazole for a couple of years. Fell pregnant on our second cycle of actively trying and our little one is now 13 months old. I was able to come off the medication while I was pregnant - and all testing so far has shown that my thyroid is working normally so far, so I haven't had to go back on meds!
    This sounds a lot like me. I was on carbimazole then changed to PTU while TTC. I was able to come off meds just before falling pregnant with dd1.

It came back when she was a year old, so I started medication again for a couple of months. I then stopped the PTU again after my thyroid returned to normal and have been off medication for 4 years.

When TTC dd1, I fell pregnant on the 2nd cycle. It took longer for my other two DD's but my thyroid levels were normal during that time.

Good luck with everything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't found changing my diet impacts my thyroid levels. In fact losing large amounts of weight had no impact on my levels before or after radioactive iodine treatment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had Graves' disease from the age of 15. I was also on carbimazole and beta blockers. The carbimazole finally brought my levels within the normal range after about 2 years, and then I got really sick and my levels went all put of whack and I stopped responding to treatment. Long story short, I eventually had a thyroidectomy and never looked back. I was 20 when I had my thyroid out and I had been sick for so long.. And after my body recovered from the surgery I had hardly any trouble getting my levels under control on thyroxine. When DH and I started TTC I thought for sure that we would have trouble - a huge part of why I wanted the thyroidectomy - but we fell naturally in our first cycle! I was 22. We now have a healthy 16 month old DS. I definitely don't miss my thyroid good luck with your us!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by clad22 View Post
    I haven't found changing my diet impacts my thyroid levels. In fact losing large amounts of weight had no impact on my levels before or after radioactive iodine treatment.
    Thank you. Hopefully I'll be able to lose weight for other health benefits then! Might as well make the most of the overactive thyroid...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amazonbaby View Post
    This sounds a lot like me. I was on carbimazole then changed to PTU while TTC. I was able to come off meds just before falling pregnant with dd1.

It came back when she was a year old, so I started medication again for a couple of months. I then stopped the PTU again after my thyroid returned to normal and have been off medication for 4 years.

When TTC dd1, I fell pregnant on the 2nd cycle. It took longer for my other two DD's but my thyroid levels were normal during that time.

Good luck with everything!
    Thank you! Gives me hope

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sycx View Post
    It's amazing how it can just come good again. I'm really hoping this happens to me too!