+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default 19 month old off her food

Hi all,

I have a 19 month old DD who recently has stopped eating foods she previously loved.

she has had a cold and cough for about a week, but is at the end of that now.

she won't eat the risotto she loves, the sausages she loves, the meat a and veg she loves.

she still eats pear and banana and soy yoghurt (she is dairy intolerant) and toast with nuttelex, but nothing else.

sh is aso allergic to wheat, eggs, peanuts and tree nuts, so I'm struggling to find things she will eat. When we try and feed her non-finger food, she turns her head away and cries and looks genuinely upset.

Ive tried peas, corn, cucumber, tomato, mushroom on her high chair tray, so she can pick at it as she wishes but just cries at the sight of it.

ive read before not to offer alternatives and it's their bad luck if they don't eat, but I think she's too young to really understand that. I'm also not about to send her to bed without eating anything at all as I know she will wake in the night as she's hungry, but that's not a risk I want to take.

i guess I'm after advice on other things I can try and give her (given the large food groups she can't eat).

Maybe even this is just a phase that will pass, or related to her getting her 2yr molars early, because she has been unwell, or is she actually at an age where she can now assert her independence and is saying no as she doesn't like the taste.

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd say she's just asserting her new found independence - quiet normal - just keep trying/offering - what about trying rice noodles , falafels, rice cakes with avocado , mini chicken wings, fish cakes, chicken snitzel crumbed in rice crumbs, mini meat balls, homemade hummus or guacamole with corn chips or veggie sticks as dippers?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I'd say she's just asserting her new found independence - quiet normal - just keep trying/offering - what about trying rice noodles , falafels, rice cakes with avocado , mini chicken wings, fish cakes, chicken snitzel crumbed in rice crumbs, mini meat balls, homemade hummus or guacamole with corn chips or veggie sticks as dippers?

Thank EM. Are carrot and cucumber sticks no longer a choking hazard?

unfortunately she doesn't like avocado or felafel or chicken. But rice noodles, hummus and veg stocks sound goof.

unfortunately my parents when they have her and I'm at work give her French fries and ice cream (soy) when she won't eat anything else! Gah!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For toddlers used to hard finger foods carrots are fine but if she's not a great biter/ chewer I would stick with thick cut cucumber sticks and capsicum sticks - my DS had cucumber sticks from 6 months and carrot sticks when he had his front biting teeth so about 14 months

Can she eat sesame seeds ? If yes then try tahini or hummus on rice cakes - keep trying her with avocado as it's just so good for you and a great snack on rice cakes or we use it on sandwiches instead of butter