+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,343
    Thanks
    5,785
    Thanked
    4,718
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Terry cloth nappies...

    So I'm considering using the old school cloth nappies at home during the day with this bub to save some money. I was originally going to get mcns but the other way seems better (cheaper, faster drying etc).

    So I'll need nappies, pilchers, liners, snaps/pins and a soaking bucket... anything else?

    Do I need a pilcher for every nappy or do they get used for a few nappies?

    Any hints or tips?

  2. #2
    rainbow road's Avatar
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    in a glass case of emotion
    Posts
    12,468
    Thanks
    1,200
    Thanked
    8,239
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think you can reuse the covers. I would avoid the plastic cheapies and get some good quality covers from baby beehinds or similar.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (03-10-2013),mrsd  (03-10-2013)

  4. #3
    rainbow road's Avatar
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    in a glass case of emotion
    Posts
    12,468
    Thanks
    1,200
    Thanked
    8,239
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    @GreenMama uses terry nappies I think.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

    GreenMama  (03-10-2013)

  6. #4
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    So I'm considering using the old school cloth nappies at home during the day with this bub to save some money. I was originally going to get mcns but the other way seems better (cheaper, faster drying etc).

    So I'll need nappies, pilchers, liners, snaps/pins and a soaking bucket... anything else?

    Do I need a pilcher for every nappy or do they get used for a few nappies?

    Any hints or tips?
    Firstly you are mad, I tried them with DS2 and it was a pita- I used them at daycare and my mother used them with my half brother so I am *very* good at using them..they are just not half as good as MCN.

    They are just not as absorbent as MCN, you have to fold them all (as opposed to just popping the insert into a pocket MCN) which is much eaiser and quicker.

    Nappies~ 24.
    Pilchers~ min 6.
    Liners~ disposable ones are best.
    Snaps~ 3 sets.
    Soaking bucket~ just dry pail them all in the same bucket (remove poo first!), tip them into the machine once a day and rinse them on a cold cycle, then wash with some nappisan or whatever you want to use.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (03-10-2013)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,343
    Thanks
    5,785
    Thanked
    4,718
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Firstly you are mad, I tried them with DS2 and it was a pita- I used them at daycare and my mother used them with my half brother so I am *very* good at using them..they are just not half as good as MCN.

    They are just not as absorbent as MCN, you have to fold them all (as opposed to just popping the insert into a pocket MCN) which is much eaiser and quicker.

    Nappies~ 24.
    Pilchers~ min 6.
    Liners~ disposable ones are best.
    Snaps~ 3 sets.
    Soaking bucket~ just dry pail them all in the same bucket (remove poo first!), tip them into the machine once a day and rinse them on a cold cycle, then wash with some nappisan or whatever you want to use.
    See, folding them wouldn't bother me, I'd prep them as I get them off the line.
    I just don't see mcns being as cost effective when I don't plan on using them full time.

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,097
    Thanks
    2,262
    Thanked
    2,900
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I started with 3 dozen nappies, dozen pitchers (you can get nice nappy covers from mcn companies), dozen pins and I wet pailed with napisan. Washed every second day by rinsing in machine then throwing other clothes in and washing all together. We used flamnelette and they were fine, you are not crazy.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (03-10-2013)

  11. #7
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    See, folding them wouldn't bother me, I'd prep them as I get them off the line.
    I just don't see mcns being as cost effective when I don't plan on using them full time.
    Fair enough

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,343
    Thanks
    5,785
    Thanked
    4,718
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't heard of the flannelette ones, I'll have a look

  13. #9
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I haven't heard of the flannelette ones, I'll have a look
    You can also get bamboo ones, and have a look for wool covers they are meant to be heaps better than the plastic ones

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (03-10-2013)

  15. #10
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week


 

Similar Threads

  1. Cloth vs disposable nappies
    By pink ribbon in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 31-01-2013, 20:43
  2. Cloth Nappies
    By weathjess in forum Cloth Nappy Discussion Area
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-01-2013, 07:35
  3. Soaking Terry towelling nappies
    By angelxx in forum Cloth Nappy Discussion Area
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-11-2012, 10:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Little Rugby NSWCatch, weave, chase, run, but most of all have FUN! Little Rugby runs a NSW network of fun, safe and non-contact footy ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
❤Joyous June/July TTC!❤Conception & Fertility General Chat
Very Very Early Signs!Conception & Fertility General Chat
Preparing for a NICU babyPregnancy & Birth General Chat
Help with BBT chartConception & Fertility General Chat
Anyone have kids with NF1?General Child Health Issues
IVF Babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017 #2pregnancy and babies through IVF
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›