+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Paediatric dentist through public system? Long wait?

This is sort of hypothetical, as I have booked privately already, but someone at work suggested public dental is easily accessible for children.

If your child needs non emergency dental work done (ie. cavities filled, but not ones that are causing pain) by a paediatric dentist under general anesthetic in hospital, is there a very long wait? Is it means tested?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends which state you are in. In Qld, if you have a health care card you are entitled to free dental care in public dental hospitals. I don't know about the GA though....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My mum has a health care card (we're in qld), and she is entitled to dental work but it's a long wait.

Apparently kids can go to the dental van and it's not a long wait for general dental (check ups, fillings), but I'm not sure about work under GA.

I was going to call the hospital to find out but I couldn't face the thought of being stuffed around, and endless waiting and not knowing who the dentist was, as I've got a lot on my plate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are currently on this journey ourselves.. But we are in Vic. Getting them into regular dental clinic is short ( if you say they are in pain) but apparently the waiting list is long for the hosp, we needed a referral from dental clinic, then we will have an appointment to see what's needed (good luck- our 2yr old will NOT open his mouth!) then we go on the waiting list... Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzyplus4 View Post
    We are currently on this journey ourselves.. But we are in Vic. Getting them into regular dental clinic is short ( if you say they are in pain) but apparently the waiting list is long for the hosp, we needed a referral from dental clinic, then we will have an appointment to see what's needed (good luck- our 2yr old will NOT open his mouth!) then we go on the waiting list... Good luck x
    I suspected it would be a bit of a wait. That must be tricky with a 2yo.

We have been taking my son to the dentist since he was 3, and he's had some cavity issues (combination of deep fissures, behavioural issues making tooth brushing hard, probably a bit too much sugar as he got older, who knows what else...), and had some small fillings, but it's gotten to the stage where he's too anxious to get fillings done.

So we are just biting the bullet and getting it done under GA, as there are two fillings needed in the molars, which they have until 10-11 years old, plus some other cavities and some fissure seals.

The private system is very slick. From the first consult to the procedure, it is only about 2 weeks, could have even been sooner. Expensive though. Our holiday fund is now the dental fund.

I am concerned about the GA, but I guess there's nothing else we can do as the work has to be done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hear ya! I wish we had a holiday fund... We were quoted around $5000 to go private, which is simply not an option at the moment- hence the public waiting list

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzyplus4 View Post
    I hear ya! I wish we had a holiday fund... We were quoted around $5000 to go private, which is simply not an option at the moment- hence the public waiting list
    Is that without PHI? I can only manage ours as we've got PHI. I think it'll be $2000 out of pocket, but without PHI it would be $2400 to dentist, $900 to anaethist and then whatever the hospital charge to them (have no idea as I just pay the $500 excess).

Hopefully you don't have to wait too long.