+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,279
    Thanks
    2,361
    Thanked
    2,023
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I love them for three reasons...

    1. Every baby should be celebrated.

    2. Every pregnancy the mother endures should be honoured.

    3. Life is dull, boring and just crappy all too often- we should find as many reasons as we can to celebrate the good things with the people we love.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

    Jakois  (26-09-2013),rainbow road  (26-09-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (26-09-2013),smallpotatoes  (26-09-2013)

  3. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,248
    Thanks
    6,367
    Thanked
    17,666
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think it's how it's organised. A get together to celebrate the upcoming birth where there is no expectation of gifts is fine. Demanding guests bring plates of food and pay for decorations, party supplies and the cake, or giving a registry lacks class and respect.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    cassieh  (26-09-2013)

  5. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,996
    Thanks
    3,723
    Thanked
    1,978
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My friends baby shower is next week and she had a gift registery.

    I think they are a great idea! No doubling / tripling of gifts and u know exactly what they need....plus u can still spend what u like or go halves with someone else

    I dont see what the big deal with registries is??

    Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

  6. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,248
    Thanks
    6,367
    Thanked
    17,666
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I see a shower as celebrating the baby, not getting exactly what gifts you want to complete the nursery. I believe it puts pressure on people to spend what they can't afford and can be seen as being gift grabby.

    But then I don't like the whole registry/wishing well set up at weddings either. I think it just comes off as ungrateful and high maintenance. JMO of course....

  7. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,381
    Thanks
    5,802
    Thanked
    4,741
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't mind registries or gift suggestions as long as they accommodate all budgets and are used only to help the guests for ideas. I also don't mind bringing a plate, it helps the mum to be out.

    What I don't like:
    Being invited when you have nothing to do with the person ie. being invited to baby showers where you only know then enough to say hello

    Being told how much you have to spend ie. gift voucher for atleast $50 or stipulating on each invite who is to buy what.

    Stipulating brand specific items like tops from ralph lauren, bonds onesies etc. in other words, don't buy the target branded onesies.

    All of the above has happened to me.

  8. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brisbane North
    Posts
    4,459
    Thanks
    1,581
    Thanked
    1,803
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had one friend who refused to do a baby shower because her reasoning was that ''she won't like the crap cheap presents people give me, and I won't use them''... wow. I'm sure nobody will spend only $5-10 on you but seriously, if you're expecting $250 bed sheets you will be sadly disappointed. I thought it was a petty attitude to have. I told her that people will give her things that will be useful and she will be grateful that she has them, but no she refused. weird.

  9. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,124
    Thanks
    207
    Thanked
    438
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Put it this way if i was given an invitation to a baby shower and had to buy of a gift registry i wouldnt be going. I had 2 baby showers, one for each of my kids. They were purely for celebration purposes, though we people asked me what i needed i told them (singlets, sheets, clothes etc). For my second i asked for frozen meals for the first few crazy weeks. I think if your inviting family and closed friends if for celebration purposes, if your invited the cleaners from your second cousins work, its gona be a bit about gift grabbing.

  10. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10,746
    Thanks
    3,429
    Thanked
    6,525
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    I had one friend who refused to do a baby shower because her reasoning was that ''she won't like the crap cheap presents people give me, and I won't use them''... wow. I'm sure nobody will spend only $5-10 on you but seriously, if you're expecting $250 bed sheets you will be sadly disappointed. I thought it was a petty attitude to have. I told her that people will give her things that will be useful and she will be grateful that she has them, but no she refused. weird.
    She could have put 'please, no gifts' on the invite? But no, clearly it was all about the gifts for her! Bad attitude.

  11. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,146
    Thanks
    251
    Thanked
    371
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I don't mind registries or gift suggestions as long as they accommodate all budgets and are used only to help the guests for ideas. I also don't mind bringing a plate, it helps the mum to be out.

    What I don't like:
    Being invited when you have nothing to do with the person ie. being invited to baby showers where you only know then enough to say hello

    Being told how much you have to spend ie. gift voucher for atleast $50 or stipulating on each invite who is to buy what.

    Stipulating brand specific items like tops from ralph lauren, bonds onesies etc. in other words, don't buy the target branded onesies.

    All of the above has happened to me.
    Wow. That is terrible. I don't know how people don't find that embarrassing?

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to cassieh For This Useful Post:

    Paris08  (26-09-2013)

  13. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,381
    Thanks
    5,802
    Thanked
    4,741
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    Wow. That is terrible. I don't know how people don't find that embarrassing?
    Some people just don't care.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 21-02-2013, 18:12
  2. Baby shower gift ideas
    By march2013 in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-12-2012, 17:07
  3. Baby Shower Book Gift
    By London in forum General Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 22-10-2012, 00:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Shapland Swim SchoolsSemi private learn to swim classes for a maximum of 3 children in specialized heated teaching pools. Our swim schools ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›