+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New to TTC and LOADS of questions :D

Hi all

I've been lurking for a while, but have some specifics that I can't seem to find an exact answer to on here, so am posting a load of questions if anyone can help out (sorry if this isn't in the right place or should have been in an existing thread - point me in the right direction and I'll get it right next time, soz!)

Firstly - if you get EWCM, and regular-ish (ie between 24-30 days each month, but varying between those sort of lengths) cycles, does this mean you are defo Ovulating? I've read that if you don't have EWCM you might not be ovulating, but not been able to find out that if you do have it you are (if that makes any sense at all? lol)

Following on from that - what's 'regular' when it comes to cycles? Exactly the same length each time or a couple of days swing either way each time, but similar symptoms/days AF/and so on each time? (I sound like such an idiot lol, its the details that matter to me though )

Also - If you have EWCM, and do a OPK, and get a positive, are you(as certain as these things are before blood tests and stuff) defo ovulating - ie will an OPK give a reading for you Oing if you aren't? (With the EWCM/cervical positing/(maybe bbt as well if being ultra thorough) being another sign to add it all up as it were).

Next - if you just DTD ever other day (or every day) isn't that going to be a good thing for getting UTD? I've read about conserving the swimmers energy a little so to do it every other day, rather than every day, but if you are dtd every other day all cycle long then aren't you going catch any egg that does decide to show its head? Or is this a very bad idea in TTC terms? (or is it just that people generally don't have the energy/time to DTD every other day all cycle long?)

Sorry if any of these are very basic indeed - officially we're not ttc, as hubby doesn't want us to get under any pressure or anything, but a) I've been waiting a bloooooooming long enough time to get to this point (loong story lol) and b) I'm the sort of person who just wants/needs to know everything about everything when doing anything lol. Just too darn nosey I guess

That's it for now - there were others I'm sure, but have vanished when I finally get a minute to sit down and type it all out (grrr, typical lol)

Many many thanks if anyone can answer anything

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Welcome , to put your mind at ease, yes it certainly sounds like you are ovulating and your cycles do sound fairly regular. Sperm that gets released every 48hrs appears to be generally of better quality than more or less often bedding. So every second day bedding is said to be ideal but obviously people get pregnant bedding a lot more or less than this. Happy TTC journey x

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

BoxCat (23-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The best way to know if you are ovulating is to start tracking your temperature using a basal thermometer. You will find lots of information here and you could also check out the fertility friend website. EWCM and positive OPK would be a very positive sign but are not a 100% guarantee that ovulation occurred. OPK's predict ovulation based on a surge in LH but are just a predictor. Temping can show you that ovulation has occurred because your temp increases and stays higher if you O, until just before your next AF.

The Fertility friend website has a great tutorial about cycles. I learnt lots from that.

As for DTD every other day, I think this is particularly for people that may have sperm issues such as a low count. It's probably fine for others though too, as sperm can live inside you for up to 5 days or so.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsErinR For This Useful Post:

BoxCat (23-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls for the help....I'm not going to stress too much yet, so temping might make me go a bit obsessive knowing me lol but just checking my cm and stuff I can do without putting too much effort in for now is probably for the best....very nice to know for future though if it takes a little time....what with us both getting that bit older (and me being admittedly a bit on the chubby side ) it's just for piece of mind if it doesn't happen sooner rather than later

Thanks once again and for everyone