+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Importing sperm from OS into Victoria?

Hi there,
    Just wondering if anyone out there has used imported sperm (from the US for example) to either conceive at home or via IUI at a clinic? Looking online at the VARTA website, it does seem possible to import sperm from OS into Victoria, as long as certain conditions are met, but I was wondering whether anyone had actually had success in doing so?
    My partner and I are thinking of trying to conceive in this way and wondered what experiences other had had?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Answering my own question.....
    As long as the donor meets Vic Legislation requirements (including ID release, counselling requirements and having not been paid in a commercial nature) importation of donor sperm from OS into a registered Vic clinic is legal and has been done! I had a lovely chat with a lady from VARTA (regulatory body) who was very helpful. Some OS cryobanks are better than others for this and each application is taken on a case by case basis. The Vic clinic also needs to accept the OS sperm- it is legally permitted, but the clinic themselves may have commercial reasons for not accepting OS sperm. So far I have found one clinic who I *think* will accept imported sperm which has been approved by VARTA. Some clinic have said a flat out "no" and some have implied it is not possible, but have not said a straight out "no".
    Watch this space....