Closed Thread
Page 85 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 850 of 984
  1. #841
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    http://riserefugee.org/post/71593601...an-immigration

    Here's one. Is testimony from the people on manus more believable than a dept rep here? Well, yes. Who is there, experiencing and seeing it? You will choose to believe what you like F, and I have no doubt it will be the department, despite mounting evidence that detained asylum seekers are not being looked after adequately and their health and safety is being jeopardised.
    It seems like a 4 year old story has had a case of 'Chinese whispers'.
    In your link, the only evidence provided for such activity is a 2010 ChilOut report where it said they were given 6 at a time.
    The parliamentary submission quoted the same 2010 report (ie. 6 at a time).
    The only other reference is refugee advocate Victoria Martin-Iverson, who said: "Sanitary pads are doled out one at a time". What evidence did she have here?

    It seems pretty unsubstantiated to me.

    ETA: Why doesn't the link to Bowen's response work? I would like to read what he had to say.
    Last edited by Father; 22-03-2014 at 10:21.

  2. #842
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Some more info from the SMH:

    But the claims have been flatly rejected by Mr Morrison's office, and doused by Chilout spokeswoman Sophie Peer.

    Ms Peer said her organisation had several years ago investigated claims that women had been forced to ask for sanitary products one at a time, but ''we don't have recent evidence that this is happening, that people have to ask for them one by one''.
    Instead, she said, women were now given packets of sanitary products at a time. Despite the improvements, she said forcing women to ask male guards for pads and tampons could be humiliating and said it was a system that could easily be improved.

    Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...#ixzz2weA7VTso

    So even ChilOut says that it is not the case.

    This is the policy:

    But a spokeswoman in Mr Morrison's Parliament House office said the information was ''not in the slightest'' true.

    ''We don't know where this has come from, but it's nonsense,'' the spokeswoman said.
    ''The policy hasn't changed since the previous government. It's just completely false and misleading'', the spokeswoman said.
    She said women were provided with sanitary products on their arrival in detention, and after that were given sanitary products from the welfare office, ''on request, on demand, no limit''. She could not say how many items women were given on arrival.

    It seems that you only read what you want to read. If you have any more evidence, other than a one liner from an advocate, I would be interested to hear.

  3. #843
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This will be interesting. It would not surprise me at all if this were the case.

    MOST of the 1300 asylum-seekers on Manus Island appear likely to have their refugee claims rejected as Tony Abbott backs a warning from Papua New Guinea that a “good majority” of the detainees are economic migrants
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226862040264

  4. #844
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,805
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Some more info from the SMH:


    Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...#ixzz2weA7VTso

    So even ChilOut says that it is not the case.

    This is the policy:


    It seems that you only read what you want to read. If you have any more evidence, other than a one liner from an advocate, I would be interested to hear.

    I know what the policy is and that Morrison's office denies the allegations. I did say that. Refugee advocacy groups have widely reported the situation though and their sources are actually there, experiencing this. So yes, I believe it has been happening- it seems a very strange thing to make up- and it does not surprise me that the minister's office denies the claims. I could post you links from the ASRC or other groups but it would seem refugee advocates who speak to and deal with refugees are not acceptable sources of information about what is going on in asylum seeker detention centres to you, so I'm not going to bother.

  5. #845
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I know what the policy is and that Morrison's office denies the allegations. I did say that. Refugee advocacy groups have widely reported the situation though and their sources are actually there, experiencing this. So yes, I believe it has been happening- it seems a very strange thing to make up- and it does not surprise me that the minister's office denies the claims. I could post you links from the ASRC or other groups but it would seem refugee advocates who speak to and deal with refugees are not acceptable sources of information about what is going on in asylum seeker detention centres to you, so I'm not going to bother.
    I would be legitimately interested in what other sources you have that give you such confidence in the claims. I looked for some, but could not find any other than the GreenLeft article. If it's 'widely reported', then it shouldn't be too hard to find.

  6. #846
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,805
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    I would be legitimately interested in what other sources you have that give you such confidence in the claims. I looked for some, but could not find any other than the GreenLeft article. If it's 'widely reported', then it shouldn't be too hard to find.
    http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...107-30erc.html
    "Kon Karapanagiotidis of the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre said his organisation had had reports of this nature for some time"
    If you follow ASRC or Kon
    Karapanagiotidis on facebook or twitter he has mentioned this more than once.

  7. #847
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...107-30erc.html
    "Kon Karapanagiotidis of the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre said his organisation had had reports of this nature for some time"
    If you follow ASRC or Kon
    Karapanagiotidis on facebook or twitter he has mentioned this more than once.
    Nope. I do not follow either of them. Mainly because I don't have a facebook or twitter account.
    So Kon, or ASRC, has had 'reports of this nature before', but has he published or have records of such?
    Do you think that ChilOut is wrong when they say that they had investigated those claims and ''we don't have recent evidence that this is happening, that people have to ask for them one by one". Are they part of a government cover-up or something?
    It sounds to me that your 'widely reported' comment is based on a twitter feed from Kon and a one-liner from Victoria. Do you have anything at all substantive?
    Maybe you can at least provide Kon's twitter feeds that may hold clues as to where he was getting his information from?

  8. #848
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,805
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Nope. I do not follow either of them. Mainly because I don't have a facebook or twitter account.
    So Kon, or ASRC, has had 'reports of this nature before', but has he published or have records of such?
    Do you think that ChilOut is wrong when they say that they had investigated those claims and ''we don't have recent evidence that this is happening, that people have to ask for them one by one". Are they part of a government cover-up or something?
    It sounds to me that your 'widely reported' comment is based on a twitter feed from Kon and a one-liner from Victoria. Do you have anything at all substantive?
    Maybe you can at least provide Kon's twitter feeds that may hold clues as to where he was getting his information from?
    Why can't you look up his twitter feed yourself?? Or the ASRC fb page or website? It's not my "widely reported" comment- it HAS been widely reported. I've seen it reported on the huffpost, on UK news sites, various australian news sites... I'm pretty sure if I told you I *was* an asylum seeker and this happened to me, you'd tell me I was wrong!

  9. #849
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,043
    Thanks
    1,422
    Thanked
    7,641
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    http://m.smh.com.au/federal-politics...322-35a6e.html

    If these people are being treated properly, there should be nothing to hide.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (23-03-2014)

  11. #850
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Why can't you look up his twitter feed yourself?? Or the ASRC fb page or website? It's not my "widely reported" comment- it HAS been widely reported. I've seen it reported on the huffpost, on UK news sites, various australian news sites... I'm pretty sure if I told you I *was* an asylum seeker and this happened to me, you'd tell me I was wrong!
    As I said before. I have searched widely, and could not find anything more than Victoria's one-liner and ChilOut's "6 at a time" comment from over 3 years ago. People reporting on Victoria's one-liner does not make it more true.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Be honest ,have you/do you.....
    By MonsterMoosMum in forum General Chat
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 07:42
  2. Be honest, have you?
    By MonsterMoosMum in forum General Chat
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 17-08-2013, 10:30
  3. Be honest! How much did you pay for your dog?
    By Janesmum123 in forum Pets
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 30-11-2012, 07:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Pea Pods Reusable NappiesPea Pods are the smart choice when it comes to choosing what's best for you, your baby and the environment. Affordable ...
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›