+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Climate change is supposed to be about science, not politics. The fact that you have posted the above comment shows that you agree. It has become more of a ideologically based religion.

If you are concerned about the poor and starving people, and the hospitals, how would you feel about re-directing all of the 'climate change' money directly to those causes? I think that is a great idea.
    Climate change should be about science, unfortunately the current priminister didn't agree. We also know that the government has to regulate and and fund things that help our country. Including ensuring we care for the environment and minimise the environmental effects of climate change. Laws do have to be made etc I hope you understand that.

If you are truly for the people and caring for the poor, why vote conservative?
    Also as a country we can afford to help people who are worse off and do something about climate change, they are not mutually exclusive, one does not cancel out the other. They are both extremely important.

Moreover the catastrophic effects in the future will be detrimental to all living creatures on the planet, I think that's just as important as poverty and hospitals.

Agian I ask if you are so concerned about those things why do you present as clearly a right winged conservative? People who truly care about others and really ensuring that people have better access to medical care, education and so on usually do not vote for the liberal party IMO.

So instead of dodging the questions I ask and re asking me the same things, maybe you could reflect on why it is you are truly against a society that is about equity and caring for the environment.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-10-2013),BigRedV  (09-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Climate change is about science and politics. The science to figure out what is happening and what we need to do about it and politics to help implement policies across the world.
    Exactly, I can't believe any one would find that hard to comprehend.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-10-2013),Kirst33  (09-10-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I'm not sure what 'catastrophic events' you are referring. Post #147 contains the IPCC's views on extreme weather events.
    What science indicates that temperature increases are exponential? First I have heard of that.
    End of the great barrier reef (unless the mining doesn't kill it first).
    Sea levels rising to cover some of the smaller pacific island countries.

I would classify these as catastrophic.

That's just off the top of my head, I'd wager my right arm that the list is considerably longer though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (10-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Would just like to point out that this current IPCC report is only part one of three parts, discussing the assessment of the physical science of climate change, it won't be until the second part is released that there will be more detail about the assessment of the full impact.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Father - What are these "trillions of dollars" governments are supposedly spending to address climate change?

"...dreaming of a belly full of life"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thoughts from a lead author for the IPCC.

With respect to climate, we have had 17 years without warming; all models show greater tropical warming than has been observed since 1978; and arctic sea ice is suddenly showing surprising growth. And yet, as the discrepancies between models and observations increase, the IPCC insists that its confidence in the model predictions is greater than ever.

Referring to the 17 year ‘pause,’ the IPCC allows for two possibilities: that the sensitivity of the climate to increasing greenhouse gases is less than models project and that the heat added by increasing CO2 is ‘hiding’ in the deep ocean. Both possibilities contradict alarming claims.
    With low sensitivity, economic analyses suggest that warming under 2C would likely be beneficial to the earth. Heat ‘hiding’ in the deep ocean would mean that current IPCC models fail to describe heat exchange between surface waters and the deep ocean. Such exchanges are essential features of natural climate variability, and all IPCC claims of attribution of warming to mans activities depend on the assumption that the models accurately portray this natural variability.
    More at http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/10/0...nt/#more-95335

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1381356083.523452.jpg

Hottest October day on record predicted

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Attachment 43913

Using which station? Sydney airport recorded 39.1 on 13 Oct 2004.

I also don't understand what this has to do with climate change. You do understand the difference between weather and climate right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Attachment 43913

From the ABC app regarding brushfire threat:

'The weather bureau is forecasting the mercury will reach 39 degrees Celsius in Sydney which would break the previous October record of 38.2C set in 2008.'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I am aware of the difference.

You're the one always banging on about extremes (or lack of). I'd say that 39 degrees (17 above average) in Sydney in October is quite extreme, don't you think?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226735413589
    Using which station? Sydney airport recorded 39.1 on 13 Oct 2004.

I also don't understand what this has to do with climate change. You do understand the difference between weather and climate right?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (10-10-2013),beebs  (10-10-2013)