+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 460
  1. #401
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    390
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked
    384
    Reviews
    0
    And as I said, it is free if you never earn over $50,000. You never have to pay it back.

    The post of mine that you quoted has the answer to your question "why not?".

    Regarding the price of text books, if that is the issue then you should be arguing for subsidies for text books or something like that, not for a change to the way university fees are paid.
    Last edited by Meg2; 25-09-2013 at 15:13.

  2. #402
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    RIght wing conservatives are pet peeve of mine.

    As to the whole notion of taking pressure off the public system by sending your kids private. All I say to that is, if the government stopped funding private and religious schools at all, imagine how much more money they would have to put into public schools.


    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    I was saying that it is free if you never earn over the repayment threshold (over $50,000), not that it is free for everyone.

    And I have to disagree that uni is incredibly difficult to pass without buying all the text books. I've done two undergraduate degrees, both times supporting myself. I often used the library text books instead of buying my own - or bought second hand, there is generally little difference between different editions of text books. It wasn't very difficult at all.

    Anyway, I wasn't arguing about the cost of uni, I was disagreeing with the notion that we should introduce absolutely free university education. Our system is extremely generous and it is a pet peeve of mine when people complain about it.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    BigRedV  (25-09-2013),ChickyBee  (25-09-2013)

  4. #403
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    390
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked
    384
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    RIght wing conservatives are pet peeve of mine.

    As to the whole notion of taking pressure off the public system by sending your kids private. All I say to that is, if the government stopped funding private and religious schools at all, imagine how much more money they would have to put into public schools.
    Umm, why are you quoting me here? Are you implying that I'm a right wing conservative...? Because I think our deferred fee payment system is good? Goodness, perhaps you should get out more and meet some real conservatives.

  5. #404
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Omigod, but university fees have changed. In the scheme of things Hecs is relatively new. It was really good before and they changed it. You say you think it is really good now. But why. Where you worse off the way it was before?

    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    And as I said, it is free if you never earn over $50,000. You never have to pay it back.

    The post of mine that you quoted has the answer to your question "why not?".

    Regarding the price of text books, if that is the issue then you should be arguing for subsidies for text books or something like that, not for a change to the way university fees are paid.

  6. #405
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    390
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked
    384
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Omigod, but university fees have changed. In the scheme of things Hecs is relatively new. It was really good before and they changed it. You say you think it is really good now. But why. Where you worse off the way it was before?
    OK, I'll spell it out.
    The government currently provides funds to universities.
    The university system also gets money from student fees.
    Therefore universities have more money than if they were only getting money from the government.
    Our current system only charges students fees when they can afford to pay them so as not to restrict people from studying based on ability to pay fees.
    There is no good reason to get rid of these fees.

    Universities at the moment are struggling as it is. They are under pressure to accept more full fee paying students just to make ends meet, thus limiting places for HECS subsidised students.

    Why would you want to rob them of an income that is socially equitable?

  7. #406
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,245
    Thanks
    1,772
    Thanked
    2,018
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    And as I said, it is free if you never earn over $50,000. You never have to pay it back.

    The post of mine that you quoted has the answer to your question "why not?".

    Regarding the price of text books, if that is the issue then you should be arguing for subsidies for text books or something like that, not for a change to the way university fees are paid.
    But it's not free. You still acquire a debt regardless of whether you pay it back or not.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  8. #407
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    390
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked
    384
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    But it's not free. You still acquire a debt regardless of whether you pay it back or not.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Really? That is your argument? Ok, I'll amend my statement - it is free in every practicable way if you don't earn over $50,000. Better?

  9. #408
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    480
    Thanks
    308
    Thanked
    578
    Reviews
    0
    You know that debt affects future loans etc yeah?

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsBid For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (25-09-2013)

  11. #409
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    390
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked
    384
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBid View Post
    You know that debt affects future loans etc yeah?

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Not in my experience.

  12. #410
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    480
    Thanks
    308
    Thanked
    578
    Reviews
    0
    Oh right well that's that then

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app


 

Similar Threads

  1. Tony Ferguson & IVF?
    By purplepumpkins in forum IVF
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-05-2013, 00:17
  2. tony abbott's massage to stay at home mums??
    By Jonesy1 in forum Stay At Home Mums (SAHMs) Chat
    Replies: 286
    Last Post: 21-03-2013, 21:35
  3. Tony Ferguson and fertility
    By meesha87 in forum Weightloss & Fitness Challenges
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-10-2012, 22:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
CovitolCovitol Cream provides a thick, smooth barrier for long lasting protection and helps to relieve many skin irritations ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Help! Clexane and pregnantpregnancy and babies through IVF
How many Presents for Christmas?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
IVF babies due March/April/May 2017#2pregnancy and babies through IVF
Delightful DecemberConception & Fertility General Chat
Is this a faint positive result or just a indent line?Pregnancy Tests & Help / Support with Results
How normal is gas at this age?Newborns (0 - 2 months)
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›