+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    Someone else brought up about how some races are owed ie aboriginals for past indiscretions. Something that no one can change but people are aware and making sure it doesn't happen again
    It's not about paying debts. It's about making sure everyone has the same opportunities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not just talking about aboriginals. What about people who migrated recently what debt needs to be repaid there?
    I get positive discrimination but to me giving them opportunities isn't any kind of discrimination it's equal opportunity
    Just briefly, minorities don't just face barriers when applying for the top jobs, they often face barriers all along the way.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    An aboriginal born in remote areas or in Sydney still have much higher infant mortality rate, lower education levels, lower employment rate and opportunities, higher incarceration rates. Lower life expectancy.
    I see where you are coming from. Many (not all) Aboriginals living in urban areas still may not be in the same socio economic class as other Australians. Disadvantage they experience is not necessarily due to race due to being born into lower-middle income families.... A problem faced
    By many Australians not just Aboriginals. However they have similar opportunities. I have lived with Aboriginals in both types of environments and hands down Aboriginals in remote communities face a much more dire situation and IMO should get more financial assistance than their urban counterparts... Who, if wanting to climb out of the poverty trap could make do with social welfare support available to all Australians.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I see where you are coming from. Many (not all) Aboriginals living in urban areas still may not be in the same socio economic class as other Australians. Disadvantage they experience is not necessarily due to race due to being born into lower-middle income families.... A problem faced
    By many Australians not just Aboriginals. However they have similar opportunities. I have lived with Aboriginals in both types of environments and hands down Aboriginals in remote communities face a much more dire situation and IMO should get more financial assistance than their urban counterparts... Who, if wanting to climb out of the poverty trap could make do with social welfare support available to all Australians.
    I have worked in a school in a remote aboriginal community where they lived on a mission. I currently work in a school in western sydney that has 25% aboriginal population. The housing situation in the mission was pretty dire, but all other areas are the same no matter where they live. Aboriginal people are at a disadvantage wherever they live. Any other Australian living in rural and remote areas are more disadvantaged living there than other Australians.

If you are aboriginal, it doesn't matter where you live, you are more likely to die younger, be incarcerated, not have a job or complete school. And yes, it is because of race.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Not in my area. Can someone post which graduate positions pay differently according to gender?.
    This article provides a good summary:

http://m.smh.com.au/national/tertiar...103-2c78q.html

ABS stats if you're wanting to look more deeply:
    http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....2320Jan%202013

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),shelle65  (17-09-2013),soccer mum  (25-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    http://www.brw.com.au/p/leadership/j...Mq46ssC52YSxHI

From BRW - 'This is what happens when you ignore the issue of gender equity and stick to the myth that quality always rises to the top. What rises to the top is a frothy layer of well-connected men, who feel comfortable promoting each other to positions of power and influence.'

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),BH-KatiesMum  (17-09-2013),bigbum  (17-09-2013),Ellewood  (17-09-2013),Stiflers Mom  (17-09-2013),ZAK  (24-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am not surprised and yes it does concern me. And to say maybe the women were less qualified... I think it more says something about how the Liberal party selects candidates?

It always surprises me when some women get so het up when other women talk about gender issues, gender issues are real, there is a glass ceiling, women are still disadvantaged in a lot of ways in Australian society.

I work in a very female dominated industry, and yet in my place of employment out of 5 managerial positions, 4 of them were men (there were no other men working in non managerial positions), there comes a time when you have to really look at structural issues and not just assume that women are less driven, or qualified, or have baby brain.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-09-2013),BH-KatiesMum  (17-09-2013),Ellewood  (17-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013),Stiflers Mom  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Debt will have been repaid when Aboriginal people don't have the highest mortality rate in the western world. We aren't even close to equality. The fact that you think we should just all move on and get over it, shows just how little you know about the situation. Maybe on your next holiday, you should go up to an NT community and see just how dire the situation is yourself.

So discrimination is ok.... As long as it benefits minority.. And y is it what happened in the past? When has the debt been repaid so everyone can be treated the same? See what I mean where is the line?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

bigbum  (17-09-2013),Ellewood  (17-09-2013),Kirst33  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KatiesMum View Post
    Well I am a Liberal voter (though I dont like Tony Abbott) ... but I am certainly concerned about the number of women in senior roles within his government.

If he seriously does not have the talent available within the pool of elected Liberal party members to appoint women in senior roles - that says a lot about the selection of candidates.

Parliament is supposed to be representative of the people.

Are we as a country seriously saying to the world that there isnt enough talented and capable women here to appoint a reasonably representative cabinet?
    Thank you Julie. You summed up exactly how I feel.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (17-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Are you serious? I grew up not far from Everly street in Redfern, I assure you, the people in inner city areas are severely disadvantaged as well. Reading all these posts, where people really seem to have no idea about what is going on in their own backyard, is really depressing.

Re positive discrimination. At my work, they have a quota they like to reach, they also have special cadet ships for indigenous Australian's. But they are still really hard to get into. You don't just rock up off the street and proclaim your Indigenous heritage and automatically get a job.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I agree. But the degree to which an aboriginal is disadvantaged depends on their location and individual circumstance. Aboriginals living in the outback and remote communities are severely disadvantaged. Aboriginals living in certain metropolitan areas/regional NSW etc are much more on par with their non Aboriginal counterparts in terms of opportunity.

The problem with positive discrimination is that it is afforded to everyone in the minority group regardless of their circumstance. This is what some people probably find hard to swallow.
    - I'm not saying I'm not for Positive discrimination. I think it's absolutely necessary in many cases.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (17-09-2013),Kirst33  (17-09-2013),shelle65  (17-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-09-2013)