+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low Lying Placenta

Hi Everyone,

When I had my 19th week ultrasound they found that I had a low lying placenta. The midwife and doctor assured me that it would move up once I reached the 30 week mark so I didn't really worry about it until I read and reasearched what it was exactly and now I'm a little concerned.

My question is has anyone had a low lying placenta that did not move up and what happened at the birth?
    I'm also interested to know if I can have a 30 weeks ultrasound as a 3D to check if everything is ok including the baby?

I'm now 25 weeks....

Thanks heaps!

Regards
    Eslay

1st BUB due 27th January 2006!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    HI!
    I too have a low lying placenta. I also had it with ds too. It moved up with ds so i had a completely natural birth (apart from drugs ) I'm due for my scan next week to see what's happening this time around. I'm not worried at all.
    If it is still lying low they will do a c section, as you wont be able to deliver bub otherwise. Don't worry they will find out for sure with plenty of time to spare.
    I'm secretly hoping that i get to have a c section (shh) as i had a terrible birth last time!
    Any way good luck

Becky

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too had a low lying placenta with dd, they did another scan at about 24 weeks to check it, luckily it had moved up. they should definately do another scan in your 30 something weeks to check it. As was mentioned above, if it is still low you will have to have a c section. I can't believe they haven't explained all this for you. The lady I had do the ultrasound was a real cow saying that it could kill me and my baby if I tried to deliver naturally and it hadn't moved, I left there in tears and my midwife couldn't believe it, as she said some people just should not work with the public.

Good luck and talk to your midwife or OB about it so they can ease your concerns, I think it is only quite a small percentage that the placenta doesn't move up.

Tracey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have part of the placenta thats lowish - the did U/S's at 30 and 34 weeks to check on it - Its not too near though which is good though I'm looking at a caesar currently anyway..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine was low lying and I was told 98% chamce it'd move in time.

IT DIDN'T!

Had to have a c/s

Funkychicken is offline I'm supposed to have a plan? Can't I just be proactive with pep?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I too was told at my 20 wk scan that the placenta is low lying-about 2.5cms from the neck of my cervix. I'm 31 wks now and I am booked for a scan at 33wks to check that it has moved up. I was told it was a 5% chance it wouldn't move up. I'm terrified of having a c-section and want my final baby to be a natural birth as were my others. Just the thought of a c-sec has me feeling robbed. Anyway my midwife told me at 30 wks she is sure it has moved up but I still don't understand how she could tell this from palpating my tummy. Has anyone else been told it has moved based on feeling the tummy alone?
    Sal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah me! But the U/S said it hadn't!

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    From memory, there are four grades of placenta previa, and only the two most severe forms mean you WILL need a c/s, but anyway, as mine did both times, the uterus usually does stretch up, and placenta is carried away from the cervix anyway.
    Chances are things will be fine for you.