+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default how do i disipline my 4 yr old?

good morning everyone!

i need some advice, i have 2 DDs, 17 mths and 3yrs, and a 4.5yr ds.

i am so sick of my ds not listening to me, he keeps taking things he isnt allowed, turning on the microwave on..etc.
    its like he is trying to get my attention. poor boy. his sisters are very demanding, i wish i had more time with him..
    he has also started to not want to go to kindy.
    timeout doesnt work..
    should i start smacking him?

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 4 yr old ds can be like that, too. I just recently got the '123 magic' book and we are starting that. It is a timeout 'punishment' but I honestly think it'll work.

I wouldn't smack. I did and feel terrible about it. Personally (even though I did it!) I don't think it is the most appropriate way to deal with them.

If your using timeout stick with it and be consistent. That's the main thing.

It's tough, I know, but you'll get there.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know how hard it is, I too have a 4 year old boy and 19m old boy. Apparently 1,2,3 Magic works really well (I haven't used it yet). I have also found some useful information on the Natural parenting website, that is more about positive parenting. While smacking might work in the short term (yes, I have resorted to this sometimes ), it is useless in the long term.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with 123 magic, if your consistent with it, it works wonders. While we still have bad days with my 4 yo, mainly because I am sometimes lazy with enforcing consequences, on the whole things have improved.

Have you had his hearing checked? My 4yo ds's behaviour is very difficult and I recently found out he has glue ear, enlarged adenoids and can hear about half as well as he should be. Apparently this contributes a lot to his behaviour. He is getting surgery next week so fingers crossed things improve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks,
    i find it hard to stick with what i say because im always so busy either cleaning or dealing with the girls, my 2.5 dd doesnt make things easier, she laughs at him says ha ha and really rubs it in!
    his hearing is great.. when my youngest walks im hoping it will get easier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Rather than looking at punishment is there some way you can spend more one on one time with him? You say you think it's attention seeking so maybe look at him going to bed a little later if he's been good and you spend that time reading or playing with him. Or is there someone who can watch the girls for a little while once a week so you can do something special?

Thanks
    Reviews
    he passes out in my bed with me usually, lately so has ruby..she has just grown out of day naps so she is out of routine..
    i dont have anyone that would take the girls

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    123 magic is great. Try and do a course rather then just reading the book.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app