+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 339
  1. #171
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,602
    Thanks
    441
    Thanked
    3,371
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ah, cool. Lol. Am a bit too tired to get into too in depth of such a discussion.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  2. #172
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    795
    Thanks
    3,030
    Thanked
    695
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    Ah, cool. Lol. Am a bit too tired to get into too in depth of such a discussion.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Everyone else can nitpick. Why can't I?! You meanie.

    I'll just sit in a corner and sulk.


  3. The Following User Says Thank You to snowqu33n For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (04-09-2013)

  4. #173
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,602
    Thanks
    441
    Thanked
    3,371
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lol. Want a cookie?? I have some fresh ones.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (04-09-2013),snowqu33n  (04-09-2013)

  6. #174
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    396
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked
    384
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadHatter View Post
    Going back to a comment someone made earlier about some gay people being against gay marriage reminded me of this article from the BBC a couple of months ago.
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22758434
    Thanks for linking that article, I found it really interesting. It gave some legitimate reasons that have nothing to do with homophobia why people might not support gay marriage. This paragraph is somewhat in line with my thinking on the matter (my bold):

    "But while favourable rulings will spark celebrations among pro-marriage supporters across the US, some gay men and women will instead see it as a victory for a patriarchal institution that bears no historical relevance to them.
    Some lesbians are opposed to marriage on feminist grounds, says Claudia Card, a professor of philosophy at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, because they see it as an institution that serves the interests of men more than women. It is also, in her view "heteronormative", embodying the view that heterosexuality is the preferred and normal sexuality."

  7. #175
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    I have studied this in depth
    So have I.

    It's fairly complex, but there is a lot of evidence to suggest that they were talking about male prostitutes and rape in the bible.
    There is a possibility (although I think it is remote) that some of the references in the New Testament are referring to temple prostitution, but I am referring to the Old Testament, in particular Leviticus 20:13 and Leviticus 18:22. Looking at the context, these are laws about who you cannot have sex with. Temple prostitution (male or female) was not permitted in Judaism, so it makes no sense that if these were references to temple prostitutes that the writer would only include men. Also, indulging in the practices of other religions at the time is covered by other parts of the Torah.

    And these references are certainly not about rape - otherwise you are putting the victim to death. That contradicts other parts of the Torah (and is obviously morally repugnant).

  8. #176
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,064
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    Thanks for linking that article, I found it really interesting. It gave some legitimate reasons that have nothing to do with homophobia why people might not support gay marriage. This paragraph is somewhat in line with my thinking on the matter (my bold):

    "But while favourable rulings will spark celebrations among pro-marriage supporters across the US, some gay men and women will instead see it as a victory for a patriarchal institution that bears no historical relevance to them.
    Some lesbians are opposed to marriage on feminist grounds, says Claudia Card, a professor of philosophy at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, because they see it as an institution that serves the interests of men more than women. It is also, in her view "heteronormative", embodying the view that heterosexuality is the preferred and normal sexuality."
    When I read that particular article I saw plenty of opposition to marriage equality which I consider homophobic, and Corbin sums my feelings up perfectly in the last few paragraphs.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (05-09-2013)

  10. #177
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,439
    Thanks
    732
    Thanked
    452
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yesterday I received an equally disgusting and upsetting piece of election junk mail regarding gay marriage. I was upset, angry, disgusted and absolutely speechless.

    I live in a safe labour seat in SA. I personally know the liberal candidate and don't believe it came from her. Unfortunately DS chewed on the bit where it had the senders details.

    I'm not at home but will if anyone is interested i could post a pic of it when I get home. Although, on second thoughts I don't really want to pass on something that is essentially disgusting.

  11. #178
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    396
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked
    384
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    When I read that particular article I saw plenty of opposition to marriage equality which I consider homophobic, and Corbin sums my feelings up perfectly in the last few paragraphs.
    Do you also acknowledge that in the article there were reasons for being against gay marriage that were not homophobic (and were perhaps even well thought out and reasonable)?

  12. #179
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,439
    Thanks
    732
    Thanked
    452
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It also used a picture of a small child.

  13. #180
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,064
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    Do you also acknowledge that in the article there were reasons for being against gay marriage that were not homophobic (and were perhaps even well thought out and reasonable)?
    I don't agree they were reasonable. I think they were discriminatory but some not homophobic as such.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (05-09-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Election 2013 - go!
    By NancyBlackett in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 19:42
  2. Need advise and new tactics for my 2.5yr old son!
    By nicoleE in forum Constipation, Toilet Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 13:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Cots on BubhubLooking to buy a cot or bassinet? :: Cot safety checklist :: Local or online nursery ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
What would you do to come up moneyGeneral Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
The fear in pregnancyPregnancy & Birth General Chat
Avoid name due to po@n star?Choosing Baby Names
❤Joyous June/July TTC!❤Conception & Fertility General Chat
Low sperm countConception issues & ttc
Is the name too popular?Choosing Baby Names
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›