+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Travel consultant/agent?

Thinking about a new career path next year and has seen a few travel consultant jobs advertised. Has anyone worked in this industry or know someone who does/has? What are the pros and cons? What is the pay like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My sister used to be one, though not for quite a few years now.

I personally think it is a dying industry. Surely more and more people just go online and research/book their own holidays these days? I don't know anyone except MIL & FIL who don't do it themselves. To me it would seem a risk to put the effort into going into a industry which may be shrinking.

Personally it would be one of my dream jobs though....planning the holiday is half the fun! My sister and I have all these awesome hypothetical itineraries worked out for trips neither of us are even realistically taking any time soon. I have to revise all mine now to factor in a baby. We're going to Italy in may when DS will be 10 months...will probably involve less prosecco than our last trip there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    For the general traveller that can use the Internet it may be a dying industry but for corporate industries it is thriving.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HippyGirl85 View Post
    For the general traveller that can use the Internet it may be a dying industry but for corporate industries it is thriving.
    Oh yeah that's very true. I guess I read OP as 'travel agent' like in a shopping centre where people go to book a holiday. Duh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    My sister works in the wholesale side of the industry. The pay is absolute rubbish. She has worked in the industry over 15 years and yet I got paid more in my first year out of uni then she does now. That said she has been on some awesome holidays and is always getting free trips away. She loves the job and from what I can gather there is still quite a market for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've worked as travel consultant in a travel wholesale company. I liked it but it's very competitive. You also need to keep up with sales targets. I wasn't very good at selling, so hardly got over my targets. I just don't like pressuring ppl. If I went back into the industry, I'd prefer a job just processing bookings already made and following up on payments or I'd do corporate travel as there's always bookings to be done and the wages are better.

Go do work experience to see if you'd like it.
    You definitely need to know how to sell and get the booking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've worked in the industry all my life.

I started as a travel consultant. Pay is very basic + commission.

Then I moved into wholesale. The pay is still very low but you can get 'famils' which are familiarization trips to a destination with a whole bunch of other agents. They're great fun and were the only reason I stayed as long as I did. But if I was a mum back then I wouldn't have gone anywhere coz I wouldn't have been able to bring kids with me.

After a few years I got a job with an airline. The pay got better and then I moved more into the actual 'airline' side than the travel agent side. My pay is pretty decent now and I enjoy the work most of the time.
    From what I know, the airlines pay the most rather than working for agents.

I also didn't enjoy being 'fake' to customers just to try and get a sale. But many people can do that quite well and the social side of the industry is pretty good.

You do get good perks, that's my main reason for staying in the travel/airline industry.
    If I didn't have that, I'd be back at uni finishing my degree for sure