ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1377581222.277403.jpg
So this just came up on my Facebook.. I guess it really is a rare thing to be sexually assaulted/harassed by a stranger : /
+ Reply to Thread
Results 81 to 90 of 102
27-08-2013 14:27 #81
Last edited by SugarSkull; 27-08-2013 at 18:03.
27-08-2013 14:55 #82
27-08-2013 14:57 #83
Where i live i can think straight of the top of my head at least 3 women being attacked while jogging early morning/ early evening in the past 6 months. Thats without even looking in the news.
I dont think it is that uncommon.
27-08-2013 15:07 #84
27-08-2013 15:07 #85
It is still very uncommon to be attacked by a stranger.
Every woman (generalization) fears that random attack but as pp have said its far more common to be attacked by someone you know.
We usually don't hear these stories reported as the police do not need the publics assistance in apprehending the assailant.
27-08-2013 15:15 #86
"Only 1% of the women surveyed identified having been raped by a stranger."
Myth: Sexual assault is committed in dark alleys by strangers.
Fact: In 70% of sexual assaults the offender is a family member, friend, work or school colleague. Of the remaining 30%
the offender is usually someone the victim meets socially or dates. Most sexual assaults occur in the victim or perpetrators home, car or workplace. Sexual assault by a stranger accounts for less than 1% of sexual violence and an attack by a stranger in a dark place is even less common (b).
You might not think its that uncommon, but the numbers show it is.
27-08-2013 15:19 #87
Her daughter is obviously immature, so I wouldn't give her comments a second thought really.
I also would not let one incident stop me from going back to that park, when we curtail our lives like that, 'they've' won.
I really think nothing she has done is remotely concerning, and being 50 years old, she can look after herself.
If she is looking to meet someone, I personally think meeting someone in a park is far preferable to meeting someone in a pub!
It's nice to be concerned, but I think your reaction to her situation (and the title of this thread) is pretty over the top.
Last edited by MilkingMaid; 27-08-2013 at 15:23.
The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:
27-08-2013 15:20 #88
There is a lot of research that shows that rape is almost always pre planned (not spontaneous or opportunistic), is not a crime about sex but power and is therefore not "provoked" by the victims choice of clothing or being drunk or being in a park etc.
This has some really good info or anyone interested:
The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:
27-08-2013 16:02 #89Senior Member
- Join Date
- Nov 2007
I think if we all lived our lives according to what is reported in the news, we would be pretty paranoid people. And miserable.
Domestic violence is far more prevalent, it just doesn't make the news as often, and isn't seen as shocking as something like what happened to poor Jill Meagher. At least one woman in Australia is killed every week by a partner, or ex partner. But people say that women shouldn't be walking alone?!
27-08-2013 16:07 #90Senior Member
- Join Date
- Nov 2007
Also, male to male violence is MUCH more common. Why do people never tell their boys/male friends to not walk alone or go out at night? After all, they are FAR more likely to be attacked. And no, I do not believe they should stay home to 'prevent' being attacked, but moreso there need to be harsher punishments for the people causing the attacks.
By Atropos in forum Pro-VaccinationReplies: 91Last Post: 01-09-2013, 19:18
By London in forum General ChatReplies: 7Last Post: 15-08-2013, 15:40
By JR03 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & ChatReplies: 11Last Post: 18-07-2013, 12:14
Cryosite Family Cord Blood & Tissue BankCryosite has been providing Cord Blood Banking services for over 14 years, and is the trusted choice of Australian ...
LATESTWhy it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?7 ways to break the ‘mumnotony’ at home
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
The Not So Serious Vent Thread #7General Chat
A - Z of baby girl namesGames & fun stuff
For those of you with babies and toddlers....General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
What do you think is the best resource for new Mums?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Have You Tried Using Medical Marijuana?General depression and blues
Help with baby names please!Choosing Baby Names
Egg Donation in South Africa #14Egg Donation