+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Need some advice from those who have been through IVF

A brief history:
    Im 28, healthy weight and quite fit but have been diagnosed with PCOS and have cycsts covering my ovaries. Went off the pill in March and never Od or got AF. Am on 3rd Clomid cycle currently although it isnt looking good.
    1st Clomid cycle on 50mg I Od fine, 2nd still on 50mg I Od a week late, 3rd on 50mg I didnt O and went straight onto 100mg where I am now, should have Od by now but my hormones on last BT on Monday showed my hormones were not doing anything. Have another BT this coming Monday to check if they have changed.... the Fertility nurse says shes surprised i have Od at all on Clomid because of the number of cysts I have.

Before starting this 3rd cycle my FS gave me 3 options:
    * try Clomid for 2 more months (taking it to a max of 5)
    * try FSH injections
    * go straight to IVF

They dont recommend IUI as it only has a 15% success rate compared to IVFs 50% plus IVF has gone down price wise and is comparable in price to IUI. IVF will cost me about $1000 out of pocket a cycle.
    Im currently paying $350 out of pocket for Clomid monitoring and Im assuming FSH injections are a bit more expensive than that.

Am I crazy to be thinking of going to IVF? Im reading all sorts of things about PCOS, the quality of eggs etc, etc Im figuring Im paying $350 now and not even necesarily getting any chance where for $1000 I can at least get a 50% chance! BUT i know there is allot more involved and thats why I am here to ask if anyone can offer me any advice.

Im not coping very well with TTCing, I have only Od (on drugs) twice in 9 months and its getting me down. I guess in a way Im sick of all this stuffing around I just want to jump right into IVF to hopefully give us a good chance.

Can anyone offer any words of wisdom?
    How have you coped with IVF?
    What treatments did you try previously?
    Am I overracting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Nicole,

Well I am 27 (only just turned it though) and have a DD conceived naturally. I was diagnosed with PCOS also earlier this year and last month was 2 years of us TTC. That said we have done 3 or 4 (sorry can't quite remember the exact amount now) Chlomid cycles and did our 1st full IVF/ICSI cycle in September which unfortunately was not successful and we are due to do an FET cycle this month (at the very end of the month). We are going through Repromed in Darwin and they have been fantastic. Our out of pocket expenses haven't been too bad as we had reached the safety net so we got 80% back of what we are entitled to and we are waiting for our money back from Private Health Cover.

IVF is a long road and a very emotionally draining road but also as you said it is giving us the best chance to have the kids we all so desperately want. The treatment does take a bit out of you but I just keep thinking that it will be all worth it soon.

On our 1st IVF/ICSI cycle we got 9 eggs and 7 of those fertilised and we had 1 egg put back in and froze the remaining.

If you would like any more information about the cycles or the Chlomid cycles do not hesitate to PM me and I can go through it with you and feel fee to ask any questions as I know I had alot when I started the cycles. All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks allot Trendy1 , we are actually seeing Repromed in Adelaide. They have been great to so far.

Can you (or someone) please explain the basic steps for IVF and a bit of a time line?

I have some idea but just want to get a bit of a jist of it to try to think about how I would cope with it. I find what I am going through now draining and very frustrating because there are so many unknowns. At this stage I feel at least IVF will have more of a schedule/structure to it (which is how I run my life! ) and a bit more hope which should keep me going.

What was the hardest part of it for anyone out there who has gone through IVF?

Thanks
    Reviews
    As for the time line I found some information on Repromed's web site....

Basically from what I can gather....

* for around 12 days hormone medication is given
    * trigger shot is given
    * 36hrs later Ovulation occurs and Egg Retrieval is done
    * 2-3 days later Embryo Transferr is done
    * (hopefully 4-5 days after that the embryo inplants)
    * Progesterone supplaments are given in second half of cycle
    * Blood pregnancy test is done 16 days after transfer if no AF

Im still unsure if I should be thinking about doing this this early though....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Nicole,

I will send you a PM as they may make it a bit easier for you.

Trenna

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Nicole,

Just thought i would say hi, and good luck. I to have PCOS, and am currently going through IVF. I have two children DD and DS conceived naturallywhen i was 23 /25 , and have been diagnosed with secondary infertility at 30. I was really nervous about IVF, I had definetely heard too many horror stories, but i have to say that so far so good, i have had no side effects, the injections are so small i can barely feel it.My egg pick up is in a week, i have alot of follicles which I am a bit nervous about, but everything is monitored so carefully i feel reassured.
    So I guess for me, I know everyone is different, but it hasn't been too stressful, yet? I have a friend on Clomid who has concieved but found it very stressful on her emotionally. So what ever you decide good luck, i know it can be stressful having all those bt to see if you have od, and the process seems to go on and on. I do feel with IVF that we are getting somewhere. So once again good luck and if you do decide IVF don't be scared off by the horror stories!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hello chicky

Hi there,

Yes, the unbeknown is very annoying isn't it. I was diagnosed with pcos around 2 years ago and it feels like a life time of counting days and waiting for the AF to stay away.

I am 31 almost 32 and I believe I have had pcos for a long time but until I actually decided to start a family I would not have known.

Unfortunately as you know everyone is different but I thought I'd share my story to help you a little.

Once diagnosed, I tried clomid for around 6 month starting at half, one, two and then 3 tablets and finally ovulated. I had two months were I had bursts cysts, very painful.

I then decided to give it a rest. I became depressed and so moody that I just felt useless.
    My doc wanted an op (Had a done this I would've known I had two blocked tubes) but as I thought I would go naturally instead for a while and saw this lovely lady who suggested a low GI diet. I am not a big person but I did loose some weight and started feeling normal again.

We were getting married in Mar 06 so we decided just to stop it all but continue to eat well....still no luck after wedding when I decided to go back on clomid for one more month. Doc advised another 3 months and I said no way.

We booked in for the op which was when I was advised I had both tubes blocked....it's was funny as I felt happy...I guess I just thought "atleast I know now' then we kept telling ourselves that if we knew the cause then IVF would be our best option.

After 4 months we finally got in to get started on IVF. I had read PCOS sufferers have a higher success rate but tried not to be too positive.

The treatment for me was good, not stressing, actually I felt kind of normal. As I have pcos I was told it could have something to do with the injections balancing my hormones. I felt sane for once. The injections didn't hurt, although I had led myself to believe they would.

We got 11 eggs and 9 fertilized and we had a day 5 transfer and all 9 survived so i just knew we would have luck, I began then to think....oh well I am sick of being optimistic and then decided I would be positive.

The 2WW was hard of course as you feel everything and assume the worst but again I just held my head high and believed in myself and the IVF.

2WW's later we had a positive blood test and I told more people than I should but all was going so well......and we are now 13 mths pregnant and had our 12 week scan last week.

Yes, we did 1st go so I am very lucky and I guess very fortunate,but luck can come or go, you just need to be positive (As hard as it is) and deal with anything when and if it occurs.

I am having a very healthy and glowing pregnancy and fingers crossed everything else continues that way.

My advise to you, clomid is a very long and emotional journey and can end up costing heaps with no benefits, IVF is the go I think as I felt heaps better on the IVF, perhaps I knew the % rates were more in my favour.

You are still very young and if you believe your doc is putting you through too many months of clomid, be strong and use your own instincts as you know your body better than anyone else. Demand what you feel is going to be better for you financally and emotionally.

As I have been on this forum I understand IVF has it's down sides and not all are positive, just do what you feel and stay with us...you will become quite knowledable to all areas and it's amazing what you can learn from all the wonderful women. They don't judge, nor are jealous, everyone is delightful and only ever reassuring towards everyone. It's great to get to know what side effects people have because if anyone knows where your at or what your feeling it's us here on Bub Hub forum....take care.

PM is you like........Cheers and have a great weekend!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so much for your replies. It helps allot.

I dont want to stay on Clomid any longer, I think I will talk to my FS about FSH injections and the possibility of IVF. I am not scared of trying IVF I guess I kind of feel in a way Im cheating if I do IVF because I think that I would eventually get pregnant on Clomid or FSH, its just I dont want to handle all the months and months of waiting and emotional times that will also last that long... does that makes sence?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nicole,
    guee this was a long time ago so I'll try and remember.
    We did Clomid for 12 months on 100mg and O'd every cycle with IUI's after that didnt work we went to FSH and I was on 100ius and had 40 follis come up so that was a bust. They swapped me straight over to IVF as I was so hit and miss (also I am PCOS).
    First cycle of IVF I got 56 folis so I responded great on the drugs and continued too every stim cycle.
    I prefered IVF so much more to o monitoring at least I knew something was going in at the end of a cycle and we atleast had a chance.
    I wish you all the best with what ever you decide
    Bec