+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    How on earth do you know if the chased up the other person? They would have.

It's the insurance company who deal with it.
    Absolutely. An ex friend years ago was uninsured and wrote off someone's brand new car and their own car. They had to spend 5k to buy another car, they had to pay the other people's towing fees and excess. The other people claimed their car through their insurance and then the insurance company chased my ex friend for $20,000 and he had to pay it. Because he was at fault and uninsured.
    Last edited by LifeInShadesOfGrey; 19-08-2013 at 16:52.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    What if someone hit my car and neither of us were insured. Even though I am not at fault does it mean I get nothing?
    Yes - You'd have to rely on the other person covering the costs for you. If they cant afford it, there's nothing you can do (i think?) The beauty of insurance is that you don't have to worry about it because even if someone else is uninsured you know you'll be covered by your own insurance if not someone else's. even though its annoying having to claim when you aren't at fault

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (19-08-2013),Jontu  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeForWine View Post
    I agree with RR - you should def look into third party! If you go through youi it would be SO cheap and just for peace of mind! Not only that but its hardly fair to say oh well if they have their car insured and its a half decent car and I hit it, then oh well they can pay for it! I mean just because someone DOES have insurance and a nice-ish car doesnt mean they can afford to pay for the excess etc if they have to claim! Or that they dont make sacrifices to insure!
    I didn't mean it like that!! I just thought that their insurance recovered the repairs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    What if someone hit my car and neither of us were insured. Even though I am not at fault does it mean I get nothing?
    You have to sort it out between yourselves then and if you can't you take them to court to recoup your costs if you wish to take that path.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (19-08-2013),Jontu  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In regards to the OP, we have a small
    Savings. We have been a bit savings slack the last few months so I need to start saving more I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by callmedragon22 View Post
    But that's why they have insurance?? Not everyone can afford car insurance, and public transport isn't viable for everybody. My car isn't worth the money to have car insurance, simple as that.
    It doesn't matter how much your car is worth, it's whether or not you can afford to pay for someone else's car that you damage. If you can't afford third party property insurance than you certainly can't afford to pay for a brand new bmw if you write one off, meaning it's even more important for you to find the small amount of money for insurance.

As a perfect example why everyone should at least have third party property:
    A friend rear ended one car with their $1k car causing the car in front to rear end anothee car and that one into another. He was liable for the damage of 3 cars (not including his own) and if he didn't have third party property he would still be paying off the $100,000+ for cars that aren't his. Instead he only had to pay the $1500 excess and his insurance covered the rest.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (19-08-2013),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (19-08-2013),mrstuilawa  (19-08-2013),SoThisIsLove  (20-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    >>looks like a 'do you have insurance? Do you understand how insurance works?' spin off thread is needed

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

callmedragon22  (19-08-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (19-08-2013),HugsBunny  (19-08-2013),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (19-08-2013),rainbow road  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by callmedragon22 View Post
    I didn't mean it like that!! I just thought that their insurance recovered the repairs.
    I used to do debt recovery for AAMI. If the insured driver isn't at fault their insurer has to recover the money from the person who is at fault. All the insurances companies would be run into the ground if they were covering costs because of all the idiots that are uninsured. If you're uninsured and you're at fault you're most definitely liable for costs. You could try and hide but 99.9% of the time you would be found. I've had warrants for people's arrest done because they were trying to hide. Do yourself a favour and get car insurance.

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrstuilawa For This Useful Post:

callmedragon22  (19-08-2013),HugsBunny  (19-08-2013),Mod-Zeddie  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    and to answer the OP - yes we have savings, three modest accounts in the kids' names. and a small 'house reno fund'

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (19-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Right.

In Tasmania, when you pay to register your car, part of that payment goes towards what we call MAIB. MAIB insurance covers the OCCUPANT of the other vehicle for any personal injuries as a result of a car accident that is YOUR fault. It does NOT, in any way, shape or form, cover the car of either party.

I assume this goes for all states and territories, as far as I know, it is compulsory everywhere.

What is NOT compulsory, is CAR insurance, whether it is third party, fire and theft or full comprehensive insurance. The ONLY way to cover ANY car for an accident, is to take out some form of car insurance, it will never be done automatically for you.

If you are in an accident, that is your fault, and you are uninsured, you WILL have to pay back the insurance company of the other party. Yes, they can claim on their own insurance (assuming they have full comprehensive insurance), and have their car fixed/whatever. But YOU, as the uninsured, will have to pay back THEIR insurance company. They need to be paid back by someone for the costs of the accident.

If neither party is insured, or the other party only has third party insurance, then you are still expected to pay the costs of having their car fixed. If you do not, they can, as far as I am aware, take you to court over the matter. Though I am a little iffy on that, but it makes sense logically.

Bottom line is, if you don't have some form of car insurance, you're being incredibly irresponsible.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (19-08-2013),susanne  (20-08-2013)