+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    This is a bit more like it! I've also heard that men opting out of taking their whole maternity leave is frowned upon. I think we have a long way to go in truly valuing family as a pillar to a successful society. This is a step towards that.
    OT but Sweden also banned smacking in 1979. Quite the country to be admired IMhO (sorry couldn't resist throwing that in).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fox View Post
    It is mostly funded by big business through an increase in the company tax by 1.5%
    I dont think it should be funded by all the business, it would make it far too difficult and costly to run business in Australia.
    As a small business owner, there is no way we could foot the bill for 6 months paid leave as well as the increase in super.
    If you make it too hard and expensive to do business in Australia then more jobs will move offshore.
    I totally agree. And for a small to medium business owner, it makes women less attractive workers. I know it is against the law to discriminate on grounds of gender, but seriously, if you had two candidates for a job, both equally qualified and experienced, but one is male and one is female - you cant tell me the business owner would choose the woman, knowing full well he'll be up for 6 months ppl to pay if she wants to take maternity leave???

Having the government fund it rather than businesses, helps ensure that discrimination doesnt start creeping in.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steel magnolia For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (23-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well thats a bit silly, no? People complaining that the LNP PPL is too generous and unaffordable in this economy and some are arguing that because they get to 'double dip' into the current PPL then thats ok

Of course this double dipping is just one aspect of the wasteful spending of the KRUDD/Gillard government.
    A lot of the so-called 'double dippers' are university /public servants who get paid a fair bit less than they would in private enterprise for the same work, in exchange for better conditions. I fail to see how that is double dipping as the outcome is the same

5. The Following User Says Thank You to soccer mum For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (24-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We will all be paying for this as I said earlier. Big companies will just pass the cost on to the consumers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    As for double dipping, I am into my 18 weeks ppl now after 28 weeks half pay from my employer. The federal government didn't pay my employer leave.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    We will all be paying for this as I said earlier. Big companies will just pass the cost on to the consumers.
    Precisely. That evil carbon tax must be abolished because big business would pass on the costs to consumers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am actually in favour of this idea. But it still won't make me vote liberal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccer mum View Post
    A lot of the so-called 'double dippers' are university /public servants who get paid a fair bit less than they would in private enterprise for the same work, in exchange for better conditions. I fail to see how that is double dipping as the outcome is the same
    Its double dipping because their employer (i.e. the government) is paying them maternity leave as part of their pay agreement and then they are also getting paid maternity leave from the government again under the federal scheme. It is double dipping if you are being paid twice for the same thing.
    Im not sure what else you would call it??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Its double dipping because their employer (i.e. the government) is paying them maternity leave as part of their pay agreement and then they are also getting paid maternity leave from the government again under the federal scheme. It is double dipping if you are being paid twice for the same thing.
    Im not sure what else you would call it??
    It is part of employment contract for some jobs. In the same way that some employers pay extra super as part of the contract. Or some people get 5 week holidays because they work shifts. Some people get 1 day ADO for every 4 weeks work, all part of specific work agreements. You make it sound like it's cheating the system when it's just part of a work agreement.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Starfish30 For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (27-08-2013),BigRedV  (25-08-2013),kw123  (25-08-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (24-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfish30 View Post
    It is part of employment contract for some jobs. In the same way that some employers pay extra super as part of the contract. Or some people get 5 week holidays because they work shifts. Some people get 1 day ADO for every 4 weeks work, all part of specific work agreements. You make it sound like it's cheating the system when it's just part of a work agreement.
    I know what you are saying but what im saying is that I dont believe the government should be paying maternity leave to individuals who already receive it as part of their specific work agreements.
    Im not sure what the problem with that is?
    The PPL is not a bonus payment for mothers like then baby bonus was and if you are getting PPL from your employer then essentially the government PPL is a "bonus" payment