+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1
    Reviews
    0

    Default Which is better preschool or childcare?

    What is the difference between childcare and preschool?
    My son is 3.5 and everyone i speak to sends their kids to preschool. My son goes to childcare.
    Is my son missing out on preschool?
    What do they teach that childcare doesnt?

  2. #2
    MrsHoward's Avatar
    MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    853
    Thanks
    811
    Thanked
    263
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Pre School is usually where kids go to get ready for kindergarten/primary school. Starting at about age 3-4 . Some childcare centres are combined Pre-Schools , as in they offer a similar programs or " school readiness programs" , so kids can be ready for primary school.
    I dont know if your child is missing out, maybe ask the childcare centre?

    Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    452
    Thanks
    606
    Thanked
    222
    Reviews
    0
    The only difference between childcare and preschool is the hours. Both are still accredited by the same people, both should be offering the new EYLF as a basis of their curriculum and daily activities. Preschools are usually 8-4 whereas childcare obviously is open longer hours for working parents etc. Depending on how big your centre is, you are also required to have an ECT (university trained early childhood teacher) on the premises too so your little one shouldn't be missing out on a thing
    Last edited by JAG242; 11-08-2013 at 04:43.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to JAG242 For This Useful Post:

    Mamasupial  (11-08-2013)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,904
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked
    645
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've been wondering the same thing. I heard that childcare centres need to employ proper kindergarten teachers now for the kids starting school the following year - does anybody know if this is correct??

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,775
    Thanks
    7,636
    Thanked
    6,478
    Reviews
    11
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerFun View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing. I heard that childcare centres need to employ proper kindergarten teachers now for the kids starting school the following year - does anybody know if this is correct??
    This is correct! I am one of them. Basically I run a kindergarten program from 9-3.30 however since it is a child are centre, the children can show up early and leave late, as well as attend during the "holidays".

    However not all child care centres have a qualified registered teacher employed yet, it's a process.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,904
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked
    645
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beccaboobang View Post
    This is correct! I am one of them. Basically I run a kindergarten program from 9-3.30 however since it is a child are centre, the children can show up early and leave late, as well as attend during the "holidays".

    However not all child care centres have a qualified registered teacher employed yet, it's a process.
    Thanks! That's great! When will all centres have to have one by? I'm pretty sure our centre recently hired someone but I haven't really asked and can't find our last newsletter lol

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,775
    Thanks
    7,636
    Thanked
    6,478
    Reviews
    11
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerFun View Post
    Thanks! That's great! When will all centres have to have one by? I'm pretty sure our centre recently hired someone but I haven't really asked and can't find our last newsletter lol
    I think it's 2014 but I honestly believe they will have to extend it. Either that or many child care centres won't meet requirements by then. My centre now is brilliant and pays me accordingly but many teachers simply won't move to kindergarten due to lower pay.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    452
    Thanks
    606
    Thanked
    222
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by beccaboobang View Post
    I think it's 2014 but I honestly believe they will have to extend it. Either that or many child care centres won't meet requirements by then. My centre now is brilliant and pays me accordingly but many teachers simply won't move to kindergarten due to lower pay.
    It is 2014. The centre I work at is fortunate enough to have an ECT in every room but I understand that some centres would struggle to find one by the deadline.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Preschool for shy 2 year old?
    By Cdro in forum Preschools and Schools
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-06-2013, 17:01
  2. How to get your child a place in childcare/preschool
    By Hootenanny in forum Pregnancy & Parenting In The News
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 23-05-2013, 16:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Little Kickers NSWLittle Kickers was launched in 2002 in the UK and arrived Down Under in 2009. Our motto is “Play not Push” and we ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Acupuncture recommendations - Melbourne.Conception & Fertility General Chat
Amazing August TTCConception & Fertility General Chat
CoQ10 yay or nay?Conception & Fertility General Chat
Stroller for travelProduct Recommendations & Questions
Joyous June/July TTC! #2Conception & Fertility General Chat
Best apps for toddlers?General Travelling with Kids Tips
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›