+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Constant feeds

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with constant feeding. The last couple of days I have felt that at certain times of the day/night I constantly have to have my boobs out to feed bubs.
    I have read that babies feed on demand, but for example last night I think I fed him 30 to 40 minutes twice within 2 hours, only to them feed him 2.5 hours later for another 45 minutes. Then another 2 hours later for and hour & half until he then fell asleep. I am not sure whether he is getting enough, as he won't settle unless he his fed more. Again today I have fed more often than the last 2 weeks.

Not that I mind it just gets rather tiring, but he doesn't seem to settle or fall asleep unless he is has been breastfed (however, he will stop sucking and fall asleep at the breast - only to wake up a few minutes later), and I feel that my breasts aren't fully recovering and becoming firm again before he needs the next feed. Could this be a sign that I do not have enough supply. I am attending a lactation day stay on Friday - but I don't know whether I can keep up till then. I am totally exhausted, as he did not sleep at all during the day today. We still have wet nappies - but as he does a bowel movement with each nappy anyway - its hard to say whether all nappies are wet as well.

Any advice would be handy. I am not sure whether its me - or he is just adjusting to an increased routine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi
    I know it can be exhausting but believe me - it will settle down before you know it.

Both my girls had periods when they wanted to feed non stop. Wtih DD2 it was from mid-afternoon until about 9 or 10pm somedays. I developed a personal rule that I could only feed once an hour - that way I knew she wasn't hungry. So if I fed her at 6pm and finished at 6.35 I wouldn't feed her again until 7pm. One of the best ways for her to settle during that time, apart from on the breast was for DH to take her for a walk around the block in his arms. It got her out in the fresh air, away from the smell of milk, and gave me some time to eat, drink, wash, talk to DD1 etc.

As for your breasts not feeling firm - that feeling doesn't mean that you don't have milk. The 'firmness' of being full often stops after the first few weeks as your body works out how much you need to produce to keep up the supply. Mine can feel quite soft and "empty" but I can express 100mls from them, so don't take that as a sign that you aren't producing enough.

As long as baby is filling nappies, whether poo or wee, you know that food is going in.

SOme tips to increase the quality of your milk, rather than the quantity are to increase your animal protein in your diet. My lactation consultant said that we should be eating more meat, fish, chicken etc with every meal - breakfast included. She said if you need to snack, a sausage roll instead of a Mars Bar will improve the quality of your milk in better ways, and give you better energy to keep going. The protein helps you and your milk quality, so give it a try.

It is exhausting but it will get better - I promise! Your little man is still adjusting to being out here in the world - you won't have a routine for a while yet because he is still working out what is what. If he falls asleep on the breast and that is way that you can get some rest go with it - have you tried feeding him while you both lie down on the bed? That way you can gently roll him away when he falls asleep, or leave him on and you can both lie there and sleep together - it is a good way of getting some much needed sleep for both of you!

Hang in there - help is only a few days away and it will be worth it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your baby is being very normal Try sleeping with him both in the day and the night so you never have to get out of bed to feed him. There are lots of threads on cosleeping on bubhub that will give you ideas. Babies are meant to fall asleep on the breast, let him do it as long as he wants to and you'll almost never have to work to get him to sleep. If everyone bfed their babies to sleep there'd be no yucky sleep trainers!

You're doing a great job! Babies were born to be breastfed! Join your local ABA so you can meet other bfing mamas and it will all be much more normal to you.
    *hugs*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    My little boy was born 4 August and we had the same issues as you, he would feed every two hours and take an hour to feed each time. I thought the same things as he was so unsettled & many others also asked me if he was getting enough.
    Is he gaining weight well? If the weight gain is good there maybe other causes (ie growth spurts) - we found out at six weeks that Nathan had silent reflux. Some medication, which we are still trying to fine tune has made a great difference

I understand you are totally exhausted - but remember, the choice is yours as to breastfeed or use formula. Dont let anyone make you feel guilty if you choose not to continue breastfeeding.
    I hope you find the support you need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ((((HUGS)))) for you nkenward! Congrats on your new bundle of joy

I have a 4 week old bubs and he was feeding every 30 minutes at one stage. He's put on a huge amount of weight (twice as much as the average baby's weight gain) and was pooping so much it burnt his little bum

Apart from being very exhausting for me, it was tiring for Aiden too.
    I took him to a peadeatrician last week and he said that babies who feed so often normaly have tummy pains which make them think they are hungry when they aren't really.
    I have Aiden on zantac for reflux and since we put him on it he only feeds 3 hourly expect for his unsettled periods which all babies have at this age. From 7am till 9am he seems hungrier than usual and between 6pm and 9pm.

Maybe your bubs isn't getting wind up properly? there could be other causes for tummy pains, you could take bubs to be seen by a pead if he doesn't settle.
    Also, if you are ever concerned about him not getting enough and you're not sure about enough wet nappies, they can check his hydration levels at your closest hospital which would put your mind at east