+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pregnant after loss - when is the best time for scan?

Hi Everyone, I have been taking pregnancy tests for almost a week, and starting to believe this is actually happening. I would be 5 weeks, and have just made an appt with my GP for Monday (if I can someone sneak some time away from work!). I wanted to ask you all when is the best time for a peace of mind scan? The bub we lost in October was at 8 weeks, a day or so before I had a scan. No hb. So I am very keen to see that heartbeat, but do not want to go to a scan so early that it is not there. Could you please advise me in this? xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in a similar boat to you. I've had two mc in the past year and just today found out that I'm UTD again. I too am wanting to see a heartbeat at my scan. I think that usually you'll be able to see a heartbeat at 6 weeks. i'm planning to leave it until 6.5 - 7 weeks just to be sure. Hope that helps, and good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would wait until 7 weeks to be safe. My dr made me wait until 9 weeks which was hard but made me think whatever happens happens & I have no control over it. All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My doctor wouldn't book a scan until 8 weeks just to be sure so there wasn't the added stress of there being no hb and having to wait. The wait was so hard but worth it! I would say any time after 7 weeks for complete certainty

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd wait until 8weeks. I went for a scan at what should have been 8 w as per LMP and was devastated when they told us for an 8w baby the HR was too low and we should expect to lose it (nice Easter long weekend that was!) but went back a week later and there was a galloping heart rate! Turns out dating scan the second time put bub at 8 wks, so the first scan he/she was younger than they thought (the HR would have been fine for a 7w bub). That was a week of torture for no good reason!
    I'd say for own sake go later!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. Meg2 - congratulations - that is so exciting (and a tad daunting too I know!!!). Let's trust that it will all work out beautifully this time around for us!!!!!!!! I think waiting until 7 weeks or so is a good plan. I am sure the few weeks will drag, but that is ok - I have plenty to do in the meantime (uni..... blah!!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    One more question!! We have a longstanding dinner arrangement with a group of friends - and it is next week. There is always alcohol and dinner may or may not include things that are on the ""do not eat when preg" list. Any advice???? I do not want to tell anyone until we have at least seen a heartbeat - I am sure many others have had similar predicaments

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I specifically chose an OB that had an u/s machine in his office and would do a scan every appt. he saw me at 6w3d to go over my history and give me peace of mind, he did a scan then and there was a heartbeat but before he did it he explained there may not be and he'd be happy to see a yolk sac and fetal pole, if there wasn't a heartbeat yet he would just have me in the following week to see. I saw him again at 8 weeks (which was my original appt, the 6 week one ended up being because I had called his midwife worrying and asking questions and she thought it best I just come in and work a plan with him sooner rather than later). I saw his midwife for a 'reassurance scan' at 9 and 10 weeks, held out through 11 since I have my 12 week this Friday!

My GP would have referred me for a scan around 7 weeks if I was worried but by then I was already referred to the OB so it didn't really matter.

Do what you need to do, don't be afraid to ask and insist on whatever you need for peace of mind, the anxiety isn't worth it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tell friends you are one a detox diet, that way alcohol is definitely out and you can pick and chose which foods to avoid. That's what I told everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If there really are limited choices with the food offered. Eat only what you should, then comment that your other half and you went out for a late lunch and are sooo full! Or get other half to finish off your meal of things you can't eat.