+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question moving to Melbourne - Help?

NOTE FROM JESSIE - SUMMERLY AND JESSGREY I HAVE MERGED THIS THREAD AS I THINK THE POSTS IN EACH MIGHT HELP YOU BOTH, WARMEST REGARDS JESSIE

We just got back to Perth from Singapore this year and I am still getting settled in when hubby comes home and tells me that we will have to move to Melbourne sometime in the middle of next year. I still haven't finished unpacking the boxes and well now I won't bother. I have never been to the eastern states and my knowledge of Melbourne is dismal.

Hubby will be working at Uni of Melbourne but we would like to live maybe 10-15 km away from the cbd, in a suburb that is close to good transport, freeways, schools, shopping, safe, leafy and green with decent sized houses and all the other things that make a suburb good to live in.

We have been looking at areas around Bulleen, Viewbank and surrounding areas on the real estate websites and I was hoping that someone living around there could let me know what they think of where they are living or if there are other areas we should consider at all? What are the beaches like in Melbourne and is it worth living close to the beach at all?

We've got two kids, 6 years and 5 months so good schools, childcare etc are going to be very important to us. Especially when I go back to study in a few years time. Please give me your advice, I'll really appreciate it. Thanks.
    Last edited by Mother Duck; 15-11-2006 at 13:57. Reason: Symbiotic!!!

JorBai is offline Me & My beautiful friend Bep aka W&Ds Mama
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have lived all over Melbourne from Kew, Camberwell, Prahran but my fave place would have to be.....

Williamstown!

Its absolutely beautiful there. I loved going for walks and looking across to St Kilda, there is also Williamstown Beach. Its lovely there. Its across the westgate bridge about 10 mins from the CBD.

Good Luck with the move!

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Working in Parville and wanting to be 15 minutes away from the with public transport and leafy suburbs. Phew that is a big ask! Coburg is your best bet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have lived in the S.E suburbs for approx 2.5 years and before that I was in Qld. So I don't really rate the beaches down here compared to what I was used to.

I like the climate in summer, but not so keen on the winters. And I wouldn't want to be in Qld this summer as I am PG.
    I like the Penninsular area, especially Rosebud and Portsea. We quite often go down there for weekends or day trips in summer. It's too far out for us to live though.

I can't really help you with suburbs near the Uni though as we are further out. We live in one of the newer suburbs with all new houses etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a friend who lives in Viewbank / watsonia area it is close to the freeway and they have plenty of schools ect it's a nice area as for decent sized houses I don't know.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default where to look for rental in melb?

DP is desperate to get out of geelong and move to melbourne. but with rentals hard to come by i dont think it will happen
    i look in the papers and on the net but i cant find a nice place. i dont know which suburbs have lots of rentals that are affordable. as ds1 is 2 next yr we want to be near a kinder so when he is 3 its not too faraway.

we are looking for a 3 bedroom house with a fenced backyard so the boys can play in the yard and the bathrrom needs to have a bath and a garage or carport for our car anyone know where i will find a house like that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jess

So you want to leave your city of churches eh??

Do you know much about Melbourne? Do you know the difference in general with respect to the suburbs East, West etc etc?

What kind of work are you or DP looking for?

There are quite a few Melbournites on here that can prob help you - I guess you need to know what kind of suburb you are looking for - feel free to pm me for an open minded opinion (generalisation) on suburbs etc as I grew up in Melbourne

Off the top of my head three great hubbers that would prob be happy to help you (sorry to dobb you guys in) are Chellegoth (Coburg I think) Mummaduke (outer Eastern subs) and Allyoo (inner city - maybe Carlton) - might have got that wrong

Anyway - maybe pm them too

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and....

*puts on mod hat*
    any personal listings etc

Please pm them and not post public postings re advertising etc

Thanks
    Last edited by Mother Duck; 15-11-2006 at 14:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    Do you know much about Melbourne? Do you know the difference in general with respect to the suburbs East, West etc etc?

What kind of work are you or DP looking for?
    i dont know much about melbourne i know a bit about dandenong as i have family there and i have friends in watsonia thats about it i know my way around southbank hehehe does that count well i want to start my own work from home business and DP is a sahd till the boys go to school.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Inner northern suburbs are a bit pricey, you may haveto go further out Jess.