+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 78 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You do realize don't you that often you cannot board a plane to specific countries without the airline confirming your status to enter? An example is my husband (or anyone entering America) has to apply online for a visa waver and show the airline he has done so before they give him his boarding pass. One time he forgot to do this and it was a rush to hop online apply and hop back in line for his boarding pass!

Australia also requires an eVisitor which is electronically stored authority on your passport to enter OZ as a tourist.

And as fairy floss explained on a previous post, the Iranian govt. takes their passports.

ETA: from what I can remember, when I entered Malaysia I did not to have prior authority connected to my passport, but I think we did have to buy a visa when we passed through immigration.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 23-07-2013 at 13:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Father,

You're assuming that an iranian asylum seeker would have access to a passport. Unlikely, such a government would be unlikely to issue a passport to someone they are persecuting. You need a passport to access international flights.

If a refugee from another state is currently in Iran (and there were afghan refugees there until Iran expelled them recently) then they would also be highly unlikely to access an international flight.

Finally, it is not illegal to board and boat in Indonesia and head for Australia. It is not illegal to travel to a state and seek asylum. If you swim, fly, sail or surf. It is not illegal.

Your posts leave me wondering if you're an expert troll or just willfully ignorant. Folks are entitled to their opinion but posting easily debunked fairy stories is not opinion. It's just lies.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to orlyon For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (23-07-2013),beebs  (24-07-2013),Kirst33  (23-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orlyon View Post
    Father,

You're assuming that an iranian asylum seeker would have access to a passport. Unlikely, such a government would be unlikely to issue a passport to someone they are persecuting. You need a passport to access international flights.
    I would not call it an assumption when there have been 6000 Iranians fly to Indonesia in the last 4 months.
    Coincidentally, there have also been more than 5000 Iranian 'asylum seekers' arrive in Australia this year.
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226681978119
    Whilst not all of the 6000 can be assumed 'asylum seekers', a great deal of that number would be. Now, if they flew into Indonesia - they had a passport. They could have flown anywhere as I explained in my previous post.

Indonesia is now stopping Iranian visa-on-arrivals to try to stop them using the country as a transit point for Australia.
    http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...-iranians.html

So no, I am not 'willfully ignorant', nor an expert troll. It is

So far, the only response to my scenario is that they 'would not have a passport'. This is not the case in the majority of situations. Both the Australian government and Indonesian government says as much.

In the scenario I gave, did he have 'good cause' to fly to Indonesia to board an expensive and dangerous boat?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So, an Iranian has a real passport, not a forgery they had to buy. They go the airport and check out the screen and go, 'wow! Look at all these destinations! I can choose whichever I want but I'll choose Indonesia and then hop on a dangerous boat to Australia!'

Do you honestly think that's what's going through their mind? That their choosing this destination and mode of travel for sh*ts and giggles?

You said yourself, until last week, Indonesia had no restrictions on Iranians entering their country. I'd harbor to guess that many countries do have restrictions on how easy it is for an Iranian to enter (Australia included), as they do for most 'high risk' countries. Meaning that if they fear for their life they are probably trying to exit their country as quickly as possible.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 23-07-2013 at 15:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    So, an Iranian has a real passport, not a forgery they had to buy. They go the airport and check out the screen and go, 'wow! Look at all these destinations! I can choose whichever I want but I'll choose Indonesia and then hop on a dangerous boat to Australia!'

Do you honestly think that's what's going through their mind? That their choosing this destination and mode of travel for sh*ts and giggles?
    Would you care to explain how they come to the decision then to fly to Indonesia?

Thanks
    Reviews
    As I stated in the part you didn't quote, you said yourself that until last week Indonesia had no restrictions on Iranians entering.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not saying they're not entering Indonesia without already planning to travel to Australia, I'm saying that:

One: I understand the choice of Indonesia since many countries would have restrictions on them entering.

And two: I don't think they make the decision to leave their home and make a dangerous journey to a foreign country lightly. This isn't a case of 'oh, I feel like living in Australia and this seems like the easiest way!'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    As I stated in the part you didn't quote, you said yourself that until last week Indonesia had no restrictions on Iranians entering.
    So do you think the Iranian numbers will drop dramatically with that change? Or will they plan ahead and still get a visa for Indonesia?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    So do you think the Iranian numbers will drop dramatically with that change? Or will they plan ahead and still get a visa for Indonesia?
    Not sure Father, I'm not them. I've never been disadvantaged or feared for my life so I don't know how far they are willing to go for themselves and how quickly they need to.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is a great quote from an article I read regarding asylum seekers (I'm not allowed to include the link):

'I know that sitting in our lounge rooms and our coffee shops, our pubs and our playgrounds in our warm clothes with our medicare cards in our wallets, free education for our children and food in our stomachs, it’s easy to have very lofty views about what desperate people should or shouldn’t do; of how things should be.'

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (23-07-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (23-07-2013)