Hi Ladies! HELP!
I saw my OB today.I am due this Sunday (2 days) but OB thinks that baby will be overdue, as a lot of first babies are and my cervix is not anywhere near looking like I will be going into labor anytime soon.
So we began discussing the plan of what to do if baby does not come naturally in the recommended amount of time (before 42 weeks).
Option 1. Elective Caesarean. He said I could have an Elective Caesarean (or Planned Caesarean), in about a week, so I would be just over a week overdue.
Option 2. Induction. He would do the induction, in about a week, so again I would be just over a week overdue.
I see him on Monday and he will check my cervix again and see if it may look like labour could come naturally. But I will also have to see him on the Friday if nothing has happened to decide whether to go ahead with an induction or caesarean.
He listed both pros and cons of induction and planned caesarean.
He explained the Induction procedure and mentioned it may not work and then they may have to try again and if labor does not progress I could end up having an emergency caesarean, but this isn't too common.
My plan was to have a natural-as-possible birth, hopefully no induction or drugs, etc. It is my first baby so I have no idea what to expect or what is "normal". I have been listening to Hypnobirthing CDs and was really looking forward to the birth. Now I am scared and freaking out! And feel like all my plans have gone out the window! I know bub could still come naturally (which i really hope!), but I still have to make a decision before next week....Induction or Caesarean?
Background: I have had no problems during pregnancy, everything has been completely normal. And for the past month I have had all the normal signs; Braxton Hicks and cramps, etc.
I NEVER wanted to have a caesarean because of the healing process and I always thought of it as a major operation.
But what if the Induction doesn't work and I don't progress into normal labour and they have to do an emergency caesarean? I would feel terrible about putting the baby in that sort of distress. And I know people say Induction is more painful than "normal" labour (without an epidural). So do I choose a caesarean and have no pain at all (during the birth) or the more painful option (Induction)? I just don't know!
Anyway....what I would like to know is;
1. Your experiences in this situation?
2. Your experience in induction or caesarean (planned or emergency)?
3. Have you gone through both options and if so which one was best?
Sorry for the long post.....I am just so unsure of what to do
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 32
19-07-2013 13:44 #1
Induction Vs. Elective Caesarean...HELP!
19-07-2013 13:49 #2
My advice, wait until 41 + 6, and THEN have the conversation about induction vs CSec.
The chances of you going into labour before that are pretty good.
No point stressing about something which may never happen!
19-07-2013 13:53 #3Feel my wrath!
- Join Date
- May 2008
- Where the wild things are
Yep, you need to give it more than a week. DS was born 9 days over. Induction 10 to 14 days over would be better
Seems ridiculous reason for an elective caesarean.
Big boy '08
Little girl '11
Fetus-face due Feb '14
19-07-2013 13:59 #4-
- Join Date
- Jan 2011
What a joke. Typical obstetrician fear mongering.
Induction of labour standardly happens at around T + 10.
If your cervix was friggen ready for labour, then you'd be in labour. Thats why they give prostins (the gel) to help soften the cervix so it is favourable for labour.
Having an elective caesarean because you're a week overdue is the most ridiculous thing I've heard.
Chances are if you needed an emergency caesarean after induction it would be for a failed induction/failure to progress and the baby wouldn't be in distress at all.
Even higher chances is that you go into labour naturally and won't need any of it.
19-07-2013 14:00 #5Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jun 2011
I was told at 39 weeks that my cervix was very hard and closed and I would def go past my due date. 3 days later I went into fast spontaneous labour and had bub at 39+3... So there is hope!!!
I would go for induction over c/s if you r hoping for a vginal birth. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to PinkIsTheNewBlack For This Useful Post:
19-07-2013 14:01 #6
At 40+4 my cervix was unreachable. Closed and hard. Baby was born 5 days later within 3hrs. I'd just wait it out
The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:
19-07-2013 14:05 #7
And people were surprised when I mentioned csect happy drs doing these ops for non medical reasons! OP, I agree with PPs. I'm not sure why you'd even be told to consider a csect in this case. You said everything has been perfectly normal. Well, babies don't come on their due date very often. It's normal to be "overdue". I have been induced and had a natural labour, and tbh, the natural labour was shorter but more painful- posterior bubs both times. Not sure why. But either way, if you don't want a section, be upfront with your doc. As AM said, at 41+6 start organising your induction- chances are by then you'll be super close to popping anyway, if you even make it that far.
All the very best
19-07-2013 14:07 #8
Oh and last time with DD2 on the Friday around midday at an internal I was told my cervix was high and closed and not thinned out at all. She was born at quarter past midnight, Sunday morning, after a 3 hour labour
19-07-2013 14:24 #9Senior Member
- Join Date
- Nov 2010
You poor thing. What a dodgy dr for scaring you with unneccessary talk of surgery when you are supposed to be excited and getting ready to meet your baby.
You have a third option, and that is to wait until your baby comes naturally. Your EDD is just an estimated date, it is quite normal for a pregnancy to go to 42 weeks. It is way too early to have to make a decision on c section or induction.
However, now that your dr has mentioned that he is keen on interventions, it gives you a chance to research the options and decide what you are willing to accept.
In addition, vaginal examinations are often unnecessary and can lead to infection. The status of your cervix today does not indicate when you will go into labour.
19-07-2013 14:39 #10
This is mental. You shouldn't even be having a conversation about induction until you are at least 41 weeks and there is absolutely no reason why the words "elective c-section" were even uttered.
Just remember babies born from 40-42 weeks aren't late - they are within the normal gestational timeframe.
Many mums will have an induction at 40+10 so that is an option if that's what you want. But if there are no complications there's absolutely no need for an induction before then.
By Rachael623 in forum CaesareansReplies: 43Last Post: 04-11-2012, 17:35
By Buttoneska in forum InductionReplies: 19Last Post: 10-10-2012, 22:33
By larissa88 in forum elective c-section and positive c-section experiencesReplies: 11Last Post: 03-08-2012, 09:28
Tags for this Thread
The Health Hub & Glowing ExpectationsGlowing Expectations is conveniently located at The Health Hub in Darlinghurst. We offer pre & post natal personal ...
LATESTToilet training: when is the best time to start?Why it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Chickenpox after being immunised?Pro-Vaccination
IVF babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017pregnancy and babies through IVF
April/May TTC group chatConception & Fertility General Chat
any one else get a bfp after laparoscopy?Endometriosis Chat
Same sex parents or parents to be chat!Same Sex Parents
Bbt chart thread #8Conception & Fertility General Chat
Dr Antony Lighten - Appreciation threadpregnancy and babies through IVF
Awesome Mums of Autistic kids-how many of us are there (#3)????????Parents of Children with Special Needs
TTC - Could you have severe endometriosis and not realise??Conception issues & ttc