+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to encourage toddler to eat fruit

Hi everyone, my son doesn't eat fruit, everytime I offer he refuses. Even at day care when they have fruit for morning tea he refuses. He sometimes pickups an apple plays with it and that's it.

I can't even remember an instant where he actually ate fruit. It puzzles me as fruit is sweet and almost all kids like sweet food except him .

I juice the fruit for him so he at least can have some nutrition from the fruit. But I would love for him to eat it rather than drink.

Does anyone have a tip or trick of how to encourage him to eat fruit?

Thanks so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you tried cutting it into shapes? Or presenting it differently (ie make a face), a fruit kebab?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good advice above.

Or chop it up really small and add to yoghurt/custard or even ice-cream as a treat initially if that would help.

I mash banana and add to his Weetbix/porridge.

Try grating an apple/pear and putting it on a plate. If it looks 'different' it he may try it.

Fruit has always been a massive winner here, so that's all I've got sorry! My current battle is veggies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I cut it up into smaller pieces, DS seems to enjoy it more. He eats bananas like they're going out of fashion which is great but other fruit is a struggle. In terms of veggies I'm hiding them in everything, all the time.

I like the grating idea Pesca

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find my dd eats fruit more when she sees me eating it. I have in the past cooked and puréed it to add to yoghurt or cereal too

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    You could just have a play session with fruit- let him feel different textures, play with it, squish it, maybe lick his hands..have fun with it, with no pressure to eat. You can expand from there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Do you eat fruit with him? Make a big bowl of fruit salad for afternoon or morning tea and eat it with him every day, even if he won't eat it straight away I bet after a week he will start to try some as he is seeing you eat it every day , get a variety of fruits in different colours and just don't make a big deal if be eats it or not , make it part of your normal day ( do the same with veggies !)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD wouldn't eat fruit either. When she was about 3 I got some .99c ice cube tray's from IKEA in different shapes, hearts, stars etc. I cut up a couple of different types of fruit and put a small piece of fruit into each little section. I showed her a few smarties and told her if she eats all the fruit then she could have the smarties as a reward. After a couple of weeks she started eating the fruit without the smartie reward. I introduced a new fruit every so often and after the first couple she was happy to try any fruit in the tray. 18 months later she eats a wide variety of fruits (except bananas which I think is a texture thing).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for the advice and tips. I will definitely start changing the way I offer the fruit to him. Cheers everyone

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    You could just have a play session with fruit- let him feel different textures, play with it, squish it, maybe lick his hands..have fun with it, with no pressure to eat. You can expand from there
    I saw on that 'Fast food baby' show when they were doing this, as well as getting them used to putting it near their mouth like using a slice of apple as a moustache or 2 carrot sticks as fangs etc. Hasn't worked with my dd yet but I live in hope....