+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by risfaerie View Post
    I haven't seen the promotions for this, but are they talking more about freebirthing? If a person of any age dies at home with no doctor or medical professional present, and for no obvious reason, I think the police do have to be involved, I could be wrong though. That doesn't mean it is a crime scene, it's just procedure.

I agree that homebirth gets an undeserved bad reputation. I guess it is another case of the extreme few getting all the publicity, while the majority of people who homebirth do so and go on their merry way.

Birth is not a medical procedure, it's a fact of life. In many countries, homebirth is a perfectly normal and acceptable option for pregnant women. I don't see why it can't be in Australia. To me a midwife managed homebirth is not really much different to a midwife managed birth in a birthing centre.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    It's not that different. I really do love the system they have in Great Britain, where ob's seem to be against the grain, and its mostly midwife assisted births. If a mother requests a home birth, no one bats an eyelid, in fact she is probably congratulated! The midwife sets up a 'pack' for her incase they need medical assistance, the house is inspected prior to the birth and the midwife visits the parents to be a few times before hand too, torun through procedure, go over what could potentially go wrong (same as in hospital) and generally assess the whole situation.
    Then, when labour commences, two midwives on call arrive and stay for as long as it takes. Sometimes their shift ends and the next one comes in, exact same as the hospital, but the tax payer isn't paying for that bed, that food etc. win, win.
    And, should something happen to go wrong, the midwives make the call, the ambulance comes and in the meantime they have enough equipment at the home to make sure everything is ok.
    I have a hard time seeing the down side to their system, to be honest.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (13-07-2013),Atropos  (13-07-2013),LlamaMa  (13-07-2013),mum2twinboys  (13-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can I just say to anyone who will be watching this that some of the women shown or interviewed agreed to be part of it under certain conditions- it was pitched to them as a story to show the persecution of home birthing families, and to tell their side of the story. It has since been completely changed as you can see by the promo. They have apparently declined to let people withdraw from it. With that in mind, I am fairly certain you won't get an objective piece of journalism- just the usual sensationalised rubbish.
    I have not had a HB myself as my DH wasn't keen on the idea, but I have no objection to those who want to, it is their body and their choice. We all make our own risk assessments, after all.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (13-07-2013),Bubbles10  (14-07-2013),LotusMum  (14-07-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (14-07-2013),trustno1  (13-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Can I just say to anyone who will be watching this that some of the women shown or interviewed agreed to be part of it under certain conditions- it was pitched to them as a story to show the persecution of home birthing families, and to tell their side of the story. It has since been completely changed as you can see by the promo. They have apparently declined to let people withdraw from it. With that in mind, I am fairly certain you won't get an objective piece of journalism- just the usual sensationalised rubbish.
    I have not had a HB myself as my DH wasn't keen on the idea, but I have no objection to those who want to, it is their body and their choice. We all make our own risk assessments, after all.
    That doesn't surprise me at all. I have been approached numerous times (including via this forum) by various journos asking me to share my homebirth and freebirth experiences for whatever media platform. No matter the way the story idea has been pitched to me, I have always declined because I essentially have no idea on how the final edit will appear. It's rather pathetic, lowlife "journalism", really.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-07-2013),Bubbles10  (14-07-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (13-07-2013),risfaerie  (13-07-2013),trustno1  (13-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Very interesting - thanks for the heads up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A mother is legally allowed to give birth wherever she likes. In her home, in a hospital, in a hotel, even in a nightclub if she wanted to. She is legally allowed to have whom ever she wants at her birth. She also has the legal right to decline people from attending her birth.
    If a baby dies during birth, the death will be investigated, but unless there is evidence of murder or gross negligence, then no charges can be laid against the mother.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trustno1 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (14-07-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    That doesn't surprise me at all. I have been approached numerous times (including via this forum) by various journos asking me to share my homebirth and freebirth experiences for whatever media platform. No matter the way the story idea has been pitched to me, I have always declined because I essentially have no idea on how the final edit will appear. It's rather pathetic, lowlife "journalism", really.
    Oh I'm jealous I have never been asked *pouts* not that I would say yes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    It's not that different. I really do love the system they have in Great Britain, where ob's seem to be against the grain, and its mostly midwife assisted births. If a mother requests a home birth, no one bats an eyelid, in fact she is probably congratulated! The midwife sets up a 'pack' for her incase they need medical assistance, the house is inspected prior to the birth and the midwife visits the parents to be a few times before hand too, torun through procedure, go over what could potentially go wrong (same as in hospital) and generally assess the whole situation.
    Then, when labour commences, two midwives on call arrive and stay for as long as it takes. Sometimes their shift ends and the next one comes in, exact same as the hospital, but the tax payer isn't paying for that bed, that food etc. win, win.
    And, should something happen to go wrong, the midwives make the call, the ambulance comes and in the meantime they have enough equipment at the home to make sure everything is ok.
    I have a hard time seeing the down side to their system, to be honest.
    I like the system in Great Britain too. Personally I would choose a midwife managed birth, at a birthing centre or at home, over a private obstetrician any day.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by risfaerie View Post
    I like the system in Great Britain too. Personally I would choose a midwife managed birth, at a birthing centre or at home, over a private obstetrician any day.

Agree. Looking at intervention stats, obs scare the bejesus outta me! I'd only have one if I had to, iykwim. Jmo ofcourse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have to look at the "why" behind homebirth being so surrounded by negative hype and fearmongering... unfortunately the only why I can come up with is money. Money being taken from hospitals and obstetrics and being directed more toward independent midwives seems to be an issue. Considering the 0.1% or whatever the heck it is of women that choose homebirth, the media coverage seems soooo blown out of proportion. It's bizarre.
    I've birthed two babies at home supported by the amazing independent midwifery mode of care, and would consider hospital only if I had a medical problem during pregnancy or labour. Being persecuted for that choice is so illogical...

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (14-07-2013),Bubbles10  (14-07-2013),headoverfeet  (14-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (14-07-2013),risfaerie  (14-07-2013)