+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Low PAPP-A and NT results

Last edited by bees; 19-08-2013 at 11:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh, I really do get it.

My last pregnancy came after a lot of fertility treatment and IVF, and came not long after a miscarriage.

The pregnancy itself was a difficult one, as I had bleeding throughout the first trimester, and stopped myself from connecting 'too much' as I was scared of another miscarriage.

Then I had a high risk NT scan (1:61 for Down Syndrome), purely based on the low Papp-A and relatively high hcg, as the measurements were all great.

I was devastated. I had an amnio at 14 weeks, which came back as clear, but the 2 and a bit weeks between the NT and the amnio results were just awful. I distanced myself even further from the baby, and felt like I couldn't talk to anyone about it at all. I didn't let myself do an announcement either, although we had told some family and friends.

All I can say is that I get it, and it's a horrible thing to go through.

Was yours an IVF pregnancy? I ask that as it's quite common for the Papp-A score to be on the low side in IVF pregnancies, and I know a few people who have experienced the same thing.

Also, take comfort in that good measurements and bad blood results are better than the other way around. Your results are still good, in that you have a 592/593 chance that all is well. If someone told you that your odds of something happening were 99.8% (which is your % of everything being fine), then you'd feel pretty good about it, right? However, I also know that it's impossible to ignore that 'what if' feeling too.

I found it very hard to connect with my baby for most of the pregnancy. I couldn't really get my head around the fact that everything could be okay, as I'd spent the whole time trying not to get too attached in case it all went wrong. I never really 'connected' until she was born - at which point the rest faded away.

The IGENESCAN is really good, and it's great that it's available now. Lots of hugs, and hope that all works out well for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My baby girl is IVF, I also had very much the same results. I also had an amniocentesis and my little girl is fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Those are excellent odds - try not to worry about it.

We had 1:288 with DS2, he doesn't have t21. We decided not to do any further testing at the time.

My results would have been considered low risk in other countries such as the UK, so your odds wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh bees, how frustrating for you - I hope you don't have to wait much longer, and my fingers are crossed for a good result for you!