+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Birthday present for 5yo boy with special needs

Im going to start my saying im sorry if i offend anyone with anything i say. I new to this whole special needs thing and ive never been around special needs children.
    DD has been invited to a little boys birthday and im not sure of what to buy as a pressie for him.

He was born very prem and has physical and mental disabilities. The only way i can describe him is he is like a one year old (sorry if this is offensive, i really dont mean it it be). He doesnt speak, just makes sounds, he walks like a toddler though he is in a wheelchair most of the time.

I was thinking of getting him a torch with different coloured lenses. I thought he'd enjoy the different colours. What do you think?

Like i say, hes about a one year old in development though im not really sure of what he might like to play with. I dont want to get something too babyish but i kind of think the 5 year old toys might be a bit advanced for him.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How about some of those children's musical instruments? The xylophones and things?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You sound lovely! You could ask the mum, does he often have toys with him? Or wear t shirts with particular characters on it?
    The torch sounds good, the children I work with love anything that lights up, movement, things they can squish

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would ask the parent for some ideas otherwise the musical instruments are a good idea, or books, DVDs, music CDs, play doh, craft stuff, one of those sand pits that's like a small table, animal figurines- the schlech ones are gorgeous,

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like the idea of a Tshirt or pjs with characters on them, like ninjago or peppa pig - he might not be able to watch much tv but maybe it would make him feel special to kinda match the other kids? I am not ultra experienced either so sorry if this is way off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My oldest DD sounds similiar, and I don't mind when people ask for gift ideas, much rather they ask than give something she can't use.

But in saying that I love it when someone takes the time to get her something she likes - when they show they "get her" it is great!

Musical toys are great, bells in a loop that are easy to grasp or can be put around her wrist. Singing dancing toys - we have a lion that sings "dont worry be happy" and a flower that sings "you are my sunshine". Our DD has poor hand control and would like a torch but would struggle to hold it but she does have a cool nightlight that projects onto the ceiling and a mood egg that changes colour.

Other things we have that are good, a little keyboard that reacts to light touch, balls, jack-in-the-box, music box (we have wooden frog one that is not girly), books and cd books.

Goodluck and have fun!