Labour for bubs #3 was a total of 1 hour and 5 mins from waking up not realising I was in labour until bub was born. I am already wondering if I should be looking at a planned induction in case we don't make it to hospital in time we are about 25 minutes away from the hospital but also factoring needing time for someone to come look after the children or drop them off too in. I don't like the idea of being induced but I would be terrified of being stuck on the side of the road somewhere giving birth. Has anyone else had this situation or thoughts as to what you would do in a similar situation. TIA
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
29-06-2013 17:46 #1
Planned induction or not?
29-06-2013 18:13 #2
I would plan a homebirth Honestly though OP I wouldn't plan an induction. Only because I know that they can complicate things and lead to the cascade of interventions. Have all your labors been quick?
The Following User Says Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:
29-06-2013 18:16 #3
I would plan a homebirth, than everyone can come to you! So much easier
The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:
29-06-2013 18:16 #4
Hi there I understand your concerns but a word of warning, my close girlfriend had a very quick birth for DD and when it came to delivering DS she chose an induction for the same reasons you are considering but because induction speeds up what your body normally wants to do , bub came out so fast his lungs didnt adjust to the birth well and has been in and out of hospital ever since with him. He was full term so they put it down to the super quick induced birth. Please explore all alternatives before deciding what is best for you and your family. Best wishes
29-06-2013 18:16 #5
I understand your worry. I haven't been in this position but would rather avoid an induction, as it makes further intervention more likely when you may not have needed it otherwise. Much better to follow your body's lead in my opinion.
Can you talk to your doctor or midwife about your concerns? I totally understand if you don't want to risk it.
Sent from my GT-I9000 using The Bub Hub mobile app
30-06-2013 13:03 #6
Thanks for your advice and stories. I don't think I could cope with a home birth, I know this is ideal for some but it scares me. I am only 5 weeks preg so have not discussed anything with midwives etc yet. It's just something I had thought about if I had another baby. I do know I def want bubs to be born in a hospital (or at least try get there)
30-06-2013 14:02 #7
Doctors recommended I be induced for the same reasons. I'm terrified of all the intervention but I really want to be at the hospital when I give birth. Not in the car park!
We are having family come and stay here from 2 weeks before my due date and will be trying natural induction methods hoping to go into natural labour before the drs intervene. I'm a half hr drive from the hospital and am planning to spend a lot of time in the area when I'm due...
30-06-2013 14:03 #8
I had a planned induction with my last baby, the speed of DD2's birth didn't really factor into the hospitals decision but it factored into mine. I'll try to explain the situation without writing a novel but it will probably still end up long.
DS's birth ended with shoulder dystocia happening. DD2 was born at 36+1 spontaneously so a repeat SD wasn't really an issue in my mind. Her birth was about 2 hours from when contractions started and was my first quick birth.
With DD3 I was still pregnant at 37 weeks and happened to see the head OB at my hospital for some test results. He asked if I would want to have DD a bit earlier because of what happened with DS, I said yes so he said they would assess my cervix and induce at 38 weeks and sent me home with a fact sheet. I had never been induced before and freaked out reading the fact sheet so wasn't sure I would go ahead with the induction, I decided I definitely wouldn't if my cervix was unfavourable. So the following week an internal showed I was 4cms but DD's head was high. After a discussion with the OB we decided not to do the induction that week because of the risk of cord prolapse and the cascade of intervention so I just had a S&S instead. Now knowing that I was already 4cms and 40 minutes away from a hospital and approaching the gestation at which DS was born (39+5), and a few other small factors, I was sure I wanted to go ahead with the induction the following week.
The following week at my appointment everything was the same so it was decided that I would be given a small dose of gel which would hopefully start some contractions and push babies head down, then they wanted to break my waters give me an hour to get into "good labour" and insert the drip. This plan was started at 39+4, the gel did give me some mild cramps and at 39+5 after DH and I climbed the 5 flights of stairs for the second time her head finally dropped. My waters were broken and I was still 4cms and DD was born 25 minutes later and we avoided the drip that I was so scared of
I am glad that everything turned out the way it did, the decision was hard though because I was anxious about every possible choice. I'm not sure if I would have chose that option if a fast labour was my only reason, I'm not saying I wouldn't have but I just don't know, I was in a totally different headspace at the time so I can't say.
By Buttoneska in forum InductionReplies: 19Last Post: 10-10-2012, 22:33
By mumofbabes in forum InductionReplies: 41Last Post: 06-08-2012, 17:17
By polony in forum Pregnancy & Birth General ChatReplies: 95Last Post: 24-07-2012, 15:19
Impressionable KidsImpressionable Kids are Australia's leader in framed children's memorabilia and specialise in framed baby hand and feet ...
LATESTToilet training: when is the best time to start?Why it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Testing positive but faintConception & Fertility General Chat
Anyone tried charcoal toothpaste?General Chat
Mixed slumber partyGeneral Chat
Missed miscarriage... waiting, waiting, waitingPregnancy Loss Support
Am I the only thread killer??General Chat
Same sex parents or parents to be chat!Same Sex Parents