Hi everyone. I have two beautiful daughters earthside already. Both were born via c-section, as my pelvis is too narrow for my babies heads, and they never engage.
Anyway, so I am currently 33 weeks pregnant with baby #3. I am ok with having to have another c-section, although I did ask to be allowed to go into labour naturally before they slice me open, and my OB agreed, pending an ultrasound to check my scar.
I had my ultrasound on Monday, and a baby is doing well, weighing about 2k at the moment. Diaphragm was opening and closing, bladder full if fluid - so everything doing well, BUT the Sonographer said that the wall of my uterus is very thin, and he would not recommend being allowed to go into labour naturally. My OB agreed with him, and told me that going into labour naturally would be a 1/200 risk if the baby dying. Subsequently, she has booked my c-section for 38+4. I am concerned that my baby won't be ready to be born yet, and that she will have issues coming so early.
Does anyone have any similar stories they are willing to share???
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 16
26-06-2013 18:52 #1
C-section scheduled for 38+4
26-06-2013 19:17 #2
I had both my kids (ds 26months and dd 7months) at 38+4 weeks via c-section. Neither had/have any issues, ds was 2.6kgs when born and dd was 3kgs and didn't need to go to scn. Both breastfeed perfectly from the get go and were above birth weight at 1week old. I stayed in hospital for 3days after both and recovered really well.
Feel free to ask anymore questions.
26-06-2013 19:22 #3
Dd was born 38+5 by c section due to being breech. She was fit as a fiddle weighing just over 3kg she did have trouble latching once my milk came in, wouldn't put her tongue down but I think that's a fairly common problem regardless of whether bub is early, on time or late!
26-06-2013 19:27 #4Senior Member
- Join Date
- Oct 2009
I had my first child at 38 weeks (natural birth) and my second at 37 (planned c-section where I went into labour naturally). They were both fine, aside from being a little smaller and developing a bit of jaundice. No time in SCN. Anything after 37 weeks is not considered premature, and almost all babies born at 38 + 4 will be just fine. Certainly the baby's chances at this gestation will be a whole lot better than 1/200.
Im set for c-section this time at 38+5 and have no qualms at all. Hope everything goes well for you!
Last edited by jellybeanicecream; 26-06-2013 at 19:32.
26-06-2013 19:49 #5Senior Member
- Join Date
- Oct 2010
I had an emergency csection at 38+4 due to my waters breaking & complications. My baby was in special care for a week but that was not related to her gestation or caesar. Will they let you push it back a few days to 39wks if you are worried?
26-06-2013 19:52 #6Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jan 2012
My DD was born via c-section at 38w+5d. I had an elective c-section booked for the following day (38w+6d) but she had other plans and my water broke at 38w+5d. She weighed 3280g (7pd 4oz) and breastfed really well from birth. She had a little bit of jaundice but didn't need to go under the light. Good luck!
26-06-2013 19:56 #7
My baby was born at 25 weeks and by the time she reached 38+4 she was breathing on her own even after pneumothorax and chronic lung disease.
37 weeks is considered term for a reason.
best of luck
26-06-2013 20:01 #8
My son was born via planned c-section at 38 + 2, and weighed in at 3580grams, aside from some slight jaundice he was perfectly fine and suffered no ill health due to coming early. My ob said anything over 37 weeks was considered term.
29-06-2013 15:40 #9
We are considering timing for possible early induction/caesarean. My OB explained that the primary difference between having a baby at 38 vs 39 weeks is the baby's lung development and that the baby's lungs are a little more fragile if delivered earlier and if delivered via c section as there are no contractions to squeeze the fluid out of the lungs. The standard treatment for a pre-term baby is to give the baby steroid shots in utero to help with that final lung development, so if you are worried about bubs being ready I would ask your doctor about his view on giving the baby steroids.
DD Dec 2011, DS July 2013!
29-06-2013 19:22 #10
I have left my OB a message asking if we can push the c-section back 5 days, so that I deliver at 39+1. I figure it is worth a try!!
I know she will probably be perfectly fine at 38+4, but I just really want her to be in there as long as possible!
By cazzie07 in forum Pregnancy & Birth General ChatReplies: 3Last Post: 13-06-2013, 15:51
By Tippytoes in forum CaesareansReplies: 12Last Post: 17-05-2013, 06:53
The Fix Program Sydney CBD and BroadwayPregnancy and women's health physio, pregnancy and new mum Pilates classes taught by our physios for you and bub. ...
LATESTToilet training: when is the best time to start?Why it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Bbt chart thread #8Conception & Fertility General Chat
Egg Donation in Greece #5Egg Donation
IUI QueryNon-IVF fertility assistance
IUI - first time fertility treatmentNon-IVF fertility assistance
Mirena helpContraception issues
Food supplements for kidsGeneral Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat