+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question TTC on antibiotics - Safe or Not? Feedback appreciated

Hello all,
    TTC at the moment, but I'm currently on antibiotics to treat a UTI infection.
    Dr says type of antibiotic is safe for pregnancies (Cefalexin), however he advised me to avoid conceiving while I'm on the medication.

Unfortunately UTIs are a common burden for me... I'd hate to think I would have to put my TTC life on hold every time I'm on medication to treat this.

Is my Dr being over cautious, or should I be taking his advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would probably try and get rid of the uti before ttc, thus be off the antibiotics - caution is good as the effects on conception of antibiotics is probably hard to test.
    I had a uti detected when I had my pregnancy confirmed (5w) and was put on antibiotics, but obviously I was already pregnant so that doesn't help sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cephalexin is definitely safe, category A. Strange choice for a uti but safe. Did you do a urine test to see what strain of bacteria it is?

I too suffer from regular uti's, plenty of water and daily cranberry has helped.

Eta-I think he's being cautious due to a lack of data. Some antibiotics are proven to have a positive effect on CM making it more 'sticky'.
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 22-06-2013 at 21:53.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

tarjen14 (23-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a UTI when 3 weeks pregnant (so TTC as far as i knew) and another at 6 weeks.

The first time I was prescribed antibiotics and checked with the doctor they were safe given we were TTC. She changed the script from the Category B drug she had prescribed, to Cephalexin/Ceflex which is Category A. I had the same antibiotics when I got the next infection.

Both the doctor and the pharmacist reassured me the category A antibiotics were safe.

if you're worried, give the Drug Info Line at Monash Medical Centre a call. They are amazing. They will explain to you what Category A means, the risks of taking them etc. This will help you make an informed decision much better than someone like me!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ricepudding For This Useful Post:

tarjen14 (23-06-2013)

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was on antibiotics years ago for a trip to India- the antibiotics were to prevent malaria - the info sheet that came with it said conceiving while on them could result in birth deformities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's correct, Doxycycline and Malarone shouldn't be taken, but Keflex is fine.

Op-you can go to the TGA website and it will also explain it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your replies.
    Calling the Drug Info Line sounds like a good idea. It can be a pretty divided debate actually, but after doing some research I'm finding a lot more positives than negatives about TTC while on this antibiotic.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ngaiz,
    I have been prescribed Trimethoprim for UTIs before, but Dr gave me Cefalexin as he felt the symptoms I had would be treated better with it (more aggressive treatment than Trimethoprim). I didn't find out what strain of bacteria it was, but it was definitely a more severe UTI than usual. Man I hate them
    Thanks for your reply

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tell me about it I have an underlying kidney condition so I'm prone to them. They're horrible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it might more be a case of having sex while you have a UTI, rather than the antibiotics... I was on cephalexin several times throughout my pregnancy for UTI's all good and approved by my obs!

However I have just finished a course this week for a UTI (not pregnant) and was advised to finish the course before having sex to avoid further exchange of bacteria etc