+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would only buy the necessities I think OP - only those things you absolutely must have when a baby is born. That said, I have no idea what I'd really do, that's just a guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Probably a breastpump, some singlets, nappies, onsies and a moses basket. Seems almost cruel to make you keep the baby thirty days before adoption
    I am surprised a social worker hasn't spoken to you about your options once the baby is born. You don't have to take the bubby home with you, it can be placed with a short term carer that is usually experienced with situations like you have posted.

I also wouldn't buy anything either, not until you have made a decision about what you are going to do.

Would you be placing the baby with a government adoption agency or a community/church run agency?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to onionskin For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    Surely there would be the option of fostering the baby OP, I think you would bond with the baby in those 30 days which would be just more agony for you.

I have been following your story and I am so glad you are reaching out for support.

I'm in awe of your bravery and courage.
    There is the option of immediate foster care, I was not sure about going that way because of the strain on the system as it is. I'd be like a temporary foster carer myself, less handling of the newborn and less strain on overworked foster carers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by onionskin View Post
    I am surprised a social worker hasn't spoken to you about your options once the baby is born. You don't have to take the bubby home with you, it can be placed with a short term carer that is usually experienced with situations like you have posted.

I also wouldn't buy anything either, not until you have made a decision about what you are going to do.

Would you be placing the baby with a government adoption agency or a community/church run agency?
    It would be done through Department of Communities, seems like the best way of doing it with all the checks they do. I know checks can sometimes mean very little, but it's the best on offer at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe you could buy one of those in the bed bassinet type things. They are small so not as bulky as a portacot. Bub would be alright in it for a few months. If you decide to keep bub you'll still have time to buy a cot.

ETA: Like this - http://www.productreview.com.au/p/th...e-sleeper.html Big W sells them.

Me 29 + DH 33 = DD 6 months
    Last edited by Lauzy83; 17-06-2013 at 16:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would go the portacot option with bassinet and change table that comes included with it. Perhaps look on ebay for one. I'd get a few wondersuits, singlets and little jumpsuits. Could you reach out to salvos/lifeline places like that who could donate some items?
    2 boxes of nappies should see you through the 30 days too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think what you have listed should be fine, I would search local fb groups, markets, eBay etc. Try and buy second hand (most things are pretty much new anyway because they are used for such a short time).
    Maybe a pram if you plan on going anywhere?
    I probably wouldn't bother with cloth nappies and just stick to disposables?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, I misread your post.

What you've listed sounds okay...I probably wouldn't get cloth nappies, just disposables for now.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I'm not 100% on this, but I know in SA they are extremely forceful about placing/adopting out indigenous children to indigenous families only. This means that the process can take an extremely long time, so fostering might be an option worth considering.

I also would wait before buying anything. Frankly I don't think it should be your responsibility.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    I'm not 100% on this, but I know in SA they are extremely forceful about placing/adopting out indigenous children to indigenous families only. This means that the process can take an extremely long time, so fostering might be an option worth considering.

I also would wait before buying anything. Frankly I don't think it should be your responsibility.
    You are right, the baby is going to be Aboriginal but we live near a few Indigenous communities so that might make it easier?