+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Colposcopy on day of ovulation!

I've had three colposcopy appointments all of which I've cancelled, I can't cancel the next one. I have to go. I am worried though because we have been TTC for almost 12 months and my ovulation day is the day of the colposcopy. I don't want to rule the month out, but they say not to have sex the day before colposcopy and if I do have to have a biopsy taken for 3-5 weeks! Has anyone had experience with this? I was thinking of talking to the Gyno and telling them to not take a biopsy unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had 3 colposcopies and 1 biopsy but wasn't TTC then so no help, however if you DTD in the days leading up to O minus the day before the appt your still in with a chance. We had been TTC 9 months and the month we fell we DTD days before O and once only and we conceived DS.

If they see something worth taking a biopsy of I would definitely get it done tho. Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

wendlle (10-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you Shani, I think i'm just probably worrying more about the actual Colposcopy. I def want the gyno to take a biopsy if he sees something major wrong but just so want to be pregnant I don't want to do anything to hinder it. I'll let you know how it goes though, it's nice to have support. The appointment is Thursday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The reason for the Colposcopy is because they found some bad cells during a pap. The Gyno said that women who have bad cells "through the trauma of childbirth" flush them out, so he was suggesting to me that I try to get pregnant before the colposcopy that way I wouldn't even need to have it. But as I haven't fallen, now I have to have it. I know i'll be fine, it's more uncomfortable that anything i've heard. I hate having a pap so this will be a bit worse than that.
    We will DTD tonight and hope for the best!!

Oh and they don't generally do colposcopies when you are pregnant, the Gyno told me that there is a pretty high risk of miscarrige.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They do do colposcopys when you are pregnant. I know, because I've been there.

Fingers crossed for you op, hope there's nothing sinister there. If I were you, I'd put ttc on hold until after the results of your colposcopy, just in case you do need treatment for something. Imo, I'd rather get the all clear and know I was healthy before growing a person. But that's just me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wendlle View Post
    The reason for the Colposcopy is because they found some bad cells during a pap. The Gyno said that women who have bad cells "through the trauma of childbirth" flush them out, so he was suggesting to me that I try to get pregnant before the colposcopy that way I wouldn't even need to have it. But as I haven't fallen, now I have to have it. I know i'll be fine, it's more uncomfortable that anything i've heard. I hate having a pap so this will be a bit worse than that.
    We will DTD tonight and hope for the best!!

Oh and they don't generally do colposcopies when you are pregnant, the Gyno told me that there is a pretty high risk of miscarrige.

Ive had several colposcopies with biopsies - from what I recall there was no special advice re avoiding bd for a certain amount of time? Maybe just to take it easy due to the likelihood of bleeding. They weren't too much more unpleasant than a regular pap - only a small pinch when the biopsy was taken. Also not sure about the increased risk of m/c - I would assume this might be the case if you needed a LLETZ procedure to remove a significant section of your cervix.....that would weaken it to the point that you needed extra help to keep bub in place (for instance my ob suggested I may need a cervical stitch once I get pregnant....I had a LLETZ about 7 years ago but only had a small chunk removed).....and I was certainly never advised of an increased risk for m/c, then or now.

Would you b able to get a second opinion at all? (Not re the need for a colposcopy but the information surrounding risks etc)

Hope everything goes well for you, keep us posted

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wendlle View Post
    The reason for the Colposcopy is because they found some bad cells during a pap. The Gyno said that women who have bad cells "through the trauma of childbirth" flush them out.
    Really? That sounds really odd to me!

As I said I've had multiple colposcopies as I've never had a clear pap - just one of those lucky ones! And at my 6 week pp pap I had the same changes as always so am waiting on another colposcopy. I've never heard it suggested they would sort then out through the trauma of childbirth?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

HopefulMumto2 (11-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I just had a colposcopy recently and a biopsy was taken, but nothing was said about no sex afterwards, I only dtd once a couple of data after though then af came. I just had a lletz for cin 2, please please don't put it off or any treatment needed, get everything checked out first before ttc, if you need treatment while you are pregnant it is a big risk of miscarriage. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh definitely no sex for a few weeks after lletz though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All the pamphlets and info the Gyno gave me pretty much said the same thing about child birth "flushing out" bad cells. I've read it quite a bit online also. I'm in no way putting anything off i'm going on Doctors advice here, he doesn't think it is too serious. Most abnormal pap's he said don't lead to anything serious for around 5-10 years and as this was the first abnormal one 7 months ago I doubt i'm going to die anytime soon. I can't keep waiting around, i'm 33 and hubby is 35 so we need to get going!