+ Reply to Thread
    babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Refugee Boats

I wanted to start a conversation regarding refugees, specifically those arriving by boat. I want this to respectful and thought provoking. please do not turn it into a slanging match.
    i don't want people to bring their misinformation and prejudice.
    I am usually as left wing as they come. I am all for refugees coming here. I welcome them with open arms. These people have fled atrocities and a life that i could only imagine in my nightmares, and i am more than happy to share my country with them. After all who am i to say who can and cant come here. I am 5th generation Australia but my family still immigrated here.
    The news of another boat going down in the last few days has really shaken me and i wonder what can be done if anything to stop the deaths. I have been thinking about this a lot and i am at a loss. It is heartbreaking.

oh, and please please don't use the term illegal refugee.
    Last edited by babycake; 10-06-2013 at 14:29.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babycake View Post
    I wanted to start a conversation regarding refugees, specifically those arriving by boat. I want this to respectful and thought provoking. please do not turn it into a slanging match.
    i don't want people to bring there misinformation and prejudice.
    I am usually as left wing as they come. I am all for refugees coming here. I welcome them with open arms. These people have fled atrocities and a life that i could only imagine in my nightmares, and i am more than happy to share my country with them. After all who am i to say who can and cant come here. I am 5th generation Australia but my family still immigrated here.
    The news of another boat going down in the last few days has really shaken me and i wonder what can be done if anything to stop the deaths. I have been thinking about this a lot and i am at a loss. It is heartbreaking.

oh, and please please don't use the term illegal refugee.
    I am sure more brilliant minds than mine have tried and failed to come up with a compassionate answer to this problem.

Perhaps if the Australian government had some kind of scheme where we provided passage to people who would then be accommodated in on-shore accommodation where they could avail themselves of health care, legal services, children would be educated in the community and the refugees would not be detained because they would have access to the community and the accommodations would be a *half way house* if you like whilst visa issues are attended to. Unfortunately this would create a whole lot of other problems, such as creating a queue, and I don't know the right way around that.

Ultimately, I think the only way to stop the boats would be to de-value the *services* offered by people smugglers. Lets drive them out of business so that they are not capitalising on peoples misery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I am sure more brilliant minds than mine have tried and failed to come up with a compassionate answer to this problem.

Perhaps if the Australian government had some kind of scheme where we provided passage to people who would then be accommodated in on-shore accommodation where they could avail themselves of health care, legal services, children would be educated in the community and the refugees would not be detained because they would have access to the community and the accommodations would be a *half way house* if you like whilst visa issues are attended to. Unfortunately this would create a whole lot of other problems, such as creating a queue, and I don't know the right way around that.

Ultimately, I think the only way to stop the boats would be to de-value the *services* offered by people smugglers. Lets drive them out of business so that they are not capitalising on peoples misery.
    Isn't that basically what happens with refugee camps around the world? You wait, and wait and wait until you're granted refuge to a country and can then go there? I admit I am not knowledgeable about the process, that's just my basic understanding.

As for 'de-valuing' the people smuggling I completely agree with you there. But how? There are always going to be desperate people trying to escape and people willing to 'help', for a fee of course

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think this will stop when the asylum seeker plight is appropriately managed via official government/UN (and not backdoor people smuggler) means. If asylum seekers had confidence that if they stayed in UNHCR/refugee camps they would get asylum within a reasonable time they would be less likely to jump on rickety boats.

I think Labor had the right idea when, as part of the failed Malaysia solution, they agreed to take refugees from Malaysia who had been waiting in camps for years. Unfortunately that approach will only work if we take a decent number and if those who still choose to come by boat aren't granted automatic/fast tracked entry.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingchipmunk View Post
    Isn't that basically what happens with refugee camps around the world? You wait, and wait and wait until you're granted refuge to a country and can then go there? I admit I am not knowledgeable about the process, that's just my basic understanding.
    As I said, there are far more brilliant minds than mine failing at this.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babycake View Post
    I can't watch stories about things like this. It's just too traumatic. What a cr@ppy existence, you've managed to flee from terror in your country of origin but you and/or your family die trying to make it to a country where you've got considerably better options available to you and your children. That's just wrong and should never happen. Ever.

I can't suggest a realistic alternative though. The UN do relocations for refugees but my understanding is the chances of getting selected is about as likely as winning the lottery.

In regard to the people smugglers, I guess we could offer alternative solutions for refugees but I have no idea or suggestions on what they could be.

Until the world is rid of or at least diminishes the influence and power of tribalism, religion, poverty and the odd megalomaniac we will always have refugees.

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for your input. I have been discussing it with friends and family all weekend and it really is such a conundrum. It also makes me wonder how many other boats go missing that we dont even know about?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Until the world is rid of or at least diminishes the influence and power of tribalism, religion, poverty and the odd megalomaniac we will always have refugees.
    I think this hits the nail on the head. Refugees are symptomatic of other problems - war, poverty, education, government corruption. Those are the issues to be tackled. My hope is that, with international travel and globalisation, people in desperate situations will start to have access to better information, which will lead to upward pressure on their countries' leaders to make a change. (Sort of like what is slowly happening in North Korea at the moment).

Perhaps if this pressure from the people were coupled with direct pressure from developed countries (sanctions etc.) that would start to make inroads. But like others, I am really in no position to say that I know the answer (obviously, or I would have already fixed the world's problems!)

There are lots of great charities doing work in these areas - "Give Directly" in Kenya, "SHIFT" in North Korea just to name a couple. I think getting behind these groups is worthwhile and they all make a difference in their own way, which is more than I know how to do as one person.