+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default I'm 30, not 16!!!!!!

As the title states I'm 30 years old but I have a baby face and I'm only 5ft 1, so people always think I'm younger than I am.

my DH and I took our 15month old DD to the hairdressers today and she said, you look too young to be a mum, how old are you. I said I'm 30 and she said well you look 16!!

she went on to comment how she thought i could have passed as my DHs daughter! He's 35 and looks his age so of course took offence as I did.

it was more the act she voiced it, than the fact she thought it, but it reminded me of age prejudice and how much I hate it. I'm constantly not taken seriously at work and in other business transactions I'm involved in outside of work because I look young.

Does anyone else experience this (even if its the opposite - you look older than you are)? How do you deal with it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I look about mid-20's not the early 20's that I actually am. Works out well for me at work because I work as a midwife and people tend to give you funny looks when you tell them that you're 21 (despite the fact that I graduated a year ago!) - especially when some of the women I look after have kids older than me!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    This was me too at 30.
    i used to often get mistaken for dh's daughter even though he is only 2 years older than me. I used to think it was hilarious but I think dh used to get a little pi$$ed. I remember a plumber once called dh my "dad" but in all fairness I was wearing Winnie the Pooh pjs.

anyway... 2 kids in 14 months and a bout of PND must of robbed me of my youthfulness cause it doesn't happen to me anymore and I'm only 34 this year. I must finally look like an adult now.

Enjoy it while you can...

oh yeah... Forgot to add. I'm not short. A very average 165cms. So it was either my youthful good looks or my lack of maturity
    Last edited by RipperRita; 08-06-2013 at 21:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a teacher when I was 15 and she was short and looked young. She was the outdoor-ed teacher so we often left the school & went to places to do activities like kayaking/etc and had to meet the organisers there. They would look at us all in casual clothes and say "Where's the teacher?" cause of course she didn't stand out as being the teacher. I'm sure she hated it. But she did tell us a story of getting into the Zoo with her husband as a child (under 16) which she thought was pretty funny (not that I recommend trying that!) ... she was 30!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a salesman come to my door yesterday asking if my mum or dad was home.....meanwhile I am 30 years old and 23 weeks pregnant with a very obvious baby bump!!!

I just told him that my parents weren't here...I wasn't lying :-)

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to amazonbaby For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma (08-06-2013),DarcyJ (10-06-2013),Disbride (09-06-2013),Fifi8325 (09-06-2013),GabberQueeN83 (09-06-2013),HugsBunny (15-06-2013),mummtime101 (08-06-2013),Pilbara (08-06-2013),siennasyummymummyxxx (08-06-2013),steel magnolia (10-06-2013),~Marigold~ (08-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I get that all the time. Im tall but apparently look young in the face even though i feel I've aged 20 years since dd (2.5yrs)
    I'm 29 but have been mistaken for 19/20 several times. Sometimes I don't mind but when I'm being spoken to like a child and I know it's because the person thinks I'm really young it really annoys me. I like to drop in the fact that I am older and the responses are quite humorous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amazonbaby View Post
    I had a salesman come to my door yesterday asking if my mum or dad was home.....meanwhile I am 30 years old and 23 weeks pregnant with a very obvious baby bump!!!

I just told him that my parents weren't here...I wasn't lying :-)
    I had this happen to me as well the other day.....I'm 24 weeks pregnant to...... Stupid guy. Think it's a sales technique

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 5'1 too and and look a lot younger than almost 27. I've had the 'oh you can't be that age and of had a child, you look 16' comments from a stranger a few years ago and I was so shocked I laughed it off at the time. I think it's completely inappropriate and out of line. How rude of the hairdresser! If someone looked older than their age, there's no way you would ask their age then comment on it, so why do people feel the need to when it's reversed? I try to dress a bit more maturely, wear makeup and wear my hair in more mature styles and I've found this has helped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    UNtil i moved to the UK 3 yrs ago and got stressed and my skin got a little worse for wear and I put on weight i was always asked for ID in the bottle shop I was 27 and the kids selling the alcohol were about 18. The worst time was when I was about 25 at work an older male patient in his 80's said it was so cute that they gave the work experience students the hospital uniforms I said no it was mine i was working, he then went on to say its school holidays why are you doing study atm, I said no i really am out of school and I am the boss here today the Enrolled nurse I was with wouldn't say anything so I let the patient know I was her boss and told her to go and do something for me, she was cranky to be reminded that someone 30+ years younger was her boss but its not my fault I chose to work hard and go to Uni to earn those extra responsibilities she didn't want to have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 28, 5ft1, and look 16. I get so many stares when I am out with my 20 month old son and my gigantic baby bump. It didn't help when I worked in an area known for teen pregnancy and I was pregnant with my son. I got that look of "oh, another teenager got herself pregnant" a lot. I wanted to wear a shirt that said "I'm 26, married, own a house, have a steady job, and this baby was planned".
    Although it annoys me now, I take comfort in the fact that I will look 30 when I'm 50. My mum is 53 and could pass as my older sister, so I think I just inherited her good genes

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app