+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 243
  1. #231
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,272
    Thanks
    946
    Thanked
    1,022
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Would love to read the whole article and not just the first two paragraphs but I don't have an Australian subscription.

  2. #232
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orlyon View Post
    Australia is a signatory to the refugee convention, we are obliged to welcome asylum seekers and refugees. If you don't like it Father, if you think we are too 'full' why don't you take off and make some room.

    Zero tolerance for racism and bigotry.
    They are not all refugees.

    Are you accusing me of racism or bigotry?

  3. #233
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,272
    Thanks
    946
    Thanked
    1,022
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    They are not all refugees.
    How do you know? Regardless, didn't stats come out that 90% of boat arrivals are found to be genuine refugees. It has been found that it is more often those arriving by plane and from countries like China (seeking asylum) that are found to not be genuine.

  4. #234
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    How do you know? Regardless, didn't stats come out that 90% of boat arrivals are found to be genuine refugees. It has been found that it is more often those arriving by plane and from countries like China (seeking asylum) that are found to not be genuine.
    How do I know? You just said that 10% weren't.
    In regard to plane arrivals, that may be due to the fact they have identification papers, and their story is easier to invalidate as we actually know who they are.

  5. #235
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,272
    Thanks
    946
    Thanked
    1,022
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry, thought you were referring to the Somalis.

  6. #236
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh lord, hate it when people talk about things when they have NO idea what they are on about.

    Australia only grants 13750 humanitarian visas a year - that includes both on and offshore. It doesn't matter how many people come, that is the limit.

    See, you are safe father - there are no more refugees getting granted visas than there were before

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Boobycino  (18-06-2013),HollyGolightly81  (17-06-2013)

  8. #237
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So it is actually over 90% that are found genuine.

    The figure for the March quarter for genuine refugees who arrive by boat - 90.5 per cent - continues a long-term trend, with 93.5 per cent of those who arrived by boat being found to be refugees in 2010-11, and 91 per cent in 2011-12.

    Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...#ixzz2WRE3bZP0

  9. #238
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13,067
    Thanks
    9,846
    Thanked
    12,959
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Australia only grants 13750 humanitarian visas a year - that includes both on and offshore. It doesn't matter how many people come, that is the limit.
    :
    This is one thing Im not feeling comfortable with. Why should asylum seekers that have enough $$ to pay people smugglers get the visas? They are no more worthy that the poor people sitting in the refugee camps.

  10. #239
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,033
    Thanks
    1,422
    Thanked
    7,633
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    This is one thing Im not feeling comfortable with. Why should asylum seekers that have enough $$ to pay people smugglers get the visas? They are no more worthy that the poor people sitting in the refugee camps.
    If you had the money and were desperate to leave your country quickly, wouldn't you do it to save your child to give them the opportunity for a better life?

    Do you know what life is like in a refugee camp? Do you know how long people can be stuck in a camp for?

    http://millionsoulsaware.org/

    http://www.dosomething.org/tipsandto...about-refugees

    http://www.msf.org.au/resources/spec...ugee-camp.html

  11. #240
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    860
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked
    243
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Oh lord, hate it when people talk about things when they have NO idea what they are on about.

    Australia only grants 13750 humanitarian visas a year - that includes both on and offshore. It doesn't matter how many people come, that is the limit.

    See, you are safe father - there are no more refugees getting granted visas than there were before
    After the Houston review late last year the number was increased to 20,000. It's possible the liberals may decrease it when/if they get in, hopefully not.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Seeking others in the same boat!
    By luckybuba in forum Non-IVF fertility assistance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-07-2012, 22:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Maternity ClothesLooking to buy maternity clothes? :: Check the bubhub directory of local & online maternity clothes shops :: Find ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›