+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Have you taken your child to see a psychologist?

If so, what was the reason? Was it effective? What was involved?

I've just started studying psychology (and loving it, so interesting!) and am curious about working with children so thought it would be good to hear from parents who've had experience with their own kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, my DD is in the process of seeing one now because she is very studious and ambitious (a bit to much for a 8 yr old) and was stressing over assessments to the point we were worried she would hurt herself or one of her brothers when she had her meltdowns. I was ill when she went the first time so DH has been taking her and said he went in until DD felt comfortable enough for him to leave. Apparently they drew pictures and talked then the next time they played a game and chatted then they did a hand turkey of trust where they made a hand turkey and each feather she had to put down someone she can talk to. She has responded very well and now knows how to handle stress without the meltdowns

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD has been going for two years. She originally went to support her diagnoses of autism, odd, ocd, add etc.

Now we go to help me learn how to manage her behaviours and anxiety etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD went to one when she was 4 for anxiety. She was always highly strung and having meltdowns and worrying about seemingly benign issues, and had some fairly intense phobias. We took her for a while and it helped a bit, but the psychologist then thought that her issues weren't psychological and they were probably sensory. So we went to an OT where she was diagnosed with a sensory processing disorder (hypersensitive to tactile input) and we started doing therapy. She is pretty much 100% improved now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like it really makes a difference for people. Thanks for sharing your experiences.