+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Update: Found my midwives . Got my first appointment with my primary midwife next week.

Quote Originally Posted by PracticingPatience View Post
    Hi blotchedtabby! I was in the TTC thread with u and am also due in Jan 14!!. I am leaning towards a homebirth so have been reading everyone's comments with great interest. My mum I think will be very supportive but MIL not so much. I am thinking about just not telling them until after it happens!! Still need to have some big talks with DF as I think he is worried about safety aspects. I will be doing a lot of reading, love to hear others experiences good and bad too.
    So exciting! Have you joined the fb group?

DH is 100% with me on the homebirth so i don't have any suggestions. Will pm you the website for the midwives i'm using...they have some safety info and birth stories you might be interested in.

Not sure how supportive my parents or in-laws will be. My parents will probably think I'm silly but i can deal with that. Probably won't tell MIL as she stresses about everything and anything.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Blotched Tabby.

I've only just spotted this thread and you sound as though you're all organised now so I don't have much to add.

I won't repeat what you probably already know re tests and ultrasounds etc. you might want to go to a more home birth friendly GP if you don't want any kind of negative response, or just be vague

I'm also in Melbourne and am planning a home birth in September. Who did you decide to go with? Maybe you could pm me in case we are through the same midwives group

I have only told two friends that I plan to home birth, and no family as they will be so unsupportive and I really don't need that. I just say we have hired an independent midwife and plan on going to the Mercy :/

All the best!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to futuremamma For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (15-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by futuremamma View Post
    Hi Blotched Tabby.

I've only just spotted this thread and you sound as though you're all organised now so I don't have much to add.

I won't repeat what you probably already know re tests and ultrasounds etc. you might want to go to a more home birth friendly GP if you don't want any kind of negative response, or just be vague

I'm also in Melbourne and am planning a home birth in September. Who did you decide to go with? Maybe you could pm me in case we are through the same midwives group

I have only told two friends that I plan to home birth, and no family as they will be so unsupportive and I really don't need that. I just say we have hired an independent midwife and plan on going to the Mercy :/

All the best!
    Yeah, I've already had some trouble trying to get a GP to give me a referral to the midwives but that was mostly because the GP was not familiar with the process as its relatively new. My midwife recommended another GP near me who has given out referrals in the past so i'm going to see him on Friday! Definitely won't be mentioning the homebirth...will just ask for it for antenatal and postnatal care (which is really what the referral is actually for anyway)!

Unfortunately I think I will have to tell my Mum...but I think she will be the most understanding person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticingPatience View Post
    Hi blotchedtabby! I was in the TTC thread with u and am also due in Jan 14!!. I am leaning towards a homebirth so have been reading everyone's comments with great interest. My mum I think will be very supportive but MIL not so much. I am thinking about just not telling them until after it happens!! Still need to have some big talks with DF as I think he is worried about safety aspects. I will be doing a lot of reading, love to hear others experiences good and bad too.
    I had to convince my DP as well. It was only after he talked to a midwife and asked all the safety questions that he truly got on board and felt comfortable with it. Combine your own passion with your own research and a chance to talk to a midwife and he should hopefully come around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    The GP my midwife recommended was really on the ball. Gave me the referral straight away.

Thanks for all your help ladies...so relieved everything is sorted now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am planning a water birth at home in Melbourne - due to happen in the next few weeks!

My GP doesn't even know that I am pregnant . Before falling pregnant I asked him about a range of different birth options and he promptly handed me the obstetrician list for my local private hospital. My midwife works in conjunction with a GP/obstetrician and she arranged for me to go and see him at 25 weeks to get the formal referral to my midwife. My midwife has given me all the referrals for scans and blood tests as needed. I found my midwife through the Midwives in Private Practice website - made a shortlist of all the midwives practicing in my local area and visited a few until I found the one that clicked! Making these initial visits and having lots of conversations (even prior to being pregnant) gave me a lot of confidence in why I was pursuing home birth, and also gave my husband the information he needed to feel confident in my choice as well (he is pretty useless at reading books and initially had no idea why I was worried about the cascade of intervention).

As for telling people about your plans.... my mum is still quite terrified, but she can't deny all the facts that I have thrown at her! I actually took my mum to one of my midwife appointments and I think that has helped as she has seen how cautious my midwife is and been exposed to lots of positive birth stories. I have also done a huge amount of reading and feel really confident to explain why I believe home birth is the best and safest option for both me and my baby. While some people have make comments like "you're really brave", I just ask them why they think that and tell them that I think people are brave going to a hospital and explain why I think that. I have been amazed how open people have actually been to the idea when I have given them a bit more information.

Compared to stories from my friends, I am already so happy with the care and support that I have been provided by our midwife. And there is going to be one big party at our house when our little man arrives!!! Can't wait

8. The Following User Says Thank You to four legged mummy For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (19-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just crashing in to say I'm excited that there are two due in Jan ladies in here! I'm hoping for a HBAC (due Jan 1st) but have to get my partner totally on board (I've been working on it for 2 years now and have finally got him down to only being worried about the price).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kadorite For This Useful Post:

Monster & Boof  (16-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not that I'm pregnant or planning on home birthing but both Casey Hospital and Sunshine have a home birth program that is free and all scans etc are covered by Medicare. You are allocated 2 midwives who do all your care (hope this helps)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check out Midwives Naturally or Eastside Midwives for recommendations of IMs. While its true Casey & Sunshine hospitals now run home birth programs, if you have any pregnancy complications or have had a Caesarian before you will not meet the entry criteria.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    The Northern also have a homebirth back-up program too but my midwife actually recommended against go through there...and I'm inclined to agree with her reasoning. Don't think the Northern actually sends out midwives though. A lot of the reasons women choose a homebirth is to avoid the intervention that occurs in a hospital setting or even with homebirth program run through a hospital.