+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When the fat is taken off the whole milk the sugar is more concentrated without the fat which is why low fat varieties seem to have slightly more sugar

Thanks
    Reviews
    There was a recent study published about the types of milk given to children and weight gain:

http://www.australasianscience.com.a...ight-gain.html

"...those who regularly drank skimmed/semi-skimmed milk who were not overweight or obese at the age of 2 were 57% more likely to become so by the age of 4."

(The original study is here:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23508869 )

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1234Guest For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (10-05-2013),Elijahs Mum  (10-05-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (10-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    This is interesting reading. I have dd2 full cream for a couple months and now give her low fat. Not for any other reason than it is convenient and someone from my mothers group said she was told by medical professional that it didn't really matter these days because they get enough of the fats from the modern diet. I can't physically handle full cream and only just able to handle low fat in small amounts so I usually only buy low fat for the house. Dd2 didn't seem too bothered by it.

Maybe I should put her back on full cream. she is 16 months.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kj2010 View Post
    There was a recent study published about the types of milk given to children and weight gain:

http://www.australasianscience.com.a...ight-gain.html

"...those who regularly drank skimmed/semi-skimmed milk who were not overweight or obese at the age of 2 were 57% more likely to become so by the age of 4."

(The original study is here:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23508869 )
    I have seen that study referenced elsewhere too. Thanks for the link. I think it's good that people are reevaluating the notion that it is fat which makes us fat.

I know I used to eat low fat everything and it was almost impossible to lose weight. Since I added saturated fat, and drastically reduced refined sugar and poly unsaturated fats I lost weight very easily and have maintained it too. Oh, and I still eat carbs, just not refined sugar.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (10-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    This is interesting reading. I have dd2 full cream for a couple months and now give her low fat. Not for any other reason than it is convenient and someone from my mothers group said she was told by medical professional that it didn't really matter these days because they get enough of the fats from the modern diet. I can't physically handle full cream and only just able to handle low fat in small amounts so I usually only buy low fat for the house. Dd2 didn't seem too bothered by it.

Maybe I should put her back on full cream. she is 16 months.

I would definitely give her full cream at her age. The fats that are prevalent in the modern diet are (IMO) not the good stuff. I'm talking about polyunsaturated fats or PUFAs to save typing!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (10-05-2013),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (10-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    I would definitely give her full cream at her age. The fats that are prevalent in the modern diet are (IMO) not the good stuff. I'm talking about polyunsaturated fats or PUFAs to save typing!
    That's what I originally thought as well. Dd1 was on full cream for ages. long story short, she convinced me full cream wasn't necessary. I might try dd2 on full cream again. Hopefully she won't get my reaction to it.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you can't tolerate full cream, how do you find butter (as in plain butter, not the spreadable stuff because it's full of other stuff)? If my child, or myself, couldn't tolerate full cream I'd make sure we got plenty of plain butter. Obviously butter started out as cream from milk so it's a good way of making sure you are getting those fat soluble vitamins.

I'm a bit distracted so I hope I'm making sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I switched from margarine to butter a couple months ago because of something I heard.

I suspect I am lactose intolerant because I get the obvious reaction everytime I have a coffee, milkshake or cereal etc which is everyday. Its just a lot worse when I have full cream and cream. I never paid much attention to butter itself.

Going by dd2 nappies I think she might get the same problem come to think of it.

Edit: I don't actually have milkshakes everyday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When and if my boys become overweight I will change to low fat milk etc but for now they have full cream. In moderation is fine. I did read somewhere recently that up to 2yrs kids should have full cream milk then they can have low fat milk.

Margarines are full of the bad fats. Real butter is best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am quite concerned about the saturated fats in full fat milk. I think even if a person is not obese, he or she may end up having heart problem. My parents are quite slim but both of them have high cholesterol and that is due to saturated fats so I guess this issue will have high chance of running in my family. And they dont even drink milk most of their lives.

Also, a lot of food out there that we are eating including eg Arn*tts' biscuits etc have transfats/saturated fats in them due to the palm oil (usually indicated as vegetable oil) used in them and I reckon lots of children consume these products. I know my DS does on and off. So there are a lot of saturated fats (palm oil is used in many many products) elsewhere taken by us if not from full milk.

I would just love to take the calcium and protein in the milk and I think kids do need them.

Oh we do take butter as a spread as well as for baking.