+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    976
    Thanks
    262
    Thanked
    298
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default is this insensitive - comment from MCHN

    This is my second post regarding comments by others regarding my c section. I am working through my issues around the fact my birth was not quite what I had planned throughout my pregnancy and now my focus is just my beautiful bub.

    I haven't dwelled on this one because frankly I am too busy but i thought this was an odd conversation as part of a presentation at my first mothers' group.

    MCHN - hands up if you had a c section.

    2 hands out of 10 go up.

    MCHN- oh only 2, well that is so great because we know the c section rates can be much higher.


    I thought that comment was odd. Or maybe it's just me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    788
    Thanked
    1,847
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    no, just factual.

    C section rates are increasing...and it was just an observation.

    In my mothers group, i was the only one out of 8 that had had a natural birth!

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

    jellybeanicecream  (01-05-2013),Maybelline  (01-05-2013),TimeForWine  (01-05-2013)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,546
    Thanks
    919
    Thanked
    1,250
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acerbaby View Post
    This is my second post regarding comments by others regarding my c section. I am working through my issues around the fact my birth was not quite what I had planned throughout my pregnancy and now my focus is just my beautiful bub.

    I haven't dwelled on this one because frankly I am too busy but i thought this was an odd conversation as part of a presentation at my first mothers' group.

    MCHN - hands up if you had a c section.

    2 hands out of 10 go up.

    MCHN- oh only 2, well that is so great because we know the c section rates can be much higher.


    I thought that comment was odd. Or maybe it's just me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Aww hugs, I'm sorry things didn't go the way you expected! I think it's tricky because I'm sure she wasn't making any kind of comment on any one persons C section, more a general observation based on the issue of disproportionately high rates as a whole which are kind of scary, but if that 1 in 10 happens to be you it would feel a little rude and confrontational I think!

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,479
    Thanks
    633
    Thanked
    795
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't worry. C-sections are going up because there is more technology to show complications. I had an emergency Caesar and if I didn't I would have died. Im so greatful in the advances in medicine. There may be a rise in Caesars but there is a decrease in deaths at birth. Anyone who judges you has no understanding of everything you go through. A friend judged my process because I didn't have skin to skin right away, she had no idea how lucky I was to hold my baby in my arms. I wouldn't change it for anything.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

    callmedragon22  (01-05-2013),jellybeanicecream  (01-05-2013)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,650
    Thanks
    1,340
    Thanked
    2,620
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not rude to me.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mackay
    Posts
    1,346
    Thanks
    620
    Thanked
    455
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Nope not rude but I understand that it is a sensitive issue for you and that it could make you feel as though it is
    This is basically what I was going to say.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked
    601
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    But to say "great"? I think that's out of line. It's not always by choice, I had a C-section not by choice and the guilt after that I couldn't deliver my baby naturally was intense. Try not to let it get to you - although that's easier said than done.

  10. #8
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think her implication was rude, insensitive and unprofessional.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,248
    Thanks
    489
    Thanked
    1,263
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    Aww hugs, I'm sorry things didn't go the way you expected! I think it's tricky because I'm sure she wasn't making any kind of comment on any one persons C section, more a general observation based on the issue of disproportionately high rates as a whole which are kind of scary, but if that 1 in 10 happens to be you it would feel a little rude and confrontational I think!
    I also think this was the sort of general observation that she was making, not an attack on anyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
    But to say "great"? I think that's out of line. It's not always by choice, I had a C-section not by choice and the guilt after that I couldn't deliver my baby naturally was intense. Try not to let it get to you - although that's easier said than done.

    Whilst great wouldn't have been my first choice of words, I don't think she meant its "great" that 8 women "chose" a vaginal birth, but more that it's great that for this group there was a 20% Caesar rate (for whatever reasons) which is less than the national rate. More a comment on society, but definitely not a comment on individuals.

    im pretty bad at explaining myself......

    edit: to try and help myself lol, I work on a busy birth suite. I would describe a shift where there is no emergency Caesar as "that's great, no one needed a Caesar". It's not a reflection on the individual women currently in birth suite, just a thank you birth suite gods for keeping it normal for the last 8 hours. The same way you'd say it's "great" that hasn't rained for a week!
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 01-05-2013 at 12:58.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

    Annabella  (01-05-2013),Jellyfishie  (01-05-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (01-05-2013)

  13. #10
    lambjam's Avatar
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    2,062
    Thanked
    4,956
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    While I'm sure she didn't intend it, using the word "great" implies that a higher number would have been disappointing, hence that caesarean births are inferior in some way.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-12-2012, 20:25
  2. Need advice for a friend, mchn has told her demand feeding will hurt bub.
    By LoveLivesHere in forum Bottlefeeding Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 09:22
  3. Insensitive Men!
    By Tildy in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-05-2012, 19:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
L'il Aussie Prems FoundationAn Australian charity supporting families of premature babies & children. The charity assists families who are at ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
IVF babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017pregnancy and babies through IVF
Dr Antony Lighten - Appreciation threadpregnancy and babies through IVF
Situations - ok or not ok?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
A - Z of baby girl namesGames & fun stuff
April/May TTC group chatConception & Fertility General Chat
ConfusedConception & Fertility General Chat
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›