+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default blighted ovum - speed up the awful process?

I had a scan today at 7 weeks and Dr found an empty amniotic sac. tomorrow will confirm whether its a blighted ovum or not but its looking that way.

I'm devastated! But right now I just want it out of me! Does anyone know any ways to bring on miscarriage naturally? I don't want to have a d&c and I just want it gone so I can move on. I feel like I'm being heartless wanting to forget about it but maybe that's natural?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cdlion, I'm so sorry for your loss, big hugs to you. I've had 2 BO pregnancies and they are very sad.

You could ask your care provider about misoprostol which are tablets which will bring a miscarriage on (medical management rather than surgical).If you are in a major city the big women's hospitals usually have a protocol for medical management of miscarriage and will admit you for the process.

Hope it is resolved swiftly for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cdlion View Post
    I'm devastated! But right now I just want it out of me! Does anyone know any ways to bring on miscarriage naturally? I don't want to have a d&c and I just want it gone so I can move on. I feel like I'm being heartless wanting to forget about it but maybe that's natural?
    I don't think it's heartless to feel the way you do.
    I have never experienced this so could be way off but it's like the thing you wanted so much is gone, you know it's gone but it's still not over. You can't be excited anymore about something you were so excited about and there is nothing to look forward to anymore.
    It's over but it's not and that would be so hard to deal with and you can't move on until it's completely over and done with.

I hope you get the help you're after so you can move on and feel better x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've not experienced blighted ovum but just wanted to say sorry for your loss.

Everyone deals with loss differently so no, you are not heartless... It's just your way of dealing...

Hope you can sort this out ASAP!

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there. I've been through this and ended up having a d&c. I think it's a personal choice- beforehand I swore I'd never have a d&c and would miscarry naturally however the emotional toll of waiting to miscarry was too much for me.

I just want to say, I had three scans, each a week apart before having my d&c to confirm the pregnancy was definitely lost. Although it was a long process I needed to know it was definitely not going ahead. If I were you I would have a scan in a week rather than a day apart. I read quite a few miracle stories in the lead up to my d&c that gave me hope. Unfortunately I didn't have a miracle but I wouldn't jump into having a d&c just yet. Please make sure there's no way you could have ovulated late and be earlier than you think you are, or something like that. Best of luck to you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colbie For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (30-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, I meant not jumping into a d&c, and/or the tablets to make you miscarry etc. I actually had both by the way, I has to take the tablets to open my cervix before my d&c as it was tightly closed with no bleeding.

Please pm me if you want to ask anything else xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't feel bad for feeling the way you do - it is perfectly normal, not heartless at all!

I had a blighted ovum last year, so can sympathise. At the time, it felt like the universe was playing some horrible joke, and I just wanted it to be over and finished with so I could move on, and try to stop some of the hurt I was feeling.

I agree with what a PP said - don't rush in, it's probably worth waiting a week and checking again, just to be sure. Sometimes the unexpected happens and it turns out to be okay, but unfortunately not often.

The length of time between making the awful discovery and actually miscarrying can be really varied and is hard to predict. I had my first scan and found out the news at 9 weeks and started bleeding lightly the following day. A week later I was still bleeding lightly but nothing much had moved - it was over 5 weeks since the pregnancy had ceased to progress, but it still hadn't ended, so I opted for a D&C. In hindsight, I think I possibly should have waited longer, but I was scared, upset and overwrought.

Then again, in complete contrast, some people whose stories I've read have had a period of only a few days from finding out to actually naturally miscarrying.

I'm sorry that I'm not much help with natural ways of helping the M/C to start. About the only thing that I've heard is that castor oil might induce it (much like it induces labour if you're full term).

I hope that you turn out to be one of the happy stories where the scan was wrong, but if not, lots of hugs. Don't feel alone - you're not! There are lots of us who understand and empathise and are thinking of you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a blighted ovum with my first pregnancy. Despite strong hormone levels, appropriately rising HcG I just knew something was off.
    I had it diagnosed at 7 weeks but they said I probably just had my dates wrong ;(measured 5+4) I knew it was a BO though as there was no yolk sac.

I had to wait until the sac measured 2.5cm before they would go a D&C and then I got the flu so was around 11 weeks by the time I had the D&C. Each scan showed the same empty sac.

I chose NOT to go the misoprostal route as it carried a 1 in 5 chance of needing a D&C any way plus I was showing no signs of naturally miscarrying. My sac was "perfect" the drs kept commenting so my body just wasn't recognizing it as a non viable pregnancy.

I felt like a total failure and a bit of a fake pregnant woman. Let yourself grieve for the loss of the pregnsncy. In your mind it was a baby, doesn't matter it didn't make it past conception I felt I was grieving for the loss of innocence more than anything.

My D&C experience was positive and I conceived the next cycle before AF returned. I'm currently nearly 39 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby girl waiting for her arrival !

Goodluck and be prepared to feel pretty terrible emotionally after the miscarriage or D&C the huge hormone crash made me feel so depressed for a good few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your support ladies. I've got an appt this morning to check hormone levels but I've given up. The stories of people having misdiagnosed BO's are great but to be honest I just want this over with. I can't handle holding any false hope I don't think. I'll see what OB says and let you all know.
    The reason why I'm so terrified of a d&c is because I'm living in a foreign country and can't speak the language! I've found an English speaking OB but would have to go into hospital for the procedure I can imagine, where no one speaks English. I think I'd rather pay 2 grand for a plane ticket and come home...

Thanks
    Reviews
    The latest is that it looks like I'll need a d&c at the end of the week. I'm feeling ok about it. I just want this to be over now. Thanks again for all your support ladies xo