Closed Thread
Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 579
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,478
    Thanks
    179
    Thanked
    784
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinSparkles View Post
    How is aborting based on the sex of the foetus at 19/20 weeks different to aborting at 19/20 weeks because someone decides they aren't ready for a child?
    This is probably not a very good thread for me because I am against LATE terminations at the 19/20 week mark UNLESS of course for medical reasons.

    Terminating based on the presence or absence of a certain sex is different because it implies that the person would have continued with the pregnancy if the baby had of been the sex they wanted. Terminating at 20 weeks because the person is not ready implies that they would have done so regardless of whether the baby was a boy or girl.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

    Kirst33  (28-04-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (28-04-2013),mrsoptomistic  (28-04-2013),sandy cheeks  (28-04-2013)

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,478
    Thanks
    179
    Thanked
    784
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Being pro-choice means you support the right for every woman to make this choice for herself.
    I must be selectively pro-choice then

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

    mrsoptomistic  (28-04-2013),TimeForWine  (29-04-2013),VanityFey  (29-04-2013)

  5. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,236
    Thanks
    3,833
    Thanked
    2,234
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I could never get my head around a late term abortion - except for medical reasons.

    It's a sad world we live in that anybody could abort a baby simply because it's the wrong gender.

    Just wow.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

    Cinderella82  (28-04-2013),VanityFey  (29-04-2013),waterlily  (28-04-2013)

  7. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    3,787
    Thanks
    1,494
    Thanked
    1,195
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    These people shouldn't be allowed to have children if they can't be happy with the sex of the child. I am a proud mum to 4 daughters who's to say this wont happen to them and they only have daughters? Will they continue terminating on these grounds? Disgusting!

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

    mrsoptomistic  (28-04-2013)

  9. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,053
    Thanks
    6,263
    Thanked
    5,481
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    First of all, having struggled with gender disappointment myself, I feel for people going through it - its not something easily explained and unless you've felt it, it's incredibly hard to understand.

    That being said, I do NOT agree with terminating a pregnancy based on gender. I just cant wrap my head around it. We didbt start TTC #3 until I knew that I would be ok with the chance of a 3rd boy. I couldn't even contemplate termination for this reason... it seems utterly selfish and to be honest it disgusts me

    Like I said I do understand gender disappointment but I cant agree with this course of action

    Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

    Nmgb  (28-04-2013),VanityFey  (29-04-2013),yvona  (28-04-2013)

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,525
    Thanks
    1,890
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I an pro-choice. The problem I have when it comes to abortion is balanging this against the rights of the baby/foetus, and at what point the baby/foetus maintains the right to bodily autonomy/life.


    For me personally (and yes I have a medical science degree) I feel it is after the brain and spinal cord have developed (8-12 weeks). For others it is after the point at which a baby can survive on it's own outside the mothers body (24+ weeks). For others still the baby has no rights until outside them others body (birth).


    Therefore, I am against (routine) abortion after 12 weeks and think that the baby has rights that ought to be considered after this point. Gender, as a reason for abortion after twelve weeks should not even be considered IMO.


    However I do think it should always be available on a case-by-case basis for other health/serious issues after twelve weeks.

  12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

    Mokeybear  (28-04-2013),Rutabaga  (28-04-2013),snowqu33n  (28-04-2013),VanityFey  (29-04-2013),wannawannabe  (28-04-2013)

  13. #27
    rainbow road's Avatar
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    in a glass case of emotion
    Posts
    12,445
    Thanks
    1,195
    Thanked
    8,103
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Disgusting.

    Everyone knows there's a 50% chance of either sex. If you're not prepared for the one you don't want, don't get pregnant.

  14. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

    Boobycino  (29-04-2013),Cazza1981  (29-04-2013),delirium  (28-04-2013),jagamoe  (29-04-2013),Kirst33  (28-04-2013),Lauzy83  (28-04-2013),mrsoptomistic  (28-04-2013),oozzle  (28-04-2013),risfaerie  (28-04-2013),SoThisIsLove  (29-04-2013),Tainted  (28-04-2013),thepouts  (28-04-2013),TimeForWine  (29-04-2013),yvona  (28-04-2013)

  15. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,292
    Thanks
    409
    Thanked
    752
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post

    For me personally (and yes I have a medical science degree) I feel it is after the brain and spinal cord have developed (8-12 weeks). For others it is after the point at which a baby can survive on it's own outside the mothers body (24+ weeks). For others still the baby has no rights until outside them others body (birth).
    Not to forget of course that there are also those of us who believe that life begins at CONCEPTION. For me, termination on the grounds of gender is the same as on any other grounds including 'medical' or 'genetic'. These are all just semantics, what the person is saying is 'I believe the life of x has more value than the life of y'.
    I think it is morally reprehensible. The cost to the soul of those involved in the decision is immeasurable.

    Not a popular opinion on BH I know and I would never be so insensitive as to post this in a thread in a different section or without a trigger warning.

  16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

    Annabella  (28-04-2013),CazHazKidz  (29-04-2013),Cazza1981  (29-04-2013),Cinderella82  (28-04-2013),Ellewood  (28-04-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (28-04-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-04-2013),SoThisIsLove  (29-04-2013),TheMadHatter  (29-04-2013),yvona  (28-04-2013)

  17. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13,067
    Thanks
    9,846
    Thanked
    12,959
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    I think it would be 0.0001% of the population, not an everyday thing. But I must admit I do hope any couples that do this suffer infertility and are unable to fall pregnant again. Or if they get the boy they want he is girlie and gay.

  18. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bribie
    Posts
    1,374
    Thanks
    254
    Thanked
    308
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Being pro-choice means you support the right for every woman to make this choice for herself. That doesn't, however, mean you have to agree with every reason that someone has for abortion... and this is one of those reasons that doesn't at all sit well with me.

    I disagree with medical gender selection (microsort, etc) for the same reasons.

    All a bit too Gattaca for me.
    ^this.
    Last edited by becandabub; 28-04-2013 at 13:32.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Curious about gender selection
    By Lozie in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-01-2014, 09:21
  2. Xanax + alcohol *possibly distressing*
    By AndrewTheEmu in forum Battling addiction?
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 20:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Cryosite Family Cord Blood & Tissue BankCryosite has been providing Cord Blood Banking services for over 14 years, and is the trusted choice of Australian ...
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›