+ Reply to Thread
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default growth charts, percentiles etc

what's the point of them? i mean i guess if a bub is going through failure to thrive i could understand the needing to monitor but apart from that...what?

i dunno..

like... my DD was born 3kg and 5 months she is 7.3kg

she started out on these charts at 25th percentile and is now 75th...but its the exact same for height, so she doesnt look like a roley poley bub

andddd the nurse made a comment about it saying bub has turned into a 'big girl'

are they meant to just cruise along the same percentage?

i said "welllllll... other than her recent growth spurt, DD actually drinks quite a bit LESS than what the whole (150ml x weight divide by number of feeds a day) formula says! so...what am i supposed to say to you?"

next time im just gonna refuse her being weighed and measured unless there is some need for it that i dont know about?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ahh zombie.... I feel your frustration. My dd doesn't even make it on the growth chart anymore! She's so little... But she gains weight etc so I don't care about them.
    Honestly I think they are for a type of average comparison as a marker for slow growth problems etc... Like my dd has. Otherwise, I reckon it would chop and change.
    Eg when I was born I was also teeny tiny...I was teeny tiny all the way through school. I don't think I would've fared well on the charts. And as a teacher, the kiddies in the my classes all vary in height, weight etc.... So I kinda think they are a bit silly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think there's any need for it unless they have a medical condition, I have had my son weighed and measured monthly since he was born sometimes out of pure curiosity to see where he sits on the chart but for the last year it's been because of an until recently Undiagnosed medical condition so we had to keep an eye on his growth. He has been all over the charts at various stages of his 2yrs he now sits comfotably well above the 97th for height and on the 97th for weight his head has always been right on the 50th though. His chart looks like a bloody roller coaster he started off on the 50th for everything and has dropped as low as the 25th and had massive growth spurts putting him over the 97th.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree, aside from medical reasons etc I don't see the point. I wouldn't have a clue where DD is on the charts, we only saw an MCHN once when she was 2 weeks old. The nurse was perfectly nice but I just didn't see the point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think they are fine as a guide, but what always irked me when DD was an infant was that they didn't take into account genetics.

DD was born smack bang on 50th percentile for both length and weight (although I suspect her length was under measured) but she then became long and skinny. Like DH and I are naturally.

Some CHNs would get quite fussed by this given her birth stats. Yet she was clearly thriving and it was genetics kicking in.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (23-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD wasn't even close to being on the chart, about an inch over the top for weight and a bit over for height. No one was bothered by it, so I too wondered what the point was of those lines.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks everyone.

Just as a i thought.

Braiiiiins
    *60kilos lost*

Thanks
    Reviews
    They definitely don't need to stick the percentiles of birth, but a lot of kids will settle into a percentile in the first few months of life and generally stick to that unless they get sick or something. Having said that my dd has been around the 97th percentile for weight & height since birth and she is now 19 months old . And to be technical the 75th percentile is bigger than the 50th percentile so I suppose you could call her big, but it doesn't mean that's a negative thing .

As for weigh in's, they are useful to have an idea of your baby's weight for car seats and medication dosage .