+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    1,914
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked
    1,503
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It does seem scary to have such small people vaccinated with (in some cases) the same dosage as much bigger people get! But here's something that might alter your view on "too young":

    My DD was 2 months old (actual) and still 32 weeks gestation (corrected) and in the NICU when she had her 8 week vax, she weighed about 3lb and had been having siezures when she was a couple of weeks old, she was absolutely fine.

    She is now almost 11 months (actual) and about the size of an average 4 month old, had the flu vax a couple of weeks ago and was fine :-)

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    835
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked
    99
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DH paid $17 for the flu vac and no appt charge at our doctor

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    22,171
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    1,896
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I was offered the vax through work as i work with the elderly but i declined as if i got it, DS should get it and i have heard its unsafe for children under 5. DS is 5 but i dont what the difference is from under 5 to a little closer to 6. If it isnt safe for under 5's, why would it be safe for my almost 6yr old?

    Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,220
    Thanks
    1,254
    Thanked
    1,085
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My GP also made the statement that healthy children can die from the flu vacc (as happened last yr)...hence another reason why he didn't want to vax my kids as they are generally healthy. Such a hard decision!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,804
    Thanks
    7,291
    Thanked
    9,742
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    I was offered the vax through work as i work with the elderly but i declined as if i got it, DS should get it and i have heard its unsafe for children under 5. DS is 5 but i dont what the difference is from under 5 to a little closer to 6. If it isnt safe for under 5's, why would it be safe for my almost 6yr old?

    Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I think it's only one brand that's not recommended for under 5s.

    What do you mean you declined because if you got it your DS should get it? Why should he get it just because you do? Am I reading that right?
    We are getting it ( DH and I) so that there is less chance we will get the flu and pass it on to the baby.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked
    19
    Reviews
    0
    Decision is so hard I feel my babies are just too young - might stay inside all winter

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I am a pro vaxxer to the core, but our GP doesn't recommend it for kids under 5 unless they have underlying conditions like asthma.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,292
    Thanks
    409
    Thanked
    752
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Atropos is right, there is one brand which is not recommended for children under five, but there are four other brands available, your GP would be able to select the right one for each patient.
    I just got mine last week (free as I'm pregnant). At my GP clinic they vaccinated 800 people in the first fortnight it was available, pretty amazing hey!

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (22-04-2013)

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,804
    Thanks
    7,291
    Thanked
    9,742
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    Atropos is right, there is one brand which is not recommended for children under five, but there are four other brands available, your GP would be able to select the right one for each patient.
    I just got mine last week (free as I'm pregnant). At my GP clinic they vaccinated 800 people in the first fortnight it was available, pretty amazing hey!
    Ah, thought so, thank you

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    22,171
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    1,896
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I think it's only one brand that's not recommended for under 5s.

    What do you mean you declined because if you got it your DS should get it? Why should he get it just because you do? Am I reading that right?
    We are getting it ( DH and I) so that there is less chance we will get the flu and pass it on to the baby.
    You read that correct, i wont vax him with it unless it was an absolute dire need and i recieved the vax myself. We all have our own beliefs and choices and thats mine to make.

    Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app


 

Similar Threads

  1. Vaccination reminder app
    By JR03 in forum Immunisation & Vaccines
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2013, 11:18
  2. vaccination info
    By monnie24 in forum Pro-Vaccination
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-03-2013, 06:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
ProSwimProSwim runs learn to swim classes for babies, children and adults. Our indoor centre in Plympton Park has lessons all ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
House clothes/cleaning clothesGeneral Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Noble NovemberConception & Fertility General Chat
Delightful DecemberConception & Fertility General Chat
Embryo qualityIVF Newbies - What you want to know
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›