+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,668
    Thanks
    2,809
    Thanked
    915
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    OP, just in case you didn't know, you can opt out of her doing NAPLAN. I'd seriously look at it if it was causing that much grief.
    I found this out today. I am strongly considering it!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked
    124
    Reviews
    0
    I'm a teacher. I hate NAPLAN. It's a waste IMO as results don't come back until they are virtually irrelevant. If my child was that stressed about it though, I think I'd make sure they did sit the test to begin to cope in such situations and also to see how little how they perform in it means. Unless VCE changes they eventually will need to sit some exams I guess so learning to deal with these situations may be all she gets out if it if the teacher is pumping it up so much id think that even after withdrawing your child from the actual test she'd still need to sit through the practice lessons? I'd also be reporting back to the school how unnecessarily stressed your daughter is from the added emphasis the school places on the test (ie it's the school, pressure and discussion making the situation stressful-not really the test IYKWIM?).
    I hope you DD has a relaxing weekend poor thing.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,687
    Thanks
    1,089
    Thanked
    4,057
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tootsiegirl View Post
    I'm a teacher. I hate NAPLAN. It's a waste IMO as results don't come back until they are virtually irrelevant. If my child was that stressed about it though, I think I'd make sure they did sit the test to begin to cope in such situations and also to see how little how they perform in it means. Unless VCE changes they eventually will need to sit some exams I guess so learning to deal with these situations may be all she gets out if it if the teacher is pumping it up so much id think that even after withdrawing your child from the actual test she'd still need to sit through the practice lessons? I'd also be reporting back to the school how unnecessarily stressed your daughter is from the added emphasis the school places on the test (ie it's the school, pressure and discussion making the situation stressful-not really the test IYKWIM?).
    I hope you DD has a relaxing weekend poor thing.
    I don't feel 7yos are equipped to deal with that kind of pressure.

    I'm not sure what VCE is, but I'm assuming it's not a primary school thing.

    There are plenty of opportunities for our kids to learn to deal with exams and the possible pressure they can create once they are more mature.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

    Chunkydunks  (19-04-2013),delirium  (19-04-2013)

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked
    124
    Reviews
    0
    I don't believe any child should need to cope with the pressure these schools are putting on the test performance and results (very much my point that the stress is coming from how the test is presented to the children). But I disagree that they don't have the coping skills or the ability to begin to build them for a test situation. I worry too that by withdrawing children from it, the message is sent that that is how to deal with new situations and they either expect to be withdrawn again in 2 years time when they are 11 (NAPLAN is sat for most children at ages 8-9 10-11 in primary school I believe) or double the panic as they haven't yet experienced the situation and are going in cold.

    I think the op is in an awful situation with this though as because the school has already built this pressure I'm not sure the 'damage' could be undone before the test at this point. It would be great if she sat it and was able to experience the pride in her coping skills however I can see that it could also go the opposite way and she'll stress and panic that she hasn't performed as well as she could...toughie.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    145
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    17
    Reviews
    0
    My daughter is in ye three and started to get a little stressed about Naplan, but she seems better after we had a chat about it and I explained tat it was the school and governments way to make sure the teachers are teaching them properly!

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to mapalesa For This Useful Post:

    Mahjong  (20-04-2013)

  8. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,070
    Thanks
    6,305
    Thanked
    17,339
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    VCE is Vic HSC, so 18 yos....

  9. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked
    124
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mapalesa View Post
    My daughter is in ye three and started to get a little stressed about Naplan, but she seems better after we had a chat about it and I explained tat it was the school and governments way to make sure the teachers are teaching them properly!
    That is a really good idea! The Kids in my class always feel better about mistakes in their writing etc. When I explain that it simply tells me what I need to teach next. They'd love to hear that I get tested on how I teach them so I'm stealing that one if that's ok

  10. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    145
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    17
    Reviews
    0
    Steal away

  11. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,070
    Thanks
    6,305
    Thanked
    17,339
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by tootsiegirl View Post
    I don't believe any child should need to cope with the pressure these schools are putting on the test performance and results (very much my point that the stress is coming from how the test is presented to the children). But I disagree that they don't have the coping skills or the ability to begin to build them for a test situation. I worry too that by withdrawing children from it, the message is sent that that is how to deal with new situations and they either expect to be withdrawn again in 2 years time when they are 11 (NAPLAN is sat for most children at ages 8-9 10-11 in primary school I believe) or double the panic as they haven't yet experienced the situation and are going in cold.

    I think the op is in an awful situation with this though as because the school has already built this pressure I'm not sure the 'damage' could be undone before the test at this point. It would be great if she sat it and was able to experience the pride in her coping skills however I can see that it could also go the opposite way and she'll stress and panic that she hasn't performed as well as she could...toughie.
    I somewhat agree, but it needs to be age appropriate. Clearly an 8 yo doesn't have, nor is able to develop the coping skills of a high school child. Yes, in order to develop those skills they have to experience test conditions. But surely there is a middle ground? All this seems to be doing, is teaching young children that test scores mean everything and creating severe anxiety.

    I'm starting a teaching degree in July and really hating the emphasis and pressure some schools place on little kids.

  12. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked
    124
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I somewhat agree, but it needs to be age appropriate. Clearly an 8 yo doesn't have, nor is able to develop the coping skills of a high school child. Yes, in order to develop those skills they have to experience test conditions. But surely there is a middle ground? All this seems to be doing, is teaching young children that test scores mean everything and creating severe anxiety.

    I'm starting a teaching degree in July and really hating the emphasis and pressure some schools place on little kids.
    I completely agree with everything you're saying. On the flip side, schools like the one I teach at place such little emphasis on 'tests', NAPLAN is one of the very, very few opportunities they have to experience true test situations. I love my schools philosophy as to me, test situations aren't really true to most situations in life but it seems high school (well government testing in high schools) haven't caught up with this and probably wont for a while. If schools take a chill pill and worry less about tests that are created to one dimensionally rank them these kids shouldn't need to develop unusually high coping skills.

    Good luck with your teaching degree-best thing I ever did and SO rewarding.
    Last edited by tootsiegirl; 19-04-2013 at 21:05.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Year of schooling immediately prior to year one - what to call it?
    By sweetseven in forum Preschools and Schools
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-04-2013, 14:32
  2. Naplan
    By SimplyMum in forum General Chat
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 23-03-2013, 09:34
  3. NAPLAN..yes or no?
    By MissPoss in forum Parents of Children with Special Needs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-04-2012, 11:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
House Call DoctorHouse Call Doctor can provide an urgent after-hours visit to you and your family, when urgent medical situations arise ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›