+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Do you think this is doable??

I'm stressing internally heaps at the moment and I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm living with my Mum. She's great - but I just really wish I had my own space. I've been looking up rentals and it seems that most seem to be in the $300 - $340 price range. These are for units. I'm quite happy not to have a yard even though the one for $340 has a small yard and that's including yard maintenance (which I'd be chuffed about).

My question is ... Is that doable?? I know I need to sit down out work out a budget - but the problem is I have no idea how much electricity etc. will cost. My income (including centrelink payments and child support) is anywhere from $1600 to $2400 (after tax/) a fortnight. I'm in a permanent part time job but also pick up casual hours.

Furniture wise I'm all set apart from a fridge. I have a small loan for my car which is about $60 a fortnight but I have a huge expense for upcoming surgery which will cost me $6500 plus $699 every three months for another year.

I bake things from scratch, have minimal groceries bills (like maybe $150 for the fortnight). My phone is on a $79 cap. More info is probably needed but I'm just fantasizing at the moment. Do you think it can be done??

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it can definitely be possible! I don't know much about paying electricity etc as it's covered in my rent but I'm sure if you know your figures (even a rough estimate judging from what you use at your mums) and write it all down and see how much you have after/what you need to cut down or compromise on then you should be quite right Another hubber sent me a budget spreadsheet template which was super handy for me to make my own which is super amazing
    Last edited by αληθη; 08-04-2013 at 15:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When renting, I budgeted for $10/week per person for electricity. I lived in a three bedroom townhouse with ExDP and dd. we turned all lights off when leaving the room and all appliances off at the wall. These two habits can save you an amazing amount on electricity.. I think it also depends on your state. We are in QLD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Deffinately possible as long as you budget well .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just to give you an idea on electricity. We're a family of 4 in Townsville QLD. We average $130 a fortnight usuage which is what we pay each fortnight. When my quarter bill came I owed $3 lol we use air cons pretty constant have pay tv box on constant etc so I don't think you'll use more then us. On you estimated income I don't see why you can't make that fantasy a reality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it Will be hard. I get $650 a week. My rent is $250, $50 for electricity, $23 for my phone, $25 for Internet, $37 for my personal loan $30 Off my credit card. That's all weekly then I have daycare, petrol, food and everything else we need. We don't have much left but bills are always paid.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Definitely seems doable. Go for it!
    Start off with budget meals once you move and then after a few weeks you will know how much money you have left over to add to your food budget and other things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I usually estimate $600 per quarter for electricity, so that is $200 per month or just over $46 per week. Electricity may also have a connection fee (around $80 but I could be wrong) - but it may be waived for being on a pension.

Edit - in my experience the number of people in the household doesn't effect the total electricity bill much.

Another consideration is internet. If you want a broadband connection, you need to find out what connections are available. I use naked DSL myself, and pay $60 for 250gb per month, however if watching every penny I would drop to $50 for 100gb per month. However ... broadband internet connections generally come with either a 2 year contract or an installation fee - which is difficult when initial rental terms are typically for 6-12 months.

A home phone seems an unnecessary expense these days, unless you need it for an ADSL internet connection.

If you are not locked into a plan with your phone. I suggest shopping around for a cheaper one.

Aldi have recently released their own mobile service that runs on the telstra network. It costs $5 to buy the SIM, then $35 per month for unlimited calls and texts within australia and 5Gb data each month.

I use amaysim which suits my needs and runs on the optus network (and will work on phones locked to optus). Their highest plan is $40 per month for unlimited calls and texts within Australia and 4Gb data each month. Their mid-level plan is $20 per month for $20 credit (which is enough for 220 minutes or texts, or 68 mins to 13 numbers, or 398mb excess data charge) and 4Gb data per month. If you are interested in Amaysim. Please PM me for a referral and we will each receive a bonus $10. (Amaysim costs either $2 to setup if you buy the SIM from Woolworths, or $5 including $5 credit on your account if you get the SIM mailed to you.)
    Last edited by sweetseven; 08-04-2013 at 16:38.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Two person, three bedroom house:

Electricity bill (no A/C) approx. $200/three months (or is that every two months?).
    Gas bill (heating/stove/hot water) approx. $150-200/two months (seasonal).
    Water approx. $170/three months.

Its definitely possible based on what you earn I think. Our rent is only $320/week but thats outer suburbs melb and I'm not sure where you're located.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 08-04-2013 at 16:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As far as Internet connections go, look into Club Telco. They use the Optus Network coverage and have really great rates and you have a month to month contract. I've been with them for two years and I have no complaints.