ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldengirl85 View Post
    This is right, insurance is something you have as a precaution not after the fact.... It's just like having a car accident then expecting an insurer to pay out.... Doesn't happen tht way
    It happened to me. I cancelled my obstetrics cover and then became pregnant 6 months later. My phi was happy to fully reinstate the cover on the basis I paid the difference in premium. I have been with the same insurer for 15 years.

Loyalty pays. So does just asking the question.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    It happened to me. I cancelled my obstetrics cover and then became pregnant 6 months later. My phi was happy to fully reinstate the cover on the basis I paid the difference in premium. I have been with the same insurer for 15 years.

Yes, but the OP recently changed providers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    it doesnt work like that unfortunately. she will have to pay full price for private or just go public. OP the hospitals that are in brisbane have catchment areas unfortunately so you will have to go to your nearest hospital. otherwise you would have to provide proof that you live in the catchment area via documents.
    Thanks all for your replies ladies. But FORTUNATELY Minchi it did work like that for me in the end! I phoned my insurer and was told there was nothing I could do. 2 days later I received a phone call from them to say that they would be happy to backdate obstetric cover back to when my policy started if I paid the premium difference.

So very happy with the outcome! I get to have my fabulous doctor and the hospital that I want. I'm still wondering if I dreamt the whole thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

That's great Sonja! Loyalty paid in your case - blubbering tears paid in mine! I'd only been with them for 5 months!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have had all FOUR of my children at Nambour Hospital and they were fabulous!! Spanning over 18 years! They were all absolutely awesome! I saw my midwife from my first birth at my last birth!!

Good to hear you got your cover though! Good luck for the coming months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I ask which provider your with that allowed you to do that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Some insurers *may* let you back pay the difference in cost and forgo the waiting period if your a long term customer etc. we had this happen with us on our contents insurance. We didn't have accidental breakage but if we paid the extra from the time we took out the policy they let us make a claim.

Back pay was about $300- claim was $4000. So it may be the se with health. I'd call and ask anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbalugs#2 View Post
    Can I ask which provider your with that allowed you to do that?
    Bupa

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    interesting.. I had been with Bupa and had obstetrics for years, - about 7 years and I thought we had finished having kids so I took the obstetrics off and about 10 months later I fell pregnant unexpectedly and they did not want to budge.. no matter who I spoke to. A$$holes.